Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanPN81

98351-5726074348.jpg
I am soon going to be a new bearded dragon owner. This is the enclosure I am buying off of eBay for my bearded dragon when I buy the dragon in a few months. It is 48x24x24. It has 2 light fixtures which one fixture can fit a 24" T8 10.0 fluorescent bulb and a basking bulb up to 100 watts. How many watts should the basking bulb be in this enclosure for a bearded dragon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In an enclosure that size I would replace the T8 fixture with a 24'' T5 fixture. A good T5 is a much better choice than a T8 except in very small enclosures. As far as bulb wattage goes, that really varies between setups. When you have a fixed top like that it's helpful to use a halogen bulb so it can be dimmed easily. You still want to get it just about right though which can take some trial and error. I'd start with maybe a 65 or 70w halogen flood light and move up from there as needed. Shoot for a basking surface temperature between about 100-110 and a cool side surface temp between about 75-85. Adjust the wattage until you get close to that and then you can fine tune it using a lamp dimmer or dimming thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom