low calcium levels and chronic diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewl495

Juvie Member
I'll have to get a copy on Friday of Xerxes blood work and post it but the vet said that Xerxes is on the lower end of the normal range of his calcium levels. His levels were at a 12 I think she said the range was 7-50. I've been giving him the liquid calcium 5 days a week since I took him in. We will be doing an x-ray Friday to see what his bones look like and then maybe change the type of calcium. He is also on metronidazole for the diarrhea for a total of 10 days. She said sometimes the calcium levels are seen with chronic diarrhea due to infection or IBS type of thing. She also said his electrolytes and I think she said potassium was low and that was to be expected with the diarrhea.

I'm at such a loss because he was doing so well despite the on and off again diarrhea and had really packed on the weight. Then he started black bearding all day but was still eating normal. So I took him in and she gave him the antibiotics which are making him feel awful. I can barely get any food into him. He will let it sit there once I have it in the sides of his mouth. I have to open his mouth with a credit card most of the time. Is there an easier way? Its taking me an hour to get anything down him and he is starting to lose weight. He just lays down on the bottom of his viv now with a black beard and is refusing all food.

jsnsan

Juvie Member
I would just do my best to get that mouth open and syringe feed. They don't like it. But, they basically have no choice but to eat it.
I had to do that a few weeks ago.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Your right if i get it in there he will eat it, but with his MBD I have to be very careful opening his mouth and he holds his jaw clamped as tight as possible. I've been shown by a vet how to force their jaw open but I can't seem to do it that way :banghead: . I guess I'll have my vet show me on fri. They make it look so easy.

I'm just worried because he's lost 60 grams in just 5 days, meds are making him almost lifeless at times, and he doesn't seem to be absorbing much of his calcium.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
You could try plugging his nostrils with your fingertips... Sometimes they'll open their mouth if you do that.

Have you tried just pulling his lip down on the side to get the tip of the syringe in there, then sliding the tip to the front of his mouth? When I do this with Stella, once I get the syringe tip to the front (sometimes I have to kind of be persistent and just hold it against her front teeth for a few seconds) she'll open up and then I can get the tip between her top and bottom teeth.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

So sorry he is still having issues with metabolic bone disease. Many times, if the case is severe, it is difficult to get them to absorb calcium properly. Did he ever receive a calcium booster initially? The normal levels for calcium are 7-12mg/dl, on average.
Definitely post the test results as I would like to view them.
How is his activity level right now?
He just doesn't want to eat much right now?

Tracie

Mikem

I would look into some probiotics to counteract some of the negative effects of the antibiotics. Often times the antibiotics can cause more problems than they fix, if not followed by a healthy dose of probiotics following treatment.

Also, is he getting enough UVB? If your not sure about your particular bulb being a good source for him you can always try giving him some direct sunlight outdoors if possible. During the summer months i hardly ever use my UVB bulb, rather i give my beardies at least an hour of direct sunlight every day. I have read that a half-hour of direct sunlight every other day is enough UVB for beardies to properly absorb Calcium.

Regards
Mike

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just a fast update before I head out for errands and then the vet. I have been able to get a little more food in him and he is definitely feeling a little better but he is far from being himself.

Tracie I'm really confused because I could have swore she said that Xerxes was at a 12 but that the reference range was 7-50 and she wanted him closer to the middle of the range. I looked back at Kratos labs and his calcium levels were a 10 but it didn't list a reference range so i'm a bit confused. :?

Mike sounds like we're on the same page I do give probiotics and I have been giving them every day that he's been on the antibiotics. In fact I told my vet that the only time his stools would be formed is if I gave him probiotics. I try to get my guys out for about two hours every day for sunlight. I have a bird cage that I use for them. Xerxes hasn't been to happy about being outside with him being sick but after I bring him in he seems to feel better after being out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom