lighting question - replacement?? UVB output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloraBelle

Hello,
I am using a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Linear Lamp with the Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood. The fixture is mounted on the top of the inside of the enclosure (wood) with no screen between tube and enclosure.
I have a question. I have noticed that my beardie's appetite has fallen way off... some of which is beardie adolescence/puberty (6.5 months old and 17 inches long - approx 320 grams).. but I have also noticed that if I take him out in the sun for about 15-20 minutes and then bring him in the house, he seems to be willing to eat something. I am starting to wonder if my tube light needs replaced already. These fixtures are "supposed" to last a year, but I am not sure now... It's been running 14 hours a day since mid-March.

What do any of you lighting experts think? I have been looking for some UVB output test results, but couldn't find anything on this particular fixture... which makes it 5.5 months at 14 hours a day.

PS I had a fecal done on him and he has no parasites.

Thanks for reading this!

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
The T5 bulbs are supposed to be good for at least one year (at 10-12hrs/day) but without taking actual solarmeter readings it's not possible to say for sure what's going on.

You do have to be careful to use appropriate distances with the T5 bulbs because of their high output.

How far is the T5 from the basking spot and from where your dragon usually hangs out?
Is there screen between him/her and the bulb?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Might be worth checking around if there are any exotics shops to see if they have a meter to check it? The bulbs should last a year - but there are all sorts of reasons it could fail and only one way to check.

If your distances and all are correct, you could try replacing the bulb early - if it makes a difference keep the new bulb, if not use whichever you are more comfortable with. They should last a year, but depending on where you get them the price isn't any more than a T8 so you aren't out extra to replace it at 6 months.

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Thanks Taterbug... I don't think there is anywhere to get it tested around here, but I may try replacing it just to see if it makes a difference.. can't hurt... could help!

I just wish he would eat more... he looks healthy enough, but just no appetite right now at all!
Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You could try a local school, sometimes they have UVB meters for testing lights.
I wouldn't think it would be the light but, you never know. There could be a faulty light here & there that didn't last as long as it should.
How much does your dragon weigh?
Another thought would be possible brumation, it is coming up that time of year & he is technically old enough.
Switching out the light would be the next thing to do, just to see if that helps out. What type of basking light do you use with it?

Tracie

FloraBelle

Original Poster
A Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp - started with 75 watts, but had to drop to 50 watts because it was too hot.
He weighs about 320 grams.... isn't it early for brumation?? (especially since I live in the Vegas area... still super-summer here) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom