My Beardie's new behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Ok I think I figured this out. Sorry I'm new to the website and to posting on discussion forums. I have has my beardie Elijah since Halloween of this year. He has always had a good temperment and has been gentile and sweet. I could pick him up and hold him in my hand and he snuggles down and falls asleep. About a week ago I went to NM for a visit and my husband took care of him. My husband told me while I was gone about Elijah not allowing him to pick him up. When I came back the first thing I did was go a greet my beardie and he bit me! Now if I go into his cage he hissess and puffs his beard and lunges to try and bite me. I think he is shedding however as there are skin flakes around his cage and his color looks dull. This is different behavior then his last shed as he only lost his appetite but didn't become aggressive. Can someone help me pinpoint this behavior? Thanks!

lshuran

how old is your baby? I know mine (abt 4 months old) got really ill the last time he shedded. It could be the shedding. I doubt it was due to lack of handling. Some reach a certain age where they act like teenagers...Im sure this will pass. Make sure your dragon is eating properly and has the right lights and I am sure things will be ok.

Any pro's around here want to comment?

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Yeah Elijah has gone into full shed mode now. His stool is solid and he eats his crickets well. I calcium dust them Mon-Fri. He has a baskoing spot that is at 100 degress and the rest of the tank is at 80. His UVA UVB bulb is about 3mos old and I have it dated for 6mos old to replace it. I don't know how old he is, I got him from Petsmart where I used to work and he has just done a lot of growning since then! I'm hoping he'll come around soon. I petted him in his cage last night and he enjoyed that.
I love the website, especially the store! Not a lot of people own bearded dragons or they don't like them, I really have enjoyed coming to a place where they are so loved. :D

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Who normaly took care of your beardie? If your beardie didnt get used to him he could of seen him as a threat and responded normaly. I went on vacation for 3 weeks with my youngest daughter we had never been away from them. My daughters 17 month old went into a deep depression. We had a few of them not eat for a few days and acted weird. My hubby never took care of them much. They all went back on track when we returned home but it took another week or so for them to return to normal. They do get attached to people. I hope your beardie gets back to normal and the sheading prob isnt helping the little one either they do get quite irritated with that.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah Elijah is getting back to normal slowly with the ending of his shed. I rubbed his neck inside of his tank for a long while until he fell asleep. He was hissing at me for even coming close to him a couple of days ago. He seems to be doing much,much better.

They usually go through a rebellious period in thier life. Just keep offering affection and eventually they come around. This could take a couple weeks to a month or 2. good luck let us know what happens.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom