My beardie Hates Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehk10

My beardie hates water. He goes crazy when I spray him or drop water on his nose to gte him to drink. I took him in the shower for the first time and he puffed up. Whats wrong? :?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I suggest that you continue to try to give him baths. Sometimes beardies need to get used to baths. I know ours, starting with Redrock, we had to force them to stay in the water for 20 minutes. At first, I was lucky to get them to stay in the water for 5 minutes. Now, they I can get them to stay for 15 to almost 20 minutes.

Seacow

Hi there,
There's a few different techniques to try when getting your beardie to drink fom a dish. Sometimes they don't appear to notice the dish of water and it's only when you move the surface of the water that they'll pay attention. The dropper method works well with some beardies, drop water on their noses until they lick it off and figure out it's drinkable. I'm judging from your post you've already tried that!
I have a beardie that NEVER drinks from a water dish, despite all my splashing/dripping/squirting. If I drip water on his nose he shakes his head till it flies off. As far as he's concerned water bowls are for pooping in :roll: So maybe you'll end up like me...with a beardie who won't touch standing water unless he's pooing in it! All I can say to you is, persevere with the baths. He will grow used to them in time, and maybe even enjoy them. They all react a bit nuts for the first few but try letting him hold onto your fingers for reassurance. He WILL calm eventually. Don't give up and the best of luck getting him to drink from the water dish, but if he won't, it's not the end of the world! :wink:

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
When Pebbles was young she would never drink. Not her water dish, not her bath, nothing. After a few weeks of using a dropper, I was getting worried. To get her to drink, I put her in a shallow warm bath, dipped her nose in it, and GENTLY squeezed the sides of her mouth so the tip of her mouth opened. After that she drank a ton, and I've never had that problem since.

Maize

Hatchling Member
When I was having trouble with giving water from syringe and when my youngest was sick. I was informed by a "wonderful person Janie" to try pedialite. I got apple flaver and they love it! Also when I would give them worms sometime I put pediatlitein a small feeding dish and place worms in there. When they eat the worms they are getting liquid too. But remember they dont need alot of liquid, they get most of the water from live food and green\fruits. Baths are a plus too, my youngest swims and oldest just sits there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom