Lobster roaches not breading

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosienew

Original Poster
Thank you will get some and give it a go its all a learning curve and its realy intresting so thanks for the tip i think what may of happened is that the babies i though i had were acutaly very small ones from my first batch its prob not been a full 30 days since the first fully mature one so and they may just be all maturing at the same time as they were pretty small when i got them.
So i might just need to wait a little longer.
rose

rosienew

Original Poster
Hello hope someone can help?
look at my roaches today and found that one was laying what i think might be an egg sack i have attached at photo for you to see.
now if indeed it is an egg sack i was under the immpresion that lobster roaches layed live young so have i been sold a diffrent bread of roach

ROACHES033.jpg

ROACHES035.jpg

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
That is perfectly normal, and happens with all live bearing species. After the eggs have been fertilized, the female will transfer them to her brood chamber. This is done by extracting the ootheca (egg sac) (as shown in the picture), and retracting them back in. Take care not to disturb her during this process, as she can and will drop the egg sack and flee. The egg sack will dry out, and the eggs will never hatch if this happens.

Hope that helps!

rosienew

Original Poster
Ive just had a look and ive got babies loads of them !!
i cant belive it i thought i would never get any

A huge thankyou to all of you for your help my Beardies will be self sufficent soon .

im so excited !!!

Rosie

patrickb

Juvie Member
Hehe, with the lobsters, your next post may be along the lines of "I got too many, what do I do with them!" Once those guys start churning out young, they won't stop. And make sure you squish a cricket a day as well ---> Welcome to world of roaches!

rosienew

Original Poster
ok guys they are still breading very well hundreds of little ones i need to clean them out though can anyone give me a few idears i though i would just set up another box and pick them out but im sure there must be a better way !!
thanks for any feed back
rose

patrickb

Juvie Member
You probably don't need to clean them out now really. Roaches only need their totes cleaned on average every 3-6 months. The frass (poop and shed) doesn't hurt them and it doesn't stink like cricket frass. It is actually beneficial to leave it in their as the young babies will feast on it and get the micro-fauna their guts need to help in digesting food. Once the frass gets more than 1/4" deep, then you need to consider a real cleaning.

Realistically, about once a week, you should pick out any dead roaches and uneaten food that you have missed. Keep that stuff out of their, and you will be fine. Then once every few months it will be time to thin the frass. You can transfer all the roaches to a new clean tote or you can just remove the majority of the frass. Up to you on that. I personally like to move them to a new tote and thoroughly wash the old one.

If you just want to remove the frass: Take out all the food, dishes, and eggcartons (be sure to shake the roaches off of the eggcartons first :p ) Then tilt the tote one direction and gently tap it on the floor/counter so that all the frass falls to one end. Replace the eggcartons and the roaches will run back to them to hide. Then use a paintbrush or something similar and sweep the frass into a mini-dustpan or something equivalent. I highly recommend you put the frass in a ziploc bag or something else and place in the freezer overnight. There may be some babies in it and its always best to be responsible and make sure no foreign species get introduced to your locality, even if they wouldn't live long. Better to be safe than sorry, IMHO.

If you want to move them to a new bin: Take food/water dishes out of the old bin. Pick up the eggcartons and transfer to the new bin. If you are planning on replacing the eggcartons, then you need to actually shake the roaches off into the new bin. You likely will have stragglers left in the old bin that weren't on the eggcartons. Add one eggcarton, or better yet a paper towel tube and "herd" them into it with a paintbrush, then pick it up and shake them into the new tote. Repeat until you see none left in the old bin. Here again, I highly recommend that you be a responsible roach rancher and dump all of the old frass into a plastic bag or jug and freeze it overnight to make sure no live roaches are being disposed of.

If the frass isn't interfering with your ability to see the dead roaches and any uneaten food, then don't worry about it. When it gets deep enough that it will cover the stuff up, then you should remove some of it via any of above methods. I am sure other people have different methods too, so hopefully they will chime in with their methods.

rosienew

Original Poster
Thankyou
i think i will wait a bit before i do a full clean from what you say i think i might bit premeture.
loads of good advice i will certinaly take on board .
I def would of not thought of the freezer to make sure there were no escapees but will def do it when i do my clean and also the info on babies eating the adults waste thank you.
my freinds think im mad having roaches but my kids think its great !! they have prob learned more about bugs in the last few months than they will learn the whole time they are at school its like having a science project in the spare room.
My boy can tell you the life cycle of the roach in great detail and he reads all the comments put on here as well so thank you again for your help.
they love there dragons but getting the roaches as well gives them so much more education in what they are feeding and why it like a compleat pakage.
rose

rosienew

Original Poster
Right i know this is prob not the right place to post this but can anyone help me

I thought i would try to breed a few wax worms try to keep the cost down of feeding my boys!!
well they have hatched and i must have 1,000 at least if not more now bearing in mind that i only have 2 dragons and that wax worms are ment to be offered as a treat does anyone know prolong the life of this abundence source that i have.

rosienew

Original Poster
just a update i have thousands they certinaly know how to breed thakyou to everyone for all your help we are now selfsufficent
rose

rosienew

Original Poster
can anyone help i have just lost half my stock they have died
i think they may have got too hot as they are in the laudry room and the tumble dryer has been on most of the day they were fine yesterday and though they liked the heat
realy not sure whats happened realy fed up they were doing so well it seems like it the adults that were the worst effected
ive taken the dead ones out and the dragons have had a few they dont mind if they are dead but how long do you think i can keep them

sithcdw

Ok I don't know if I understood you. You said you had babies and now all of sudden you don't? If that's the case then your babies might be escaping, is your setup completely sealed? I have a lobster colony and I found some babies on the outside of my setup one time, so I just sealed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom