My beardie has a parasitic fungi in his eye, Microsporidia

Hi! So I I’ve posted about Mango’s eye discharge before. It’s been going on for 4 weeks now and have tried multiple things to help. Although nothing worked.

So I took him to the vet a week ago, last Monday. The vet I took him to said absolutely NOTHING to me about his eye! Mango was in shed on his tail and legs (had just started 3 days previous). She was ONLY concerned about his shed. She proceeded to take him to another room to soak him. When the vet brought him back she informed me that she attempted to put an instrument between mangos shed to try to PRY IT OFF! But that it’s “too tight on there”. Needless to say I was furious!!! She then stated to me, “I pulled a scale out of his nose so that should help his eye. Just continue the Terramycin ointment at home for another week”. With absolutely NO answers or even reasons why his eye is like that!
I was so upset and angry. So as soon as I got home I called another vet to get a second opinion. He’s new appointment was on Friday. 3 days ago. I did a day drop off while they evaluated him. The staff and vet were so kind to call me a couple times to keep me informed. What they found was that Mango as a very rare and hard to get rid of Parasitic Fungi in his eye! It is called Microsporidia. They found this by doing a swab of the eye discharge. They also found he has Coccidia from a stool sample. So currently he is on 2 eye drops and 2 oral medications. He’s doing better and there was much less eye discharge today. I’m just praying it helps!

My question is, has anybody ever heard of Microsporidia!? I’ve been researching and googling it but there’s not munch information I can find. And a lot of the articles my brain can’t comprehend (lol). I’m going to post pictures of Mango’s vet paperwork and medications down below. Also his eye swab under the microscope. (This new vet was AMAZING in giving me answers and also sending me that picture). Anybody who’s heard of this please let me know! I really need some peace of mind.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 70501498676__B63E798A-533E-4432-AD32-2F8F927A4BA6.jpeg
    70501498676__B63E798A-533E-4432-AD32-2F8F927A4BA6.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 70501500984__61CEFCA4-DB6B-40A4-9A11-57496B375715.jpeg
    70501500984__61CEFCA4-DB6B-40A4-9A11-57496B375715.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 70501503937__C75D722C-7D2F-4A74-8D79-4FFA85519B41.jpeg
    70501503937__C75D722C-7D2F-4A74-8D79-4FFA85519B41.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 70

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! So I I’ve posted about Mango’s eye discharge before. It’s been going on for 4 weeks now and have tried multiple things to help. Although nothing worked.

So I took him to the vet a week ago, last Monday. The vet I took him to said absolutely NOTHING to me about his eye! Mango was in shed on his tail and legs (had just started 3 days previous). She was ONLY concerned about his shed. She proceeded to take him to another room to soak him. When the vet brought him back she informed me that she attempted to put an instrument between mangos shed to try to PRY IT OFF! But that it’s “too tight on there”. Needless to say I was furious!!! She then stated to me, “I pulled a scale out of his nose so that should help his eye. Just continue the Terramycin ointment at home for another week”. With absolutely NO answers or even reasons why his eye is like that!
I was so upset and angry. So as soon as I got home I called another vet to get a second opinion. He’s new appointment was on Friday. 3 days ago. I did a day drop off while they evaluated him. The staff and vet were so kind to call me a couple times to keep me informed. What they found was that Mango as a very rare and hard to get rid of Parasitic Fungi in his eye! It is called Microsporidia. They found this by doing a swab of the eye discharge. They also found he has Coccidia from a stool sample. So currently he is on 2 eye drops and 2 oral medications. He’s doing better and there was much less eye discharge today. I’m just praying it helps!

My question is, has anybody ever heard of Microsporidia!? I’ve been researching and googling it but there’s not munch information I can find. And a lot of the articles my brain can’t comprehend (lol). I’m going to post pictures of Mango’s vet paperwork and medications down below. Also his eye swab under the microscope. (This new vet was AMAZING in giving me answers and also sending me that picture). Anybody who’s heard of this please let me know! I really need some peace of mind.
Did you try some raw filtered honey on the eye? If the eye drops are working that is good -- what kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a long tube fixture? I am flagging the post to Tracie shes the vet tech on here she can help w/ the eye as well --- I would advise to find a different vet - they should know better than to try and "pry" the shed off --- wow!
@Drache613

Shelbsalexis

Original Poster
Did you try some raw filtered honey on the eye? If the eye drops are working that is good -- what kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a long tube fixture? I am flagging the post to Tracie shes the vet tech on here she can help w/ the eye as well --- I would advise to find a different vet - they should know better than to try and "pry" the shed off --- wow!
@Drache613

I am using a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0. I did not try the raw honey. The new vet I am going to is AMAZING (so far) unlike the first vet she gave me answers on what’s going on. I just have never heard of Microsporidia. And in my google research could find nothing regarding this in a bearded dragon! Currently it’s day 3 of Mango being on his 2 eye drops and 2 oral medications. Today he has very little discharge in his eye but still isn’t opening it. So I’m praying that’s a good sign! according to his new vet this is a rare parasitic fungi that is pretty hard to get rid of. So if Tracy or anybody knows anything about it I’d love to know more!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am using a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0. I did not try the raw honey. The new vet I am going to is AMAZING (so far) unlike the first vet she gave me answers on what’s going on. I just have never heard of Microsporidia. And in my google research could find nothing regarding this in a bearded dragon! Currently it’s day 3 of Mango being on his 2 eye drops and 2 oral medications. Today he has very little discharge in his eye but still isn’t opening it. So I’m praying that’s a good sign! according to his new vet this is a rare parasitic fungi that is pretty hard to get rid of. So if Tracy or anybody knows anything about it I’d love to know more!
Try the raw honey -- I have flagged the post she might know more of how to treat than I shes the vet tech-- make sure the UVB is in the tank directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches --- screens block 30% of the rays --

Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you've found your new vet, fortunately. I don't have much to add regarding the microsporidia, but I hope the treatment is quick and effective. One thing to note is that Albon can be pretty rough on their systems. Make sure to offer some extra hydration and keep an eye out for lack of appetite or weight loss and report that to the vet if you see those symptoms over the next few weeks. Also, coccidia can be tough to clean from surfaces. It doesn't seem to be wiped out by bleach solutions, so you want to use an ammonia solution - or better yet a veterinary disinfectant such as F10 or Rescue or a heat option such as a steam cleaner in order to disinfect surfaces that come into contact with his poop. Using disposable substrate like newspaper can also help so you can just discard it as needed during treatment. Keeping things clean and sanitized will help prevent reinfection after treatment is complete.

Shelbsalexis

Original Poster
It sounds like you've found your new vet, fortunately. I don't have much to add regarding the microsporidia, but I hope the treatment is quick and effective. One thing to note is that Albon can be pretty rough on their systems. Make sure to offer some extra hydration and keep an eye out for lack of appetite or weight loss and report that to the vet if you see those symptoms over the next few weeks. Also, coccidia can be tough to clean from surfaces. It doesn't seem to be wiped out by bleach solutions, so you want to use an ammonia solution - or better yet a veterinary disinfectant such as F10 or Rescue or a heat option such as a steam cleaner in order to disinfect surfaces that come into contact with his poop. Using disposable substrate like newspaper can also help so you can just discard it as needed during treatment. Keeping things clean and sanitized will help prevent reinfection after treatment is complete.
Thank you! I just received a bottle of F10 that I had ordered. I’m going to mix the solution up tomorrow and clean his entire enclosure and set up a “hospital room” with very little decor. Do you know if I’ll be able to use this solution to clean his current decor? I have a few pieces of driftwood.. should I boil them to make sure they’re sanitized for when he gets better and I’m able to return them to his tank?
-I’ve also been monitoring his appetite and thankfully he actually has more of an appetite than before being on medication. Hes also perked up a ton and is alot more aware/active. Which I’m so thankful for! But I will also continue to monitor these things this next week and a half.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good to hear he has perked up. Hopefully that continues. As for sanitizing surfaces, the F10 should do a great job for the current decor. You can also use heat such as boiling or baking (on low) for the driftwood if you'd like, though the F10 should take care of surface sanitization without much issue.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Alex
I just saw this pop up in suggested reading. My little pumpkin has been having a left eye goop infection on and off as well. I keep meaning to take a sample in to have checked, but she always seems to do it on like a Friday evening and I end up forgetting about it and the sample is all dry. I'll look into the honey thing. I eat it straight, have considered mainlining it, but never thought to put it in eyes (it is anti microbial, but still)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just saw this pop up in suggested reading. My little pumpkin has been having a left eye goop infection on and off as well. I keep meaning to take a sample in to have checked, but she always seems to do it on like a Friday evening and I end up forgetting about it and the sample is all dry. I'll look into the honey thing. I eat it straight, have considered mainlining it, but never thought to put it in eyes (it is anti microbial, but still)
If you haven't seen yet...

-Brandon

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Ew, I have to buy honey at a store? Fine. lol

I have honey, but I'm sure it has pollen and other yummy stuff in it :) I guess I can buy some just for her. So I just dab it on her eye next time she gets an infection, then clean it off the next day?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can purchase raw unpasteurized honey fo use for her. If you are using it in her eye, simply
mix a small amount in with some warm water to make a little eye drop solution. Otherwise, if you
are using it in an area around the eye, you can simply use a swab to gently dab some on the scales
sparingly.

Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom