Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
CooperDragon":120bvikd said:
That's a really good size rink! Have they set up a bucket and mop zamboni yet? I remember spending hours on a flooded are like that as a kid. It was nowhere nearly that size though. Just part of a backyard in a city lot. Didn't matter to us though.

LOL not yet, but with the new snowfall coming I told them they should try to even it out and maybe take the hose to it. My 3 year old LOVES it, to him it's the best thing ever and he cries to go out (he has little hockey skates too). It is a really good size. We don't normally get this much snow all at once, so the conditions were just right for it to form.

@JessPets - oh man...those temps would kill me. I have a heat intolerance (yay MS), and in the summer I'm pretty much glued to my house or source of cool air. When I have to go out (usually to take the kids someplace) I have to make sure to have a way to cool off. The hottest it gets here is about 30 to 35 c (rarely 40c) so that would be about 85 to 95 F (up to 104 F on rare days). But we have a LOT of humidity with it. I can vouch for there being a difference between dry heat and humid heat. Humid heat feels like your lungs are being squeezed (to me). Dry heat - I never had issues with (I lived in Calgary for a while and it's really dry there in the summers normally).

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
NBGwen":1bltkyel said:
CooperDragon":1bltkyel said:
That's a really good size rink! Have they set up a bucket and mop zamboni yet? I remember spending hours on a flooded are like that as a kid. It was nowhere nearly that size though. Just part of a backyard in a city lot. Didn't matter to us though.

LOL not yet, but with the new snowfall coming I told them they should try to even it out and maybe take the hose to it. My 3 year old LOVES it, to him it's the best thing ever and he cries to go out (he has little hockey skates too). It is a really good size. We don't normally get this much snow all at once, so the conditions were just right for it to form.

@JessPets - oh man...those temps would kill me. I have a heat intolerance (yay MS), and in the summer I'm pretty much glued to my house or source of cool air. When I have to go out (usually to take the kids someplace) I have to make sure to have a way to cool off. The hottest it gets here is about 30 to 35 c (rarely 40c) so that would be about 85 to 95 F (up to 104 F on rare days). But we have a LOT of humidity with it. I can vouch for there being a difference between dry heat and humid heat. Humid heat feels like your lungs are being squeezed (to me). Dry heat - I never had issues with (I lived in Calgary for a while and it's really dry there in the summers normally).
I am SOOOO glad it's not too humid out here.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Update** WOOT WOOT! I'm doing something right! When I first got Charlie and weighed her she was 32g..today she is 41g!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":3pmo0y2i said:
Probably not many wild lizards around, especially now. This is what it looks like in New Brunswick with another round of snow coming soon :lol:
nb-letterick-moncton-clean-up-20150203_2500kbps_852x480_2651796684.jpg

Oh my .... bugger living in that kind of climate .... too cold for me.

Small plastic bottle - separate the mealworms from the bran bedding - the supers will use it.
Freeze mealworms in airtight plastic bottle and thaw out a handful every few days in summer for the frogs, lizards, birds....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":2ee7lqhf said:
CooperDragon":2ee7lqhf said:
Probably not many wild lizards around, especially now. This is what it looks like in New Brunswick with another round of snow coming soon :lol:

Small plastic bottle - separate the mealworms from the bran bedding - the supers will use it.
Freeze mealworms in airtight plastic bottle and thaw out a handful every few days in summer for the frogs, lizards, birds....

Thought that might send you for a loop :wink:

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
kingofnobbys":2ui06yqp said:
CooperDragon":2ui06yqp said:

LOL you get used to it - but every now and then the thought of 'why do I live where my face freezes' comes to mind LOL

That's a great idea! I will do that! I still have supers left over from when Evee was with me...I'm debating saving them for treats when Charlie is old enough or just feeding them to the birds and other wildlife...

Also - here's what it looks like my way right now before our next big storm (expected today - they're now saying 25 - 45 cm....good times...)
87171-6903427904.jpg
- at dawn (that's the moon still out).

87171-6689246748.jpg
- I tried to get a shot of the whole thing for you Cooperdragon, but man, it spans into the neighbour's field now too LOL (no fences between us). It's almost NHL sized LOL

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'm thinking Charlie's older than I thought - or growing fast :shock: As I said yesterday, she's 41 g now, and I just measure her - she's 10 1/4 inches long. That's about average for around 3 months isn't it? We guesstimated when I bought her that she was 6 to 8 weeks, but based on her growth, I'm thinking she closer to 12 to 15 weeks...thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez that's a full size rink! Really nice. I hope they can maintain it after this new storm comes through.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Yeah, it's starting to fly now so I guess we'll see if the teens want to maintain it or get lazy lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NBGwen":3kvv0tfj said:
Update** WOOT WOOT! I'm doing something right! When I first got Charlie and weighed her she was 32g..today she is 41g!!!

enjoy her while she'll little and small enough to fit in your pocket .... or curl up for a nap in your hand.... I bet she's a force of nature now too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NBGwen":3jmwi4f4 said:
kingofnobbys":3jmwi4f4 said:
CooperDragon":3jmwi4f4 said:

LOL you get used to it - but every now and then the thought of 'why do I live where my face freezes' comes to mind LOL

That's a great idea! I will do that! I still have supers left over from when Evee was with me...I'm debating saving them for treats when Charlie is old enough or just feeding them to the birds and other wildlife...

Also - here's what it looks like my way right now before our next big storm (expected today - they're now saying 25 - 45 cm....good times...)
87171-6903427904.jpg
- at dawn (that's the moon still out).

87171-6689246748.jpg
- I tried to get a shot of the whole thing for you Cooperdragon, but man, it spans into the neighbour's field now too LOL (no fences between us). It's almost NHL sized LOL

The wild skinks don't seem to mind eating thrawed mealworms who have been frozen .... I expect supers will freeze up OK too so long as they don't get frozen while wet - if they are they'll stick together.

Another option if you are game to try it , is to bake the surplus mealworms and superworms and eat them yourself .... i'm told they are nice and have a nutty taste roasted.

I have seen bags of roasted crickets, roasted mealworms and roasted superworms occasionally in "health food" stores. Personally never been tempted by them, but a lot of Asian folks have them as nibblys rather than crisps ....

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Gah! I could never eat them... :puke: LOL

I'm very lucky today as I almost lost my Charlie - my loving (read stupid) cat that I thought would never bother with her (cause she's lazy as all get out) decided to JUMP INTO HER ENCLOSURE! I usually leave the doors open in the morning while I am getting her salad and such prepped - Charlie enjoys it. Needless to say, Sugar (aka cat with a death wish) has learned her lesson as I made it abundantly clear that she was in the wrong place (I hissed at her and chased her off). Enclosure doors will no longer be left open. Frig. The cats NEVER did that before - just another lesson in 'you never know'. :banghead:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That would have terrified me. I'm glad I don't have any other animals in the house. More evidence to back our recommendation of keeping animals separate even if they haven't shown aggression before.

How are you faring with the snow? My dad measured about 68cm so far in Rochester and it's still coming down via lake effect. This is from last night. It's waist high now with chest high drifts.
76248-6866297442.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom