Looking to the future, enclosure advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Probably best to build your own for more space. The 14% might work but the 12% with a reflector might be best because it's more of a known quantity at this point. I haven't gotten a chance to test outputs or read test results for the 14% bulbs yet. Which fixture did you get? You can add reflectors after the fact on some of them (sunblaster comes to mind). It all really comes down to how far your main basking area will be from the bulb.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I think I am just about all squared away for the enclosure build. I was able to find the Sunblaster 34" t5 fixture with reflector on amazon and change my order to that. Does anyone know where to get a dimmer fixture for the basking light? I figure if I am going to build this thing I may as well do the best I can to make sure it is right. Also, what wattage basking light? I have a 100W right now, but I am sure that is too much in this kind of enclosure.

ryknoll3

lizardmom25":3ptjrz3f said:
In light of this discussion we have changed tracks. We are going to build our own 4x2x2. I really want to use the t5 light and don't want to deal with the height restrictions of a lower tank I have ordered a 34" t5 fixture from amazon. It should be good for a 48" enclosure that is 24" high. I will be doing a custom rock wall/ basking platform so I can build in some shade and various basking levels.

The fixture doesn't have a reflector. Could i get away with not adding one if I go with a 12% or 14% arcadia bulb?
If you didn't buy the fixture yet, get the Sunblaster t5 fixture from Amazon. It comes with a reflector and mounting hardware.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ryknoll3":2psv8gbd said:
lizardmom25":2psv8gbd said:
In light of this discussion we have changed tracks. We are going to build our own 4x2x2. I really want to use the t5 light and don't want to deal with the height restrictions of a lower tank I have ordered a 34" t5 fixture from amazon. It should be good for a 48" enclosure that is 24" high. I will be doing a custom rock wall/ basking platform so I can build in some shade and various basking levels.

The fixture doesn't have a reflector. Could i get away with not adding one if I go with a 12% or 14% arcadia bulb?
If you didn't buy the fixture yet, get the Sunblaster t5 fixture from Amazon. It comes with a reflector and mounting hardware.
Posted that I was able to do this just before you posted I think. that's exactly what I have coming.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can get a manual lamp dimmer on Amazon or at a hardware store. If you want to go for a (more expensive) automated option you can look into programmable thermostats like the Herpstat 1. For basking lights you might just have to try a few different wattages out and see what temps you get. The measurements vary quite a lot between enclosures so it's really a custom thing that requires trial and error. Adjustments should be made based on surface temperature readings. If you want to have better luck with dimming I would stick with a halogen bulb as they tend to dim a bit smoother and quietly than some of the reptile specific incandescent bulbs. I've had good luck using a 90w GE PAR38 halogen flood light but your readings may vary.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have my 34” sunblaster fixture with reflector, reptisun 10.0 bulb, and tacking for the doors. That was everything I had to order. I have had glass for the doors cut locally. Heading to Lowe’s tomorrow for the rest of our supplies!

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just thought I would share a progress update
96991-3163408786.jpg

My husband came up with a great solution to having a bare bulb hanging in the enclosure
96991-6836703820.jpg
Our dome light will sit over this.
I am letting the loctite on the track sit overnight and we will trim out the front and stain tomorrow.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's looking great! I like the idea of setting the dome fixture above the top. It will create some extra overhead space that the bulb would have taken.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Progress this weekend:
96991-1795776561.jpg

Front trim installed, exterior stained, and interior painted.

Next weekend will be 2 costs of poly, install the vents, silicone the seam, and install lighting. That will finish out the exterior and then I will start the interior build.

kingofnobbys":11a7u5gf said:
VenusAndSaturn":11a7u5gf said:
Its not fine mesh, its hard to explain exactly but its definitely not fine mesh like you'd see on an exo terra opening door tank for the screen top of sorts.

It's likely the 5mm gap mesh , this blocks the UV also by a significant amount see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235210&p=1809330#p1809330
the amount of UV blocked is just under 30% for 5mm wire mesh commonly used in those vivs.

This may be dumb, but I just had an idea, what I you just tore/bent/cut some holes into the mesh so that more light can get through lol. I mean, it may look dumb but if it lets more light through..

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Nice looking enclosure! I was going to comment that the light confusion aside, 18” isn’t really a good height. Having Your dome on the outside is even better, they take up so much space. Looks like a great build.

I absolutely would not use a 14% bulb in a 24” enclosure. Those lamps are strong. I really don’t recommend them without a UV Index meter to go with it, honestly. You want to keep the highest UV index below 6. Personally with a 34” 10.0 or 12% I would either have a short reflector or use some screen on the cool side for a better gradient. You can also get clever with decor to offer shade.

I took these readings when my 22” (sunblaster with reflector foxture) was new and had to adjust it to about 14” away from that platform.

71213-6512283571.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom