Micro greens?

lputnam

Original Poster
Hi! I bought a rainbow mix of microgreens that lists arugula, bok choy, broccoli, kale, pac Choi, radish, red cabbage, and tatsoi.
Is this safe for my beardie? I know microgreens are to be fed in moderation. Thanks!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi! I bought a rainbow mix of microgreens that lists arugula, bok choy, broccoli, kale, pac Choi, radish, red cabbage, and tatsoi.
Is this safe for my beardie? I know microgreens are to be fed in moderation. Thanks!
Broccoli is a calcium binder and should be fed sparingly, everything else is good.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Broccoli is a calcium binder and should be fed sparingly, everything else is good.
Actually, broccoli has one of the lowest contents of oxalates on that list (oxalix acid being what "binds" calcium).

That being said, the amount of oxalates in most vegetables in a non-issue as it typically is already bound to whatever naturally occurring calcium is in the plant. (thus making the calcium in the plant not usable, not to be confused with it making calcium powders non-usable, or sucking the calcium out of your dragons system...)

Broccoli is one of the best green vegetables for dietary calcium sources, but it, along with many other vegetables, offer much much more than just calcium.

-Brandon

Last edited:

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Actually, broccoli has one of the lowest contents of oxalates on that list (oxalix acid being what "binds" calcium).

That being said, the amount of oxalates in most vegetables in a non-issue as it typically is already bound to whatever naturally occurring calcium is in the plant. (thus making the calcium in the plant not usable, not to be confused with it making calcium powders non-usable, or sucking the calcium out of your dragons system...)

Broccoli is one of the best green vegetables for dietary calcium sources, but it, along with many other vegetables, offer much much more than just calcium.

-Brandon
Oh— alright, that’s what I’d been told but at this point who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom