My Adventure with Riley, Phantom and Quill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I am starting a new thread to put all of my soon to come memories with me new little beardie!! I am also creating a blog if anyone is interested (I have never blogged before so we will see how it turns out :mrgreen: ) I know I have a few people who wanted me to start a new thread for this so here it is!!

I will start out by sharing Parker's old tank that is cleaned and ready for its new friend!

Here also is a link to my new friend that should be arriving in the next few days!
http://beardeddragons.co/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=205

Anyone have any name suggestions?? I was thinking about the name Riley but I will have to see if the personality fits lol.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah it definitely sucks you can't send me some but thank you for thinking of me :) Once I get some time and money I think I will order some more females if my other ones don't shed into adults soon. I keep checking for babies every couple of days. And I refill their water gels and food regularly so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or they just don't want to breed!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Are you putting quartered oranges in with them? That helps with breeding for some reason. And they love them. Don't forget, you don't have a lot of females right now and it does take 40 days before they'll give birth. Just leave the babies with them as the babies eat the mom's poop as food. It's crystalized and isn't it great that they don't smell like crickets? What else are you feeding them, they need protein but not a lot, so dog food or cat food works.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I actually keep a whole half of an orange in with them. I make my own mixture of roach chow that has dog food, honey nut cheerios, fish flakes, and wheat thins all blended up and they love that. Then I give them collards and dandelion greens like Riley.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Then they're getting all the food they need, just make sure they always have orange in there. It takes a long time for those few females to get a lot of babies going, so just be patient and add to them as you have $. I figure I have about 100 females now & about 30 males and they just keep going. I'm feeding Leo & Didi (well he's bromating right now) but no-one else wants them, so they just keep going. I have a friend who's always looking for more, so I guess I'll be calling her soon. Wish you lived closer, you'd have TONS!

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay I'm glad I'm doing everything right. I don't live that far from Canada but it's not like I could just drive yet. I'm not that close lol.

How small are the babies when they are born? Like what can you compare the to?

On another note..I just put Riley in the bathtub and went in my room to write this and then I heard a splashing noise so I came in to see what he was doing and he was like freaking out. He was swishing his tail around and scratching all over. Scratching his head and using his front legs to try and scratch his back or something. I checked the water. Its no warmer than it usually is and he had never acted like this before. He isn't shedding however his left thigh is still gray like it needs to shed. So I took him out and he was fine and so I put him back in and he seems to have settled down a little bit but he is still tail swishing and seems agitated and doesn't want to settle down. Could he just be playing in the water or should I be concerned about this behavior?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Could be playing but it sounds like he's got a shed going. I'd just leave him in the water, they all act different in the bath, some just sit there & some gallop around like my Gabriel. He still needs to soak, so just leave him there for the 20 min he needs.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay. I didn't know because he has never done that before. He has gotten big pretty quickly. I suspected another shed would be coming soon but his colors aren't even dull yet so I'm not sure if his skin would be bothering him just yet. But we will see with time. I did end up taking him out of the bathtub. I will put him in again a little later. I have to because his poops were a little runny this morning so he needs a good long soak. This time I will leave him in there whether he splashes or not! :)

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Does anyone else sometimes get a contact rash when handling their beardies??? I have a pretty bad one on my arm from where he was laying earlier when we were cuddling. This is the worst one I have had. Its not like severe but its not like the smaller ines I had before. I was just wondering if it has happened to anyone else???

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've hear of it happening, so you should lay him on a towel or blanket when he's in contact with your skin. I'm not sure if it's an allergy or just from rough scales (even though it's his belly, he still has scales). So try that, it should help.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay. I definitely will. It seems to only happen on the more tender and soft parts of my arm. Like not on my palms or my hands at all. But when I have him laying on my arm ill definitely start using a towel or something.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That would be the best, I always wrap my dragons up before I put them on my arm or my belly, it just makes both of us more comfortable.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Riley falls asleep in my blankets on my bed lol. With his head on my pillow and his body under covers. Just like a person. Its so funny. He is starting to get fussy. I think he will be shedding soon. He is looking a little gray lately.

Oh and I forgot to tell you guys that I got my first baby buggy! I was expecting multiple but I only found one baby. I did see one dropped sac but I have 10 females so I was expecting more. I guess just give it more time.

Also he seems to be interested more in greens now than bugs. is it too early for him to be making that transition?

And his lights come on at 9am and go off at 9pm but he has been trying to go to sleep around 7-7:30pm in the last week. Is that normal? Maybe because of the shorter winter days?

EDIT: I checked today and I have a whole bunch of baby bugs :) so exciting yay!

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay so I was checking on Riley a little while ago and I noticed these teeny tiny bugs on the UVB Mount in his cage. I searched everything in the cage and I looked Riley over and i didn't see anything. I don't know whether to be concerned or if they are just dust mites or something. I don't keep a top on his cage. I plan to clean his cage out tomorrow. Any advice or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom