My new baby, N'tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NthosMommy

Greetings everyone! =)

My DH surprised me with a beautiful Beardie for my Birthday. We purchased him from a pet store last Saturday, he was a spunky alert one in the group as there were 4 in the small tank. I wanted to rescue them all, but I knew I had to choose one and he looked the healthiest. I will post pics as soon as I update my Photobucket page.
N'tho is in a 20gal long tank, which will be upgraded to a 40 in a couple months as he will grow out of this one.
I did buy a snake kit(tank, cover, lights(day & night bulbs), misting spray and also bought, which I returned yesterday, a Zilla UVB Desert 50 tube. I just ordered the ReptiSun 10.0 tube(2 so I have a backup) and hood from Pet Mountain. They will love me as I will purchase quite a bit from them. I changed the day bulb to a 100w Repti Basking spot lamp. His basking side is 95(with digital thermometer) and the cool side is 78(dial).
He eats a low amount of crickets and I make sure that their size is smaller than his head. He eats some Romaine and Mustard greens and I keep it in his tank for about 4hrs. Then I supply freshly rinsed new greens. The crickets are in their keeper with carrots, apples and calcium D3 powder. I use the powder sparingly, due to reading some warnings about the powder. So I am a bit confused with how much and often to give N'tho.
Need to know the best live food besides crickets. Are Phoenix worms a good choice and are they hard to acquire? I will not feed him Mealworms as I know the dangers of their outer shell.
His lights are on 14 hours and off for 10. I do run the night time light, because our home gets a bit chilly(65-68) at night.
I have a background on the back side of his tank and don't know if that is alright to do. He is thinking that the grassy log picture is something he can jump on. If it keeps confusing him, I will take it down. He also tries to jump onto the probe for the basking side thermometer. Not sure where else to place it.
I am new at being a Beardie companion and I love reading this forum board. Very helpful and am thankful to be part of this awesome community.
I will get some photos up soon.
N'tho is approx. 8" from nose to end of his tail, so I am not exactly sure of his age. He has dark colors with orange around his dark spots.
He is a joy. =)
If I left anything out, I will add later on.
Thanks for reading and any input will be gladly taken.
Have a great Beardie day!!

NthosMommy

Original Poster
IMG_5029.jpg

The day, my baby N'tho came home.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
awwww N'tho is very handsome and looks like a pretty healthy baby by the picture :) Thanks for sharing !!
Phoenix worms are great feeders- high in calcium, small,and easy to digest. The crickets that you have now can be dusted with the calcium powder just before feeding and this will work better than having it in the container with them.
Congrats on being a new beardie owner!!! They are so much fun and it's amazing to watch them grow up so fast!! So take lots of pictures :) Welcome to the forum as well !!

NthosMommy

Original Poster
Here are some photos I took today of N'tho.
I am sorry not to introduce myself, my name is Robin and I am from snowy Central Oregon. I am a Mom of 2 boys(19 & 16)....and to a new cute member of our family, N'tho 'Sraom(named him after one of my favorite Halo Elite characters).
Here's N'tho-
IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

Bath time.

NthosMommy

Original Poster
Thanks Carrie!! =)

I just hope he will increase his appetite when the new UVB tube arrives. He is such a joy to me and I hope the relocation stress gets less and less. I handle him a few times a day and he licks my skin. Such a cute thing, and I think it is him tasting his mommy's skin. I just want to do everything right, being a new Mom and all.

This will be such an awesome place to ask questions, I am so happy to find this forum!!
=) Have a great day!

NthosMommy

Original Poster
Hi everhood =)

It's pronounced en-tho. I will create a signature banner showing my Beardie, N'tho with the Elite, N'tho, I named him after.
My boys got me into the Halo games, and I love the characters in there.

Have a great day! :)

Livey

Extreme Poster
Hii :wave:
N`tho is very cute! and such an unusual name!

he has some very pretty colours! :D

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Awww I enjoy when they "taste" /lick things. I always have to laugh when mine are out exploring and have to stop and taste a spot in the carpet or a beam or sunlight on the floor... Sounds like little N'tho is figuring out who his mom is :) I bet he will settle in shortly and start eating you out of house and home. :) The newest pictures definitely show off how cute he is :D

NthosMommy

Original Poster
Thanks so much for reading and viewing the photos. I will capture every shedding moment of growth and post them on here. ;)
Have a great day everyone!!
Robin & N'tho

NthosMommy

Original Poster
N'tho is now shedding. Poor baby, I gave him an extra bath for about 10 minutes. Gave him a nice cuddle while watching a movie and then placed him back onto his carpet. Not sure how long this process lasts, but he's just squirming around in his tank non stop. He does eat a couple pieces of Romaine along the way and he gets a great amount of water. This reminds me of my tattoos going through the itchy peeling process. He is scooting on his belly too. Wish I could do more for him.
1110001903.jpg

sirenique

Hatchling Member
N'tho is ADORABLE!! And I know what you mean about the itchy tattoo feeling =) I still pass my hands over my tats when I see Bones peeling off his skin, expecting mine to be the same... ick! I have this weird fake plant in the viv that has a base made out of tufa stone, and my beardie quickly took to the tufa as his favorite thing to rub on to shed -- maybe it'd be good to get something kind of scratchy but not harmful for him to scratch on? Tufa or even some exposed corrugated cardboard have been two of my beardie's faves. Best of luck to you, and welcomeeee!!! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom