My beardy is dragging his back legs/ stiff back legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madamadam14

Original Poster
Thats why I had to wait so long to get a hold of feeder insects online because I went to petsmart to get crickets and there werre so many small flies in the bags and jars with them I thought they were filthy! So I had to wait to get a hold of 200 dubai roaches from dubai deli! now he has more feeders than he could ever eat for weeks when he starts eating on his own again, not having competent pet shop employees really was the thing that messed me up and my ability provide food for my baby and as I said it feels embarrassing and shameful to not be able to provide the best for an animal because of factors out of your hands. when I couldn't get crickets I supplemented for premium dried foods. and I have been feeding him every single day by syringe his carnivore care prescription food and medicine. I believe we will get through this. I talked with some one about the all living things uvb bulb Im using and what im going to do is wait for 8 months 7 at the soonest to replace it with a better hood and fixture prolly this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hj8cErTqV0

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, any improvement?
Which UVB light will you be getting, the Reptisun 10 tube bulb?
Do try to replace your UVB as soon as you can! Since it's getting warmer outside, he will love going outside daily, or at least several times per week.
The Ponazuril is an anticoccidial medication that works fast & is highly effective. The metronidazole is used for protozoans & flagelletes, etc & should work well too.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

madamadam14

Original Poster
yeah im thinkig of getting the reptisun 10 with the neat led hood too I really would like ntural lighting like that of the moon at night

Here's the thing. First off. If proper research was done ahead of time then none of those issues wouldnt have been there. Yes. Pet stores always give bad info and sell bad products. Believing them was the first mistake. And it's well known. Second was getting sub par equipment because it was the best locally. OK. So. During research it's always told to set up the enclosure before adding any animals. Make sure environment is right. All the after care sounds like yes. You're getting better and doing what you should. But it's still after the fact. After the guy is suffering. In the beginning people said to turn off the night heat light. That was ignored. That's the stuff I mean. All could have been avoided and no suffering to the beardie. It's not the person I care about but the animal. Maybe I was a little harsh. But too many people just go buy an animal and do not do proper research or setting up before hand. Scrambling to get the right stuff after isn't acceptable when it comes to another life. Does the OP seem to have stepped up? Yes. And that's applauded.

[Posted by Moderator: This member has come here to seek help and doesn't need to be told what SHOULD have been done. What's done is done. Time to move forward and show some compassion for what this owner is going through now. Please read the site policy on Rude Behavior by following this link as rude behavior is not tolerated on our forum: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65765 To the OP, we apologize for what was posted on the response above and hopefully you will continue to remain part of our forum and continue to post whatever is concerning you.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Jsilverback64":3mhvg0s3 said:
Here's the thing. First off. If proper research was done ahead of time then none of those issues wouldnt have been there. Yes. Pet stores always give bad info and sell bad products. Believing them was the first mistake. And it's well known. Second was getting sub par equipment because it was the best locally. OK. So. During research it's always told to set up the enclosure before adding any animals. Make sure environment is right. All the after care sounds like yes. You're getting better and doing what you should. But it's still after the fact. After the guy is suffering. In the beginning people said to turn off the night heat light. That was ignored. That's the stuff I mean. All could have been avoided and no suffering to the beardie. It's not the person I care about but the animal. Maybe I was a little harsh. But too many people just go buy an animal and do not do proper research or setting up before hand. Scrambling to get the right stuff after isn't acceptable when it comes to another life. Does the OP seem to have stepped up? Yes. And that's applauded.

Silverback,
Like everyone else on this forum we are passionate about our little buddies. To maliciously point and blame the OP for trying to right the wrong is NOT constructive - all you are doing is starting an argument for the sake of arguing. Yes, mistakes were made, but you can't expect someone to be immediately perfect with every single thing before obtaining a pet when they took advice from someone who should have had the right information. To assume that all pet store personnel are wrong and stating it is well known is ridiculous.
Your responses have not assisted with the matter, they are purely attacks. This forum, especially the ER forum, is about helping save the animals.

We are all trying to help save these animals, not just you.

[Please allow the moderators and administrator to handle what we feel is inappropriate behavior that way you don't get involved. Reporting it to us is the best way to help us all out. Thanks]

madamadam14

Original Poster
I did do the research and I bought all he needed before i got him only to find out the stuff I bought was no good and no I didnt ignor the turning off the light since have not had it plugged in I only ever used it one cold night
Jsilverback64":kigjbxny said:

madamadam14

Original Poster
Yay he's got his last syringe of medicine tomorrow!
Usually I have help feeding him food and medicine so I can open his mouth whilesome one puts it in his mouth but no one was home.

madamadam14

Original Poster
wow so I offered him so roaches and he took them! he ate 2 of them and then he wouldnt eat any this is the first solid food he ate in days!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he ate a couple of roaches then, he finally had a bit of an appetite.
At least he is almost done with his meds, too. I hope that helped him out. It can be
challenging getting food, fluids & or meds into them by yourself until you get used to
it.
You can also consider the Arcadia tube bulbs, they are better than the Reptisuns are.

Tracie

madamadam14

Original Poster
yeah i think i will get the acadia, however i do think there is allot of pretentiousness revolving equipment what i mean by this is... i watch hundreds of vids about beardies and i see they all used my same bulb i had in the beginning being the reptisun uvb compact even casual owners have them and they have had several beardoies for years and they all look healthy why i say there is a confusing layer of pretentiousness revolving the lighting amongst the ccommunity is the acadia is one of the most expensive bulbs and fixtures that has been reccomended to me. i also notice allot of inconcistancy revolving bugs and feeding... like, some one said as much as the beardy will eat in fiteen mins some say do 20-0 or 50 o-o i dont feel bad getting my money worth with the all living things uvb before i get a new one because it does put out well over what he needs

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like your doing an awsome job of getting things sorted out. There is a lot of conflicting information on "proper" care of a bearded dragon. It's because there are different husbandry opinions that may still be good husbandry practices. But the forum is the best place to search for information on housing and husbandry. There are a lot of people here that provide awsome information. I learn something new frequently here....and I have a lot of Pogona experience.
Keep up the good work at resolving this issue.

madamadam14

Original Poster
I hae a great updat,, i took him back to the vet and we did a poop test and found the cocidia is gone! they also gave him de wormers and said he gained weight. his back legs still dont work very well and they hardly ever move they want to see him in 3 weeks but they said the damage could be permanent... other than his legs having issues i noticed he will eat up to 6 or 5 roaches in one sitting but if i offer him bugs every few hours he will eat them

Great job! The fact that you got him into the vet speaks volumes about your care and dedication to your baby! I really hope all goes well for you and your now happy friend!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful the coccidia is gone, that's great! I am sure he feels better.
Hopefully in time, his back leg function could improve, keep working at it. Try
doing water therapy, letting him try to swim so he can get stronger. I am glad
he is eating though.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom