Lump on bearded dragon back, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100155-5294470657.jpg
I've had my bearded dragon a year, she was previously owned by somebody else, when I got her she had a small lump, however it has gone bigger, does anybody know what it it, please help?
100155-1155786319.jpg

smtcgray

Hi - I posted pretty much the exact same issue this morning. It was suggested that I see our reptile vet for xray & biopsy, which we were obviously hoping to avoid. I was hoping people would chime in & say it was common & harmless :-/ Hope your guy's OK.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I actually do know what that is! We had adopted a female a few years ago who had a bump just
like that. Initially, we had put it off but tried home remedies, etc but nothing really worked. It
is most likely going to be an abscess that has been there awhile & penetrated the tissues several
layers deep.
I recommend taking her to the vet for analysis. It will probably need to be surgically removed.
If it isn't too deep, they might just do a local & cut it out. If it has compartmentalized meaning
the infection has affected several layers of tissue & it will be invasive enough to warrant a full
surgery/anesthesia.
Abscesses are caused by bacteria from an area that became infected by either a damaged scale
or other type of trauma to the scale & tissue area.

Tracie

Lizzybobs97

Original Poster
Thank you very much, in that case I'll be taking her to the vets, she will be won't she? Don't want any harm to get to her xxx

Darlenred1

My dragon has a bump exactly like that! She's had it for a few years now and it's gotten a little bigger but it doesn't seem to hurt and she still has plenty of spunk and appetite so I haven't worried about it.

I brought her to the vet this week for another issue and I asked about the bump. The vet extracted some cells with a needle and checked it on the microscope. She said they were "sonoma"? cells. She said it wasn't cancerous so just leave it alone.

Lizzybobs97

Original Poster
Darlenred1":1deun83z said:
My dragon has a bump exactly like that! She's had it for a few years now and it's gotten a little bigger but it doesn't seem to hurt and she still has plenty of spunk and appetite so I haven't worried about it.

I brought her to the vet this week for another issue and I asked about the bump. The vet extracted some cells with a needle and checked it on the microscope. She said they were "sonoma"? cells. She said it wasn't cancerous so just leave it alone.
Should I take her to the vets, I heard that if they try and do any surgery it can stress her and potentially kill her. X

Darlenred1

Yes, I would probably get it checked out. They'll probably check and see what kind of cells are inside of it and then determine if they can just let it be.

Lizzybobs97

Original Poster
Darlenred1":10p8xejp said:
Yes, I would probably get it checked out. They'll probably check and see what kind of cells are inside of it and then determine if they can just let it be.
Thank you, I will do then x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were you able to get your dragon into the vets?
Let us know how things are going & what the vet says.

Tracie

Lizzybobs97

Original Poster
Drache613":qka7t9r8 said:
Hello,

Were you able to get your dragon into the vets?
Let us know how things are going & what the vet says.

Tracie
Hiya, I am taking her on Monday and will keep you all updated thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Terrific! I am happy to hear you will get her checked out on Monday. I hope it isn't too serious
but getting it looked at is the best thing to do. Something like this just can't be taken care of at
home.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom