My beardie is always in the shade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjhab24

My beardie is always in the shade. I have a fake plant that provides some shade on her basking rock and she is always under it. Does this mean it's too hot on the rock and I should lower the temp?

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
What are the temps in your enclosure? What are you using to measure the temps?
What type of lights are you using? Wattage, type and brand-wise?

It could be because your temps are too high, or that you're using the wrong lights and it's making her sick!

cjhab24

Original Poster
I'm using a reptisun 10.0 I heard it was a good one. I hope it is 'cus it was over $40 lol but I'll buy another one if it's better for her. I'll get back to you about the heat bulb I'll have to find the package. The air temp is 105 near his basking rock.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
cjhab24":uuh7uxew said:
I'm using a reptisun 10.0 I heard it was a good one. I hope it is 'cus it was over $40 lol but I'll buy another one if it's better for her. I'll get back to you about the heat bulb I'll have to find the package. The air temp is 105 near his basking rock.

ReptiSUN is a good bulb.. hmm get back to us about the temp. Do you have a heat gun? I would take the temp OF his basking rock.Sometimes they can get wayyyy to hot. You may have to lower your wattage

cjhab24

Original Poster
I'm using a stick on dial. I've got a medical electronic thermometer that you're supposed to stick in your ear. Should I stick it on the rock and see what it says? Can I get a better thermometer at CVS or Rite Aid or some place like that?

Thanks for the advice btw, thanks to you guys I've already changed her UVB bulb to something that won't hurt her, given her a tree to climb on, started dusting her crickets with calcium/vitamins and figured out how to bathe her properly. None of this stuff the pet store told me when I asked.

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
Dial type thermometers are extremely inaccurate. The temps could be 20 degrees hotter than it reads. You will need either a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe. You can get regular indoor/outdoor thermometers at any store that sells that kind of stuff, just ask someone who works there :)

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
I'm going to be blunt.. stick on therms.. are crap haha don't waste your money they can be up to 20 degrees off. I get my digital probes from Walmart for like 10 bucks :D I don't know about the ear therms.. maybe someone else does.

cjhab24

Original Poster
K I found the box for the basking bulb. It's an exo-terra 75w "tight beam" sun glo "basking spot lamp".

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
You need to get a digital thermometer or a temp gun to measure your temps properly. There is not much to say if we do not know the exact temperature in your beardie's tank. Chances are it is way too hot in there, that's why she is hiding.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Yeah i agree, knowing the lights does nothing if we don't know what your temps are.
Take one on the basking spot. the warm side of the tank and the cool side of the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom