My first attempt at a styrofoam rock platform...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarinsight

Juvie Member
Ok...so here's the progression.

Step 1:

100_4007-1.jpg

100_4008-1.jpg

100_4011-1.jpg

Step 2: FIrst coat of grout

IMG00069.jpg

IMG00068.jpg

IMG00070.jpg

Step 3: Final coat of grout. I stippled the top and the steps slightly with the brush for texture.

100_4135.jpg

100_4134.jpg

100_4136.jpg

100_4140.jpg

100_4143.jpg

100_4142.jpg

100_4138.jpg

I have yet to get the sealer, but it won't be long...I hope. :)

Fuzzy

Looks good! Very realistic, I have the styrofoam set asside to make one myself. Been debating on making a new enclosure for my new beardie on order. The enclosure will come first, then the false rock structure. Hopefully all over the weekend, already have most materials just picking up glass tracks tommorrow and ordering glass doors on Friday they should be ready no later then Monday.

guitarinsight

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Fuzzy":06ec6 said:
Looks good! Very realistic, I have the styrofoam set asside to make one myself. Been debating on making a new enclosure for my new beardie on order. The enclosure will come first, then the false rock structure. Hopefully all over the weekend, already have most materials just picking up glass tracks tommorrow and ordering glass doors on Friday they should be ready no later then Monday.

Sounds great...when can I move in?!? :)

MNbeardie

Hatchling Member
I know both MinWax and Cabot make an aerosol water based polyurethane. MinWax calls it Polycrylic and Cabot calls it Water-Borne I think. Those would probably be the easiest way to finish a project like this. Your platform looks awesome. I've been thinking about making one myself. My only concern with the Styrofoam is strength. Does the grout make it sturdy enough to support a full grown dragon?

Eric

guitarinsight

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MNbeardie":94924 said:
I know both MinWax and Cabot make an aerosol water based polyurethane. MinWax calls it Polycrylic and Cabot calls it Water-Borne I think. Those would probably be the easiest way to finish a project like this. Your platform looks awesome. I've been thinking about making one myself. My only concern with the Styrofoam is strength. Does the grout make it sturdy enough to support a full grown dragon?

Eric
After being told on the phone by the local craft store that they didn't have any...I stopped in and sure enough they had some water-based non-toxic sealer. I put the first coat on last night.

guitarinsight

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My only concern with the Styrofoam is strength. Does the grout make it sturdy enough to support a full grown dragon?

I missed this question last time I read it...yes the grout makes it much more sturdy. You can always add another "pillar" to the middle of the platform for strength as well. I put my BD on the platform when it was just styrofoam and it held him just fine.

Hey, i have a huge styrofoam rock cave/platform made, all i need to do is grout it an seal it, however my dad thnks that when i try to wash the cave to get all the poop off that the grout will just become soft again. has anyone had this problem, or will the sealer stop that from happening?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I used Mod Podge for my sealant ! It works great ! I even mixed the grout (colored) with the MP on the basking site. Dried hard as a rock and when scratched with nails, nothing came loose !
Janie.

Evin

Hpg613Dragon":8b3ff said:
Hey, i have a huge styrofoam rock cave/platform made, all i need to do is grout it an seal it, however my dad thnks that when i try to wash the cave to get all the poop off that the grout will just become soft again. has anyone had this problem, or will the sealer stop that from happening?

If grout would become soft every time the water gets on it then your tiles in a kitchen would be moving around every time u wash the floor and you are using a sealer that gets absorbed by grout and keeps all the moisture away so you will not have any problems washing it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheekypotato
Top Bottom