Mealworms and Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Germain! I like what you had to say and those pictures were great!

In my years in the hobby I've noticed a couple things that sometimes crack me up, but more often than not lead to heated debates. If you think about it you can apply it to a lot of other things as well... Sports being one of them, in particular Baseball. It comes down to micro management where people seem to feel the need that EVERY last little thing has to be perfect when it comes to reptile husbandry. Unfortunately when dealing w/ animals you'd better be able to hit the curveball or it's going to become a very aggrivating hobby!

The fact of the matter is that we are seeing less WC (wild caught) animals in the trade and MORE CB (captive bred) animals being produced. Which for me is a much welcomed change! CB animals are SO much easier to care for and it really has opened up the hobby and made beginners actually able to get into the hobby having some kind of confidence in their skills.

For example I keep a wide array of animals here in The Roach Ranch. From a variety of snakes & lizards to the roaches, and we're even going to be getting a few Tarantulas in a couple weeks. It's 85 degrees across the board for all of them. I don't have problems w/ them. They are in fantastic health. Shedding/molting is never an issue. Aside from that each species of animal may require a little more or a little less humidity, maybe a basking spot ect. I don't breed any animals so this is a perfect set up for me. Aside from routine maintainence it really makes things easy.

What I'm getting at is the science behind the animals, their anatomy, their biology ect. will always be there. YES by all means we should keep up w/ their needs, and if necessary be able to properly identify and solve the problems that will inevitably arise. But if someone is off a few degrees, or you get a bad shed due to humidity, even impaction... Relax and rest assure that unlike 20 years ago, THESE animals that we've bred today are extremely resiliant critters. With a little time, effort, and common sense, what issues that surely would have been major problems back in the caveman days of the hobby are easily dealt w/ or avoided now, which gets us back a heck of a lot quicker to why we actually dig this hobby. The ENJOYMENT and SATISFACTION of it!

-Ian
http://www.theroachranch.com

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
i love this thread wow the info for people that didnt know that much is awesome i appluad everyone on here the info and debate as been eye opening for some and well needed info thank you so much IAN and GERM the both of you are great people and have alot of knoledge that you both have shared with alot of people on here thank you so much for all of it

and germ thank you so much for sharing your family with us i would like to welcome you on this site and hope you can learn something new maybe and hey teach a few of us some new things as well its a pure pleasure to have you on board

ian you know as always you are a huge help to alot of beardie slaves on here and thank you for all your help as well

Germ

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the welcomes and my opportunity to post my views & opinion on the subject/s.

Always glad to be of help if I can.

Germain

I suppose this can be compared to humanity. We are now in the 21st Century and we know all the 'facts' on healthy diet's, however i know four people close to me who are 'healthy' have all had heart attacks. It amazes me how during the War due to reasons beyond the control of the population they ate crap, and due to how they where brought up continue to eat crap. (My nan loves spam and lard) and is now in her 70s.

So as a species we are getting healthier, but health related issues still seem to rise :)

I know im being rather general and lots of factors such as lazy people and computers and the rest, but in general i know more people who are healthy who have been sick (mainly heart issues) than my nan has known in her whole life.

Makes you think

John

ps. kinda unrelated but it got me thinking this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom