Feeding plan for dragon

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Please help me to find the true feeding plan for a teenager dragon.
This guy's name is Foxy, he's 9 months old. Foxy weighs 370g and is 18" long.
He eats every day according to this plan:
- in the morning (1pm - 1:30pm) I give him vegetables, usually lettuce, bok choy, some pumpkin and arugula, dust them with a little calcium (approximately as if we salted his salad)
- in the evening (4pm - 5pm) he gets as many dubia as he can eat in 10 minutes (about 15 dubias size of 3/4 inch)
5 roaches mixed with calcium in a glass (very mutch, like a donut)
Once a week I dust roaches with a vitamins.
He does not like vegetables much, usually two 1-inch lettuce and one half-inch piece of bok choy leaf. I still give different vegetables, I hope that someday he will like something different on his plate.
One day a week he may refuse roaches, in which case the next day he will eat his vegetables in the morning a little more than usual.
He make a poop regulary every day (at the morning), but if he refuse dubia, then on the second day.
Over the past 2 months, he has greatly gained weight and length. His weight in two months increased from 280 grams (he was 7 months old) to 370 grams
And now I'm a little worried that he will get too much protein from dubia.
Dubia feeding is: oats, kale leaves, lettuce, carrots and apple, they also get gammarus on the basis that their total protein from all food will be 6% of the total.
So, now he is a very active guy, 2 times a day (one hour each) he walks around the house, loves to run very much (like a crazy shoelace), he is very curious and everything around is interesting for him.
He loves to jump on everything that is a little higher than him, he could just climb onto a pillow lying on the floor, but no, he will run up to it and make a jump!
Can you please let me know if feeding needs to be changed? Maybe he needs more greens and less protein?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 84

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its out dated
Nutrition Content
salads should be fed every day
I'm sorry, maybe I'm asking too many questions.
But you know everething about terrarium lighting and I want to know your opinion.
Today I was setting up a basking zone outside the terrarium and Foxy chose the highest point with maximum UVB(320-330 uW/cm2) while I made measurements, I was even a little worried about the level of UV he was trying to get. So, he pancaked for 30-40 minutes with a 10 minute break for a walk around the room.
After that, there was lunch and something happened that never happened - he ate all his salad! It was 3 times more than usual, he ate what he had not eaten before, romano, sweet potato.
Could UV have had this effect? Should I lower the terrarium lamp a bit (current distance is 11" and I have T5 12% lamp, lamp is 6 month old)? Maybe he doesn't have enough UV in his terrarium?

PS:
In the bathing area in the terrarium, its UVB level is 85 uW/cm2

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 60

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Your going to be feeding dubias everyday - then every other day feed him some treat worms as well -- make sure the aluminum surface is shiny side out if your using tinfoil -- also please get him a hide and please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for your surface basking temps they need to be 95-100 Fahrenheit for him and I would get him off the sand - it harbors bacteria and not very sanitary - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath and its easier to clean w/ a vinegar/ water 50/50 solution - wipe down w/ a clean wet towel afterwards - found at your local home improvement store or your discount store like a Walmart -- those digital probe thermometers are extremely important ---
I fixed the problems you mentioned.
I replaced old UVB by an Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit (12%, 39W) which has a best reflector (it looks like mirror).
I didn't think that reflector manufacturers could vary so much!
I want those who read this topic to pay attention to this!
My UVB lamp had an simple aluminum reflector and had a UVB level of 70µW/cm2 at 12" from the heat zone (I measured it by solarmeter).
After replacing the reflector with Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit, it is 150 µW/cm2, i.e. 2 times higher!
@KarrieRee, thank You for the tip to check the reflector, You really helped!
Right now my tank configuration is:
4.jpg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I fixed the problems you mentioned.
I replaced old UVB by an Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit (12%, 39W) which has a best reflector (it looks like mirror).
I didn't think that reflector manufacturers could vary so much!
I want those who read this topic to pay attention to this!
My UVB lamp had an simple aluminum reflector and had a UVB level of 70µW/cm2 at 12" from the heat zone (I measured it by solarmeter).
After replacing the reflector with Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit, it is 150 µW/cm2, i.e. 2 times higher!
@KarrieRee, thank You for the tip to check the reflector, You really helped!
Right now my tank configuration is:
View attachment 78496
Tank looks good --- I would replace the sand tho w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- just a suggestion - sand harbors bacteria along w/ impaction - is he still eating good?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I would replace the sand tho w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- just a suggestion - sand harbors bacteria along w/ impaction
I know sand is not the best substrate and I will change it in the future, but now, I try very hard to reduce its harmful effects, I throw out the old one (in the place where the poop was), disinfect this place and add new sand. When I run out of it, I will do as You advise.
is he still eating good?
I tried to diversify his diet of insects a little and I concluded:
- Foxy doesn't like super worms (he will eat one if you persuade him for a long time, but for the last 2 weeks I have not been able to persuade him to eat them :))
- Once a week, he can eat one hornworm (depending on mood)
- Always eats dubias (he always eats a large amount of them and then he also makes a supply in his chin)
- He eats crickets but doesn't like them as much as roaches (don't makes a supply in his chin :))

There are small changes in his behavior and diet.
I already wrote in another post that I installed a new MVB lamp in the area of his walk outside the terrarium.
And after walking and pancaking under the lamp, he really fell in love with his salad. Love for greenery has intensified after changing lamp in tank to a new Arcadia.
For example today, I offered him crickets (Jamaican field cricket), he ate only two pieces, then he went for a walk and was very happy with his salad and ate quite a lot.
It's probably too early to say that food preferences have changed, because. it's only been a two week, but last two weeks he's definitely changed some of his insects to greens.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom