Mojo needs help now!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissFirefly

Hatchling Member
Bearded Dragons cannot feel heat from their stomachs so even if the temp is controlled it's not beneficial to them. If you need an additional heat source that doesn't give off light then please look into a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) as they are a much safer/appropriate heat source.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Please no heat rock. Their bellies can get burned so easily for them and it's just a really sad thing when people use heat rocks. They malfunction. They also get 'hot spots' and your dragon won't realize that he is getting burned until it is too late.

Mojo already has enough problems right now and he doesn't need a burn, too. :shock: pleeeeease I beg you no heat rock.

What are your night time temperatures?

Since you have decided to keep him, it is time for us to go over your set up and we will tell you want to do in order to tweak his environment so he recovers better. Are you receptive to that? If you are going to spend the hours and they money to get him recovered, then you need to make sure your husbandry is the best that it can be.

What size and kind of enclosure do you have him in? How are you measuring your temps?

shanice

Original Poster
he is in a big tank like the other dragon but not with her and he has the light on him all day cuz no sun here today and its cold and for night its like 80 on a good night but when you wake up cuz the sun is right on them will get about 100 with no fans or anything but like today is like 40 maybe 50 in my room right now but its 84 in there tanks right now. i try to make there homes like if they where wild that is how the other person had it there whole life and they where fine till she stop taking care of them. i wont put a heat rock in.

RainMaiden

You are using sunlight to heat the tanks? That is not an appropriate way to heat tanks, nor reliable. Not to mention glass will prevent the needed UVB rays from getting to the beardies.

Measure the tank, then we can tell you the size of it in gallons.

So the tank is usually 80 at night and 100 during the day? The exception being today where it is only 84. :shock: No wonder you are having problems. Beardies need a temp of at least 95 in the basking spot to properly digest food.

Please move the enclosures so they do not get any direct sunlight. You need to set up the tanks with UVB light and a basking light ASAP.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
shanice":34i57kg8 said:
he is in a big tank like the other dragon but not with her and he has the light on him all day cuz no sun here today and its cold and for night its like 80 on a good night but when you wake up cuz the sun is right on them will get about 100 with no fans or anything but like today is like 40 maybe 50 in my room right now but its 84 in there tanks right now. i try to make there homes like if they where wild that is how the other person had it there whole life and they where fine till she stop taking care of them. i wont put a heat rock in.

You're awesome. Thank you for not doing the heat rock. My sister rescues snakes and she has seen so many burns from heat rocks. I have learned quite a bit from her. :D

If your ambient temp in the tank is above 65 at night you a normally fine for a healthy dragon. Recovering dragons do better if they are kept warm so their bodies can continue using any nutrients and supplements that you are giving, and it boosts their immune systems. Do you know what a ceramic heat emitter is? It would screw into the dome just like a basking light and it gives off heat but no lights. That's what we use at nite for heat, to keep the temps around 85 for a recovering dragon, and in the winter we use it to keep the tanks above 65. I have a rescue dragon, and the first 3 months I had him he slept under a heat emitter at night. I think it helped him, especially with waking up in the morning and being ready to eat, and eating a bit more, too.

Tonight I will email you some pictures of my dragons' homes so you can get an idea of what kind of lighting, etc that is optimal for them. Maybe that will help you a bit.

I will also send you information on supplements that you need to buy and I will explain to you why they are needed and how to use them. I'm at work and I can't post links from an iPad, but I will get back to you later. You are by no means out of the woods with Mojo and he still may die. Organ failure is a big cause of death in rescues, and it's hard to tell what is going on with their organs unless they are taken to a vet and have blood work. I had a lot of success with my rescue, so I feel really good about passing on what I have learned. If you want to see my rescue, he has a thread link in my signature. It is Papa Smurf.

I'll get back with you soon. :D

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
I am glad you are learning from the group! I am the head of the rescue everyone is talking about and I know you don't want to surrender them. But I was wondering how dose you where to nh? I might beable to get to Somersworth nh this week and I could meet with you show you a few tricks.

anc90

Hatchling Member
The reason they say heat rocks are not good is because they can easily burn their bellies,and beardies need heat from their top side,not their belly.
Glad things are looking better.
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom