lizard help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
hello, i heard that the winter is going to be very hard and cold, looking ahead, what should i do if the
power go's out when its 0 below freezing? like how would i keep his lights and heat-pad on?
any help tips etc; would be appreciated, thanks

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
you only need to keep your dragon warm, not basking hot. As diamc mentions chemical heat packs are a good thing to keep on hand. You can also use hot water bottles (heating the water on a sterno-stove, camp stove, grill, campfire etc.

As for heat packs, this brand designed for shipping animals and there are different sizes and durations http://www.amazon.com/UniHeat-Shipping-Warmer-hours-4pack/dp/B006YEX6MA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411695713&sr=8-1&keywords=Uniheat and do not get as hot as hand warmers (still not intended for direct contact). Both types need oxygen to function so I'm not sure if wrapping it up in a couple layers of towel might smother it or not - might need to leave part of the towel open or take the pack out and shake it up every now and then. I think the shipping packs are intended to be taped to the lid/side of a ventalated box, the pack should have instructions on it.

Last winter I read about folks making foam coolers (again, the packs use oxygen so ventilation is super important) to keep their snakes warm. The cooler helps hold the heat in and they would use hand warmers or hot water bottles for heat.

In a pinch you can also use your own body heat, just keep him against your chest under a blanket or something.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good points Taterbug. When I used the heat packs, I went around & checked each beardie's temp with my temp gun and also took out the packs & shook them once in a while. Even though the packs were wrapped up in a thick towel, the beardies were nice & snug at about 80 to 85 degrees. (yes, I even checked the temps of their bellies and they never even woke up lol) One night was completely sleepless for me since I had 5 beardies I was trying to keep warm at the time. Body heat is great too.

Since then, we have invested in Propane heaters like these and they keep the livingroom at about 72 to 75 and we also use one upstairs. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mr-Heater-Portable-Buddy-Heater&i=432333&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343332333333&kpid=432333&gclid=CMqn0rHp_cACFUoS7AodfW4AWQ

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I second the heat packs and even body heat. Keep lots of options available. I also have my lights plugged into a computer UPS which will give me a couple of hours of lights during a storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom