Minimum Dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
Im going haywire managing lots of free tanks and drafting up a large structure. The problem is I have different sized BDs and not sure what minimum stress free dimensions are.

Adults
Ive found 18'' depth is pretty much required otherwise it will rattle them.
I would imagine 2' wide would be required.
Is 18'' tall enough? can it be lowered to 15 or even 12 without stressing them out?

Hatch-ling - 3 month
With housing the adults in the same structure, there will automatically be an 18'' or 24'' depth
I have seen widths for these little guys going as tight as perhaps 8 inches. Can it go to 6 without stressing them?
Probably would be done in unison with above, assuming safety is resolved can they go to 15'' or even 12''?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
36" x 18" floor space Minimum.
48" x 24" floor space Recommended.
Height is 15" Minimum and 18-24" Recommended (depending on how your lights are mounted/placed).

Those measurements work for pretty much any dragon, babies can usually handle the extra space
after a short adjustment time. I started all my dragons in their forever home cages without any problems.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much for your adult guidelines. The hatching should be sold before 5 months so i would appreciate any insight on smaller caging

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
For hatchlings, it really depends on how old/big they are.

You can certainly keep them in adult sized enclosures (we did with ours),
or you can keep them in smaller ones and move up as they grow [assuming they are ones you're keeping].

Keep in mind that all the ages are just rough estimates...it's size that really matters most.
You basically want to ensure that the dragon (of whatever age) has enough width room to easily
turn around without banging into the walls with head or more than a bit of tail tip; and enough
length room to walk about a bit (2-3x body length is good).

A 10 gallon tank is acceptable from about hatching to 1 month.
A 20 gallon can hold you up to about 4-6 months.
After that you'll want a 40 breeder (ie minimum adult size).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom