Mufasa and Norberta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already introduced me and Fasa, but I thought you all might like to see his cuteness, lol. I also have a question for you professionals: do you have any idea what morph he is?
82607-7214899291.jpg
82607-6370805064.jpg
Here he is sleeping in his new tree, slept in it all of last night.
Mufasa will just sit on my chest and nap or watch whats going on. ;)
One last question: Half the time he doesn't eat his crickets, is there anything I can do to help him eat?
Well, I think that's all for now! :) :)
Makayla.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad you think Imp looks better, so do I. His bones still protrude at the tail juncture, but I'm working on that.

And yes, Cierra, Nathaniel and Castiel all seem to be set on Australian time when it comes to brumation, all 3 want to sleep but they're still eating, so until they refuse food, they're still up every morning.

I woke up this morning and went to move those 3 under their lights & couldn't find Cierra. Then I remembered she was out in the sunshine on the balcony before I left. I forgot her there! *****. Luckily she found a good place to hide overnight and she's fine as it didn't get under 70 outside. Geez, I have to check them more carefully before I leave for work!

Mine all pass out not long after the lights are off, Cierra, Nathaniel and Imp stay awake until it gets darker, then they're out, but Imp is first up in the morning when the lights go on at 6a. I have to put Castiel, (who's asleep by 1p every day, had to put his hide upside down so he won't get in there yet) on his basking spot every am, same with Cierra and Nathaniel. They so want to brumate, but it's not time yet. I'd like to keep them up until August, but they first have to stop eating for a few days, do their last poops and then I'll let them. Dragons are so funny in their habits.

Gabriel, because of the aneurysm in his belly, isn't allowed to brumate, so later on he'll just sleep earlier in the afternoon, but he's up every morning.

Not sure what Imp is going to do, but I'm not going to allow long brumation with him, he needs to keep his weight up. Last year he slept for about 2 weeks and that was it, but until he's nice and fat, no brumation for him.

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yay for Imp!! SHBailey I wish Norberta would let me snuggle her and Mufasa at the same time... :roll: Glad you have a good electric company. And what a scare Deb! Glad it was a warm night.

The girls are doing pretty good, Norberta has been shedding and is getting close to being done and seems to be feeling much better. Mufasa has been great too. I need to double check when she started brumating last year so I can flip her box over to use as a hide. I'm not sure if I'll let Norberta do it this year if she tries though, she is still pretty small.
I leave Monday for another week so hopefully they both behave and we don't loose power again. We have been having a bunch of storms lately but haven't lost power since the first time. I don't have any new pics of the beardies, I have one of Olympia though from yesterday. She has gotten so big since I got her!
82607-8003257019.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Olympia is beautiful. :D

I'm glad you didn't lose Cierra, Deb. Good thing she had enough sense not to wander off. I wouldn't blame you if you get a little obsessive-compulsive about double checking to make sure you know where all your beardies are before you go to work after that scare. :shock: I know it drives me crazy when I catch myself doing something scatterbrained that might have put one of my critters in danger, even if no harm was done.

Puff doesn't seem to brumate in any noticeable way -- maybe just sleeps in a little more often in the winter. It's probably just as well since he's ADV positive. Not a good idea unless they're in the best of health and have plenty of fat reserves. I keep the heat lamps and UV on a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule year round, but I'm sure that he can see the difference in the light coming in through the window. It's harder to get him to settle down at bedtime in the summer when the sun is still up, and harder to get him to come out of his "burrito" in the morning in the winter when it's dark outside, but that's about as bad as it gets.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
All your animals seem so cute! Glad Norberta seems to be feeling better!

Olympia is adorable, what kinda python is she? (Sorry, i know that look like ball.) She is goregous though and I jealous that you have her!

You have so many scaley babies! And furry babies too! I bet they love having you as a mommy

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SHBailey thank you!!
NinaAmbroshia Thank you so much for the complement and about Norberta! Olympia is a Ball Python, her morph is Ghost. She is pretty neat! A great contrast to the beardies. Not too many thankfully, one day I'd love to open up to more but not able to right now. Aww thanks so much!
Norberta seems to be doing almost a full body shed, yay for me, not so yay for her lol.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
So she is a Ball? :) cool, wasn't sure. Can't remember the names, but there are a few pythons that look like balls but don't get as long. She is so beautiful.

XD Ya, i guess we all have our limits. Even if sometimes it is an economical limit.

Oh! My little girl has done an almost full body shed once. I hadn't realize dragons could do it too. I had only ever seen them shed in bits and peices, but i think its really cool to see them shed so much at once. Plus look on the bright side, may not be yay right now, but. Inagine how much better she will feel once she is finished shedding.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Beardies seem to be more likely to do full body sheds (and more often) when they're young and growing. When they get older they seem to do it more in bits and pieces and less often. They can't (of course) pull it all off in one piece like a stocking the way a snake can because they have arms and legs and fingers and toes to make things a little more complicated.

I've noticed that the boundaries seem to stay relatively the same but shift a little from one shed to the next, at least the way my beardie does it. For example, he usually sheds on his back all in one big piece with the boundaries at his neck and the base of his tail and somewhere along his sides, and it usually starts coming loose in the middle before it comes off at the edges. On the other hand, his tail sheds in little pieces all over the place, which may be a good thing because I don't have to worry so much about a retained shed cutting off his circulation because it usually doesn't go all the way around his tail anyway.

We almost got a ball python for our first snake, but ended up with a corn snake instead.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
I would be both impressed and worried if i ever saw a dragon shed pull off in one peice like a snakes. I have noticed that boundary thing though. My little girls' nose seems ro be the first thing that sheds on jer and I noticed last time she shed it. That it was pretty close to the exact same spot as the first time i saw her shed.

Oh! I love corn snakes! They can be so pretty! My favorite has to be a western hognose though, they are so cute. My favorite hognose, was one named Porky. He lives at a place i used to volunteer, i have only ever met 1 hognose that had a better patten then him (and ironically that 1 was a wild one.) However, I still haven't met another hognose that can beat Porkeys' snout. :3

Anyway, do you still have your corn snake? Did i just miss the picture of the cutie? Whats his name?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Squirmles Hamilton Bailey, and yes we still have him. He's 15 years old this summer. If all goes well, I guess he's going to be getting geriatric in another 5 years or so. Our beardie (Puff Hamilton Bailey) is 10 years younger than the snake -- around 5 years old this year. We're not exactly sure of his age because he was a rescue, but the supposition is that he was about a year old when we got him.

I haven't posted any pictures because I'm going to have to get my tech-savvy husband to help me do it in his non-existent spare time. Maybe one of these days. :oops:

Hognose snakes are cute with their little turned up noses. I've also heard they tend to be drama queens and play out an elaborate death scene if they get frightened, but I've never actually seen one do it. And corn snakes come in all sorts of different colors and patterns nowadays, and breeders seem to keep coming up with new ones. Ours happens to be "amelanistic", also called a "red albino". He has a normal pattern in several different shades of bright reddish orange.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
<3 an old baby, i can't imagine how well taken care of he is. Glad the rescue found someone to love him so much.

No need to be embarressed, we all have problems with things. I've managed to actually stump mu computer teacher, by not breaking an entire program on the computer, but somehow breaking a small peice of that program that we needed for the assignment. Even he didn't know how to fix it.

I've heard of their "playing dead", however i have never seen it either. The one i knew was so laid back, that it didn't even really seem phased when a toddle. Squeezed him and pulled back, gave me a heart attack, during an educational event we were working at.

Oh my gosh! Yours striped baby sounds beyond cute.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Long ago and far away in another time and another place, I took some classes in computer programming, and I had something very similar happen. I wrote a program that had a bug in it and even my instructor couldn't figure out what was wrong. I finally just rewrote it from scratch and changed my programming strategy a little bit and the second version worked. I never did find out what was wrong with the first one. But ever since I married a man who is a way better computer wiz than I ever was, my computer skills have atrophied -- I just let him do the hard stuff.

It really is kind of amazing how easy it is to fall in love with a lizard or a snake. :love5: Some people just don't realize that it doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
:D no it does not! I had an <3 aaawww, moment with my baby girl. When i walked in earlier and found her gibing herself a soak on her water dish.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Our cornsnake has a little tray of cloth maple leaves to hide in, and I get the "aaawww" reaction whenever I find him snuggled up in the leaves, when I can spot him, that is. The leaves are fall colors -- varying shades of orange, and I'm not sure if he realizes how well camouflaged he is when he gets in there. I guess it's sort of like seeing your little boy tucked into bed asleep (and staying out of trouble for once), although I wouldn't know for sure because I never had any human children.

Just make sure the water in your baby girl's dish is warm and shallow so she can't drown in it or get too cold.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Oh my gosh! The mental image of a corn snake poking his head out of a binch of leaves is too adorable for words. <3 it really is.

Her bowl is quiet shallow and the water is warm. Only I saw her doing it yesterday too. As adorable as it is watching her enjoy a soak. I realized something </3 she may be getting too hot. A few days ago we jad a heat index of 106. Yesterday around lunch time it was 98. She is currently in 20 gallon tank, (i am in the middle of setting up her 40 gallon,) at work. Its on a building, while not out in the open. Can be greatly affected by the weather outside, especially since we never close any of its' doors.

So i think i am goung to take her with me during my linch break to enjoy AC during the hottest part of the day

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Back!
Norberta behaved herself a bit better than last time, was thrilled to see me Friday when I got home. Mufasa is doing fantastic, had a lot of energy. Norberta looks like a ghost atm as the shed still hasn't come off. I'll try and get new pics this week, I took a few of Mufasa yesterday but they aren't on my computer yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom