Looking to start a Dubia Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasouopa

im looking to purchase some roaches from the roachguy..
what do you guys suggest i staart off with..... i got two BD's and these damn crix are getting to expensive.
so should i get the starter kit? or get the 375 mixed and get the 5 extra pairs of breeding couple since its $100 and over

patrickb

Juvie Member
Get the 375 mixed + the 5 adult pairs that will get you up and going much faster. If you know how much your beardies eat a month, its a bit easier, but comparing crickets to dubia is tough as far as amounts go feeding wise. I have no experience there.

A rough guestimate: Figure out how many crickets you feed a month to the two, then reduce that amount by about 30%. That is about how many dubia you would need to produce a month to feed your two mouths. Now, I use 15 as the "magic number" that mature females produce in nymphs per a month. This is a VERY conservative number but it allows for expansion of the colony and replacement of older females that are about to die off. Basically, using the guideline above, figure out about how many dubia you will need a month, then divide it by 15. The result will be the number of mature females you will need in order to sustain and grow the dubia colony. The sooner you have that many mature females the sooner you will be cricket free. You probably won't order them and replace crickets overnight. Look at 6-8 months of colony establishment roughly before you can get rid of crickets. The more adult females you start with, the less time it takes to replace the devils minions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom