My Rescue..."Stumpy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Well I saw an ad for a bearded dragon and the current owner said he could not keep him any more. He sent me pics and it is probably 5-6 months old I think and it was in a tupperware with sand and a bottlecap full of water.
He had a lightbilb shining into into it from afar and no UV light. He said his diet is lettuce and he fed him crickets once. It had been put in with another adult and his tail has been bitten off. I said that the way he was being kept was not the proper way to care for it and he said all that stuff on the internet are myths and that the pet shops just want you to buy what they sell. He said in the wild there is sand ...no water, and they eat what they can get at....Whatever! I told him I would appreciate it if he would let me give him a little something for his troubles and let me take him to properly care for him until I can find someone else who will take him permanantly. He wanted $100...for the dragon and his crap.....We settled on the money and I brought him home...I will post pics later. :angry5:

* Edit*...I got a quick video of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibRLxkzKpg4

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Congrats on your new rescue. The old owner, well, I dont really have any nice words for that.
We will be waiting on the pics.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ok so I did take pics and wanted to post them but I work nights and forgot my camera. I will post them in the morning. I did grab a video though with my phone before I left and here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibRLxkzKpg4

I have a question? If you notice in the video on his tush where his tail starts there are two bumps..What are they? he seems to move around ok and all.He also has something in his eye which looked like the spines on his face but after his bath they seem to have gone away. I fed him some pinhead crickets, salad, and and the smallest superworm I had...he ate it all up....Does he look thin to you guys? I have always had adults and never really even held a baby beardie. I put him in his own place with all his lights and seems to be ok. I also gave him a warm bath.....so far so good...no poop yet...

Pics in the morning ..I promise

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Those bumps by his tail, if he was underweight, they might be the hip bones, but he seems to be eating well, looking at that little belly, and will hopefully fill out fast. I have also seen some young ones that have a little extra scale development over the hips, similar to their shoulder pads, although never spiky as the shoulder spikes are. I'd have to see some clearer pics to say for sure. He seems quiet for a young one, do you have a vet appointment scheduled? I'm glad you got him! He needs someone who will give him the proper care and attention! :love5:

Lettuce! :puke: all over the *****!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
What a sweet faced little dragon.
And so tame inspite of the neglect.

He will thrive with your equipment and love.
High-Five for rescuing him and dont be shy about spamming us with pics every day!
I love to see rescues progress.

Holly

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well here are some pics of stumpy as promised. He seems to be doing fine this morning and ate his veggies....Still no poop....I'm worried cause the guy had him on beach sand! I have him scheduled for an appt at the vet next Monday. I also got a shot of his two little bumps on his tail and something in his eye....although I gave him a warm bath last night and it is much much better..skin maybe?
So what do you guys think the bumps and the stuff in his eye is?

Anyway...ladies and gentlemen....I give you 'Stumpy"! :blob5:

Stumpy004.jpg

Stumpy008.jpg

Stumpy009.jpg

Stumpy010.jpg

Stumpy014.jpg

Stumpy016.jpg

Stumpy017.jpg

Stumpy021.jpg

Stumpy024.jpg

Stumpy027.jpg

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Thank you for sharing!
What a sweety. Max didnt look impressed though ^_^

PS. yes the bumps on the tail joint are his weeny little hip bones. When Dex lost all her weight after laying heres were really raised like stumpys too. He just needs fattening up.
If you can get him to eat any kind of squash that will really help him bulk up. Ive had wonderful results with it when I was desperately trying to pack weight onto Ruben.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hip bones huh?...I thought that was what they were on his skinny little butt. I am definately going to try and fatten him up for a bit and I'm also going to try the squash you suggested.

Max, yea he was ok at first but then he got all blackbearded and started head bobbin and it freaked out the wife. I made the mistake of leaving the tanks side by side and Max was not happy....They are now one above the other and they cant see each other ....much better ....Thank you all again ...I will try and take lots of pics and keep all who are interested updated on his progress.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Ethelia":a5c95 said:
PS. yes the bumps on the tail joint are his weeny little hip bones. When Dex lost all her weight after laying heres were really raised like stumpys too. He just needs fattening up.
If you can get him to eat any kind of squash that will really help him bulk up. Ive had wonderful results with it when I was desperately trying to pack weight onto Ruben.
After seeing that first photo, I agree! They're hip bones! :laughing6: The other thing I can tell from the photos is that there are no fat pads on the tail, a sure sign that he needs the extra weight. Just keep that little belly round, and the weight will end up where it needs to be! My guys love the silkworms, and hornworms are also a great souce of a little extra fat! He looks young enough that he should still be eating a higher percentage of live bugs, at least 70% of his diet, 80-90 even better. After a year it should shift to veggies at 80-90%. It looks like you're off to a good start! :love5:

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well...he didnt eat anything today at all....no poop ...and his eyes are always closed. I put him in some warm water today for a bit and he seemed to enjoy it even drinking a little bit of it. I'd really like to see some poop! ( as weird as it sounds )..he was on beach sand when I got him and I want to make sure he is not impacted.

If I pick him up...he will open his eyes for a bit...kinda look around...run if I put him down, and then just sit in my hand or wherever he stops. I know it's not my lighting, I have him under a Reptisun 10. He just looks so tired in his enclosure all the time. I will give it a few more days and hope he perks up a bit and gives me my "little present". I have an appt on Mon for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom