Male or Female? I need help making the decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Hello Everyone,

I am ecstatic to announce that I've decided to purchase a second beardie. But I need your help! A little bit about my first beardie:

Sebastian - I think she is female (never had someone with experience check). She is super yellow, beautiful. I've had her since october and I think she is probably around a year old and 17.5 inches in length. And I adore her!

I have no intention of housing them together, however they will be housed beside each other (with appropriate sides blocked off).

Now, I was thinking of getting a male, so I could have one of each. But I have heard that In General males are less active? Any thoughts on this?

What things should I take into consideration when selecting gender? All I know is I I want a red one and a hatchling.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I'd get another female, for one it will remove any temptation of mating them. Plus of all my dragons, my females just seem to be alot more friendly. It might have nothing to do with gender, but my boys don't really like being picked up and carried around as much as my females. No more boys for me.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
I love my female, but she does do a pretty good rock impression, so I am not sure about the less active thing. I have read stories on here about boys pacing and head bobbing for days on end during mating season. They can go nuts. Seems to me each sex has it's downside boys tend to be more hormonal and can be arnwry and girls you have to worry about egg binding. Are you planning on getting one that is older? Because with babies there is no guarantee on the sex. If you did get two girls though as the above poster said you wouldn't have to worry about a male trying to mate with your female if you let them out together to run around.
BTW post a pic of Sebastian's tail near the vent and you can get plenty of expert opinions as we have several breeders on this site.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Vegaslizard is right, the younger you get them the less likly it is that youll be able to tell the sex. I got a youngin' at a reptile fair recently that I thought (and the breeder thought) was a female. Here a month later it's starting to look like "she" is a "he". I think they say that around 8-10 inches you can tell pretty well what they are.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im not positive sebastian is a she, 'she' head bobs A LOT. she really doesnt like her reflection. And shes never laid eggs. That was actually the next thing I was going to research, how old females are when they start to do that, but here are a picture or two

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

I dont know if that will work because her tail isn't pulled back.

Hmm I never thought of the behaviour during mating season, I dont like that idea...

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thats what I thought too. But my boyfriend thought she looked like a she. She's very aggressive to mirrors and such which is why I think she's a he. When I get home I'll get a tail pulled back picture, and then I'll be in the dog house for the rest of the night...

So if Sebastian is a he, then which would be better?

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
If she's a he, then i'd most certainly go with a she. If "he's" already aggressive, I wouldn't want to see how he'd act if he caught a glimpse of his new brother.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hahaha that is so true. I may have my hands full soon! I had planned to keep them totally separated. Female sounds like a good bet then! I am so excited :)

And I'll live if they cant guarantee the gender, my beardie was probably 4 months old when I got her so I feel like I missed the very hatchling stage.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Hatchling is fun. Just make sure you'll have someone at home that can feed her 3 times a day. They can't really be alone all day, they're very fragile

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That would be me! I don't plan to get her until september because I work full time now. But once it's september Im back to full time student and am home on and off through out the day. Ready for a baby! I wonder what other hatchling things I need to know. Are they totally different from a 4 months old?

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
They just require alot more attention. The difference between 2 month and 4 month is huge. But it's kinda like raising a puppy, it'll kinda suck at the time but you'll look back with only good memories. Haha.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Depending on how small it is. The pet stores sell some that are just so tiny it's scary. I would be afraid to take home one that was less than 6" or so, they are so very fragile. But if you get one from a reputable breeder really the only difference is tiny babies are flighty so you have to be careful when you hold them because they will just jump right out of your hand. Just have to pay allot of attention because babies can go downhill real quick if they get sick. You also have to give them smaller food of course. Tiny crix or phoenix worms. But they are so cute and it is fun to watch them grow :D
IMG_1095-1.jpg

this picture was taken after I had her for 3 weeks. It's hard to believe she was ever that small. She weighs a little more than a pound now!

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think you were right, my little girl is definitely a little boy. I havent tried sexing him since March and this is very obvious:

IMG_1259.jpg

He wont snuggle with me now after taking that picture. I got the death glare...

So a girl it is then! Hopefully..

PS Is that picture scorch?

This is how big Sebastian was when I got him (seems weird), so older than a hatchling for sure

100_5248.jpg

Maybe I just like posting pictures of him...

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I guess I forget how big "4 months" is. You should go smaller for your next kid (so forget most everything i've said) Just make sure the one you get is at least 6 inches long (still very tiny) Once they're 6 inches they are still a lot of work, but they tend to be past the "dying on you" stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom