My 5 Year old is not eating

MarkosMom

Beardie name(s)
Marko
Hi! I’ve been having issues for the past month and a bit with my baby.

Temps are 60-70 in cold and 90-100 in basking. Tank is 90 gal, reptile carpet with a small spot of coconut husk for digging. UVB is the Reptisun T5 10.0 one. He gets 12 hours of heat lamp and uvb a day. Biologically female (call him a boy since we thought he was when he was a baby and decided not to change it) but has never laid any eggs.

Lately he is not eating much, only if I hand feed him and even then only a tiny bit. He spends all his time in his cold spot or in his brumation den. Even when he basks he isn’t eating much, he used to be voracious.

He brumâtes in the winter so I don’t know why it seems like he might be trying to right now. Last year he only brumated for like two months instead of his usual 6.

He’s hardly pooping either but I think that’s because he isn’t eating. I try to feed only veggies right now since he’s overweight but I’ve had to give him bugs today because he isn’t eating at all. He hasn’t lost any weight though? He’s still the exact same weight despite the lethargy and lack of appetite.

Last time he went to the vet he was perfectly healthy just not eating much since he was about to brumate, I don’t know what to do. His vet is really expensive and isn’t that helpful. They gave me this urgent care feed to give him but he won’t eat it either and it’s too thick to force into his mouth with a syringe. Is he really sick? Or do they just do this sometimes?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! I’ve been having issues for the past month and a bit with my baby.

Temps are 60-70 in cold and 90-100 in basking. Tank is 90 gal, reptile carpet with a small spot of coconut husk for digging. UVB is the Reptisun T5 10.0 one. He gets 12 hours of heat lamp and uvb a day.

Lately he is not eating much, only if I hand feed him and even then only a tiny bit. He spends all his time in his cold spot or in his brumation den. Even when he basks he isn’t eating much, he used to be voracious.

He brumâtes in the winter so I don’t know why it seems like he might be trying to right now. Last year he only brumated for like two months instead of his usual 6.

He’s hardly pooping either but I think that’s because he isn’t eating. I try to feed only veggies right now since he’s overweight but I’ve had to give him bugs today because he isn’t eating at all. He hasn’t lost any weight though? He’s still the exact same weight despite the lethargy and lack of appetite.

Last time he went to the vet he was perfectly healthy just not eating much since he was about to brumate, I don’t know what to do. His vet is really expensive and isn’t that helpful. They gave me this urgent care feed to give him but he won’t eat it either and it’s too thick to force into his mouth with a syringe. Is he really sick? Or do they just do this sometimes?
How old is the uvb? Where is the uvb? Inside the tank? Coconut husk is very dusty I would take it out for now and look at replacing it w/ something else - he should not be brumating for 6 months 3 tops- please get your cool side basking temps up to 80ish during the day- please make adjustments and see what he does - but we need that uvb on par

MarkosMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marko
How old is the uvb? Where is the uvb? Inside the tank? Coconut husk is very dusty I would take it out for now and look at replacing it w/ something else - he should not be brumating for 6 months 3 tops- please get your cool side basking temps up to 80ish during the day- please make adjustments and see what he does - but we need that uvb on par
I think it’s about 6 months old now, and it’s on top of the mesh above his basking spot. I’ll put the heater on in his room to raise his temperatures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think it’s about 6 months old now, and it’s on top of the mesh above his basking spot. I’ll put the heater on in his room to raise his temperatures.
How are you getting temps in the tank? It should be w/ a digital probe thermometer- what kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? This is crucial for uvb placement and distance

MarkosMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marko
How are you getting temps in the tank? It should be w/ a digital probe thermometer- what kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? This is crucial for uvb placement and distance
It’s a stick on thermometer but I have two of them. The UVB is set up like this. It’s only 5’ from his baskingspot
IMG_2254.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a stick on thermometer but I have two of them. The UVB is set up like this. It’s only 5’ from his baskingspot View attachment 81317
The stickons are inaccurate for surface basking temps - please get the probe place on the hammock and get your temps - the stick on cool side is ok it will give ambient - I would get the screen opened up so the screen is not blocking the rays and get the distance 12-15 inches- you need to start w/ this and I would work on getting a fecal in for a parasites test- feed him some baby food pumpkin till he poops - take the fecal in No enemas! how is he getting water? They won't eat if they are dehydrated

MarkosMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marko
The stickons are inaccurate for surface basking temps - please get the probe place on the hammock and get your temps - the stick on cool side is ok it will give ambient - I would get the screen opened up so the screen is not blocking the rays and get the distance 12-15 inches- you need to start w/ this and I would work on getting a fecal in for a parasites test- feed him some baby food pumpkin till he poops - take the fecal in No enemas! how is he getting water? They won't eat if they are dehydrated
He only gets water from his food, he doesn’t drink it on its own and hates bathing a lot. I’m spritzing anything he does manage to eat with water (so far just a few bugs and alfalfa sprouts yesterday)

I just called my vet, I’m going to get a fecal test.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please no eb
He only gets water from his food, he doesn’t drink it on its own and hates bathing a lot. I’m spritzing anything he does manage to eat with water (so far just a few bugs and alfalfa sprouts yesterday)

I just called my vet, I’m going to get a fecal test
Please no enemas

RayBB

My beardie will be 5 on July 5th. We went through similar a couple of months ago. Turns out her calcium/ phosphate levels were really high (perfect ratio but much too high). AND she was developing eggs for the first time. She laid two separate batches.

She began to "scratch" at the surface she was on... we had to make her a dig box with EcoEarth.

Screenshot_20230616-125409_Google.jpg

We also had to feed the oxbow critical care. You can make it a little thinner AND (what worked perfectly for us) you can add just enough "repashy banana cream pie" for her to smell & taste - makes a world of difference.
Screenshot_20230616-095047_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I hope this helps. It could possibly be the issue. MY BEST ADVICE is to find a better vet, one who specializes in herpatology. Also one who is part of your team, who thoroughly listens to you & who kindly educates as you grow with your baby. (My vet is so much a part of our team! We do well-visits every six months. It might sound expensive but it's so much less than missing something & suddenly having a big sick or illness bill. I can call anytime for free phone advice if it isn't too concerning. She loves my beardie & I consider her my friend although I only see her at her office... it's worth the time & effort to find the right vet for you & your beardie. - it's also nearly an hour drive one way to her office because she's the best around [& I live in a rural area] )

If this isn't at all the issue, hopefully the critical care suggestion helps. ❤

Wishing your beardie the best!

Last edited:

MarkosMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marko
The guy he saw yesterday was a lot better. Physically my baby is perfectly healthy, just losing fat and losin it fast without eating. His fat storage is only about 40% left. I’m going to try critical care if nothing improves soon but they did send in blood work.

I adjusted his temperatures to a little warmer and I’m swapping out all his lights. I appreciate the advice, I really hope it’s just some weird behaviour and not an illness.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The guy he saw yesterday was a lot better. Physically my baby is perfectly healthy, just losing fat and losin it fast without eating. His fat storage is only about 40% left. I’m going to try critical care if nothing improves soon but they did send in blood work.

I adjusted his temperatures to a little warmer and I’m swapping out all his lights. I appreciate the advice, I really hope it’s just some weird behaviour and not an illness.
What are you getting for lights?

MarkosMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marko
Same ones as before but just new ones, in case his old UVB wasn’t working. Vet said his bones are in good shape though so he doesn’t have bone disease thank goodness. He did eat a little today so hopefully it’s progress

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
My beardie will be 5 on July 5th. We went through similar a couple of months ago. Turns out her calcium/ phosphate levels were really high (perfect ratio but much too high). AND she was developing eggs for the first time. She laid two separate batches.

She began to "scratch" at the surface she was on... we had to make her a dig box with EcoEarth.

View attachment 81354

We also had to feed the oxbow critical care. You can make it a little thinner AND (what worked perfectly for us) you can add just enough "repashy banana cream pie" for her to smell & taste - makes a world of difference.
View attachment 81355

I hope this helps. It could possibly be the issue. MY BEST ADVICE is to find a better vet, one who specializes in herpatology. Also one who is part of your team, who thoroughly listens to you & who kindly educates as you grow with your baby. (My vet is so much a part of our team! We do well-visits every six months. It might sound expensive but it's so much less than missing something & suddenly having a big sick or illness bill. I can call anytime for free phone advice if it isn't too concerning. She loves my beardie & I consider her my friend although I only see her at her office... it's worth the time & effort to find the right vet for you & your beardie. - it's also nearly an hour drive one way to her office because she's the best around [& I live in a rural area] )

If this isn't at all the issue, hopefully the critical care suggestion helps. ❤

Wishing your beardie the best!
What was causing the high calcium and phosphate levels?

RayBB

What was causing the high calcium and phosphate levels?
We were told it was her body preparing for the eggs. I took her because she had backed off of her food for about a week & it was not a normal time for her to brumate. It was at the very beginning stages of egg development.

AND (more likely) my daughter was giving her a light sprinkling of calcium (w/o D³) on her salad daily WITH her main insect feeder being BSFL. We have since changed to calcium with D³ that she gets once weekly as well as limiting the BSFL to twice weekly until her levels are back to perfect.

(Not really related but maybe helps explain why I'm so "herp vet oriented" at even slight changes:) My previous "grand-beardie" was purchased from a popular nationwide box store & was so extremely unhealthy, had serious genetic issues (due to breeding mills) that we didn't realize until it was too late to do anything about. I can't tell you how much the sum of her vet expenses were. She lived to be nearly two. I learned with her to be very vigilant about any unusual behavior - she taught me quickly how well beardies can hide a sickness or illness). I often overreact, but I'd much prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to my "grand-beardie's" health & life span! My daughter says I have some form of 'ptsd' about it, but I love my Banda-roo so much - I can't help it.

We purchased Bandi (Bandersnatch) from a reputable breader & she's always been the perfect image of bearded dragon health for 4 years & 9 months (until this high calcium: phosphate before the eggs)! The difference in health with box store vs reputable breeder is day vs night!

It was heartbreaking to have to let go of our sweet Jabberwocky so soon! She was given the best life she could have with the issues that were bred into her & she was loved tremendously! That gives me some comfort- that we fought so hard for her & that she knew she was loved, but I refuse to purchase any pet from any box store ever again. I know those poor babies need special love while they're here, but that type of breeding needs to be stopped. I've absolutely no way to affect that other than refrain from giving them my $ and to share my story.

I know this is SOOO much more than you asked for 🤗 but it helps one to understand why my knee-jerk reaction is "Vet!"
🥰

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
We were told it was her body preparing for the eggs. I took her because she had backed off of her food for about a week & it was not a normal time for her to brumate. It was at the very beginning stages of egg development.

AND (more likely) my daughter was giving her a light sprinkling of calcium (w/o D³) on her salad daily WITH her main insect feeder being BSFL. We have since changed to calcium with D³ that she gets once weekly as well as limiting the BSFL to twice weekly until her levels are back to perfect.

(Not really related but maybe helps explain why I'm so "herp vet oriented" at even slight changes:) My previous "grand-beardie" was purchased from a popular nationwide box store & was so extremely unhealthy, had serious genetic issues (due to breeding mills) that we didn't realize until it was too late to do anything about. I can't tell you how much the sum of her vet expenses were. She lived to be nearly two. I learned with her to be very vigilant about any unusual behavior - she taught me quickly how well beardies can hide a sickness or illness). I often overreact, but I'd much prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to my "grand-beardie's" health & life span! My daughter says I have some form of 'ptsd' about it, but I love my Banda-roo so much - I can't help it.

We purchased Bandi (Bandersnatch) from a reputable breader & she's always been the perfect image of bearded dragon health for 4 years & 9 months (until this high calcium: phosphate before the eggs)! The difference in health with box store vs reputable breeder is day vs night!

It was heartbreaking to have to let go of our sweet Jabberwocky so soon! She was given the best life she could have with the issues that were bred into her & she was loved tremendously! That gives me some comfort- that we fought so hard for her & that she knew she was loved, but I refuse to purchase any pet from any box store ever again. I know those poor babies need special love while they're here, but that type of breeding needs to be stopped. I've absolutely no way to affect that other than refrain from giving them my $ and to share my story.

I know this is SOOO much more than you asked for 🤗 but it helps one to understand why my knee-jerk reaction is "Vet!"
🥰
I worry about everything mine does too!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom