Lobster roaches not breading

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosienew

can anyone help me i have lobster roaches and they were breading well but i seem to only have adults now and no babies i havnt changed anything in there set up they are in a tank with a heat pad blacked out sides egg crates staked regular food and water and misting we were going fine but ive got no babies at all now do the eat them if i have got something wrong and not realising it please please any idears
thankyou

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm i'm not sure why but I saw someone put a plastic cup in the roach tank and put the egg cases in the cup so much of the roaches can't reach them. perhaps try this?

invictusrules

Juvie Member
Do you have any substrate? The nymphs like to burrow down under stuff. Maybe they're hiding where you can't see them easily. They're there... I just know they are... 'cause non-breeding lobsters don't exist! (Ewww... maybe the adults are eating the young??? Are they getting enough protein?)

rosienew

Original Poster
I dont use substrate as on most of the care sheets they recomend not using any just stacked egg crates
i give them a varried diet from cat dry cat food to fruit veg and even sugar cubes
i mist them daily
i dont have a temp probe i should prob get one but with the heat mat i thought it would be warm enough and they are next to the boiler and on top of the tumble dryer so heat shouldnt be a problem.
there is no mould i take any wasted food out daily.
did wounder if i disturb them too much looking to see if there are babies i do look daily
ive only two left without wings then i have about two hundred adults no babies.
they cant all be male !!
did think i might change to a plastic tub as it would give more hummidity
thankyou for your replies
any more thoughts are most welcome
rose

invictusrules

Juvie Member
Just a thought - you say they're on top of a dryer? Could the vibrations be upsetting them. (Ours shakes like crazy when it's drying.)

rosienew

Original Poster
there is a solid worktop over the dryer but i have been using it more lately so is worth moving them to see if its upsetting them thanks for the idear
rose

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
rosienew":ef6ec said:
I dont use substrate as on most of the care sheets they recomend not using any just stacked egg crates
i give them a varried diet from cat dry cat food to fruit veg and even sugar cubes
i mist them daily
i dont have a temp probe i should prob get one but with the heat mat i thought it would be warm enough and they are next to the boiler and on top of the tumble dryer so heat shouldnt be a problem.
there is no mould i take any wasted food out daily.
did wounder if i disturb them too much looking to see if there are babies i do look daily
ive only two left without wings then i have about two hundred adults no babies.
they cant all be male !!
did think i might change to a plastic tub as it would give more hummidity
thankyou for your replies
any more thoughts are most welcome
rose
i think its a few things going on. You say you mist daily this could be it. i never mist any of my totes never. it will cause mold to grow on the egg flats and you say you do it daily. Not to mention your going in the tote daily to mist this will also stress them out.
You say you might change to a tub, what are they in now and is it blackened out? If not then that’s a huge problem.
Hope this helps
Jason

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Lobsters should be breeding no matter what. I had my lobsters outside, with no food or water and they were still breeding. I finally manned up and murdered them all today with a can a roach killer. I felt bad, but it was easier then the alternative.

Pestering them daily will certainly cause them to stop breeding. I have also noticed that a lack of fresh water will drive the mature adults to eat freshly molted nymphs. My lobsters were humidity sensitive, more so than my other species. I noticed incomplete molts and knarled wing tips at around 35% humidity, thats much higher than many other species need. That said, I would agree with the Roachguy, and try to avoid direct misting in the bin. If you can, add a larger bowl of water gel, or perhaps hang a moist sponge from the lid of their bin (high enough so the roaches can't get to it).
Another option is placing them in a closet with a humidifier and possibly a space heater. This is what I do, albeit on a much larger scale, for my own roach breeding operation. I can dial in heat and humidity within a couple points of a desired target, and have it stay there all day.

Definately get them off the tumble dryer...not good at all.

rosienew

Original Poster
Thank you for all your comments
today i have bought a plastic box drilled holes it the top for ventilation and covered with mesh
placed it on the heat mat off tumble dryer !!! put a larger water supply in but used towle in the bowl so the cant drown put good quality dry cat food in and fresh veg made sure they are in total darkness will leave them alone for at least 48hrs but better change food then to keep it fresh.
keeping my fingers crossed and will give an update when i take a look
and thankyou again for all you help so far there were certinaly things i hadnt thought of
rose

ps i have also changed my set up tonight for dragons they were on sand but always had a bit of a niff about them even though i clean the viv regualy ive now put them on papper towel just till the week end when they are going to have tiles i thought that they should have substrate when i bought them that was the advice i got and it wanst untill i looked on here and found that its not realy needed .
they look very happy in there new enviroment and it will be so much eaiser to keep clean.
just need a forum like this for my sheep lol one got a dogy ear

so glad i found you all realy good advice from people that have been there and done it

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
One last thing,

It coule be a month or so before you notice an nymphs, as that is the perioud of time it takes for the female to incubate the egg sack.

rosienew

Original Poster
ok thanks for that .
i did have babies to begin with even before they all got wings do you know if the lay before they are fully mature and if so any idear at what sort of age ?

its strange realy because i put a few in a small box up near the viv to feed my dragons with but one got left behind by accident she has produced two babies on her own so she must be happy lol
rose

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
They should be giving birth to around 30 at a time. Either the others got out some how, or she ate the little ones.
They can not breed until fully mature. They are mature when they have wings.

rosienew

Original Poster
How small are they when they are born i thought they only laid one at a time but if its more like 30 they must be alot smaller than what i was looking for
thanks
rose

Gail

BD.org Addict
Newborns are around 1/8" long. You might try water crystals instead of water with a towel. You can get the crystals at plant nurseries, I believe they call it stay moist or soil moist, just add some to water, once the crystals absorb the water you can fill a dish with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom