Life or Death EMERGENCY! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Bill,

I do have a concern. Exactly what are the antibiotics supposed to be treating? She has no infection, correct?
If it is possible I would really like to see those results if you can wing it, I would appreciate it.
Was she acting quite this bad before all of the meds?
I realize she was a little ill & had metabolic bone disease but now she is lethargic correct?
I think that you need to discontinue the antibiotics for a few days to see if that helps her out. You are using probiotics right? How much oral fluid are you giving daily?
Which antibiotic is she on & what is the dosage & the concentration of it? Or are they preloaded syringes?

Tracie

bill0405

Original Poster
The vet gave me the antibiotics saying that if for some reason there is an infection, that will be covered. She def wasnt acting this bad before the meds. She originally just stopped eating, but I didnt suspect the meds would be making her feel bad, just the lack of food/energy. I can tell you exactally what I am giving her when I get home. The antibiotics are preloaded syringes. Here is blood test results:

[ LIBR ] 07/14/09 RS - PCV/TP ONLY
PCV *24 *%
T.P. *6.2 *
Buffy Coat *4 *
Serum:
Icteric [ x] Hemolized [ ] Lipemic [ ] Clear [ ]
Entered by:acs

[ LIBR ] 07/14/09 4:32 PM RS - IDEXX REPTILE
I-DEXX GENERAL HEALTH PROFILE--REPTILE
*NORMALS PROVIDED BY I-DEXX*

Ca2+ 12.1 *mg/dl
PHOS 3.1 *mg/dL
TP 5.6 *g/dL
URIC 3.0 *mg/dL
comments:

Entered: acs

bill0405

Original Poster
Here were our instructions: Every 10 days: .23 ml of Fenbendazole, .6 ml of metronidazole. Every day twice a day: 1.5ml calcium glubionat. Every 3 days are the antibiotics (Ceftazidime). We were taking her every day for 4 days where they injected her with fluids and calcium gluconate. I just got home, and she is still doing that mouth thing. I also noticed today that her mid-side of her belly is twitching when she opens her mouth and sticks out tongue. I am also noticing that her sides are constantly twitching just above her rear legs. Any ideas? Im not going to give her antibiotics today unless you tell me otherwise since i dont even think she is infected

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would recommend that you not give anymore antibiotics right now. It seems like an awful lot to be giving, especially with no known reason. Are you giving her oral fluids? If not, you need to get some into her, diluted Pedialyte would be a good idea. Try putting drops on her nose for her to lick off. Are you using a Probiotic, if so, which one and how often?

The Fenbendazole is the generic name for Panacur and if her fecal is clear, I don't understand why it was prescribed. The Metronidazole is for a bacterial infection as well as the Ceftazidime. Tracie should be on a little later to go over the lab results and to give her opinion.

How is she acting tonight?

bill0405

Original Poster
We are giving her fluids. Diluted gatorade since we dont have any pedialyte. I also add some water to the food we feed her. Do you recommend i just stop giving her all the prescriptions? I'll continue the calcium, but it doesnt seem like those other ones help her. Also no, we werent given probiotics. I took a pic of what she keeps doing with her mouth. She is also flaring her throat and it almost looks like she is doing it because she is having trouble swallowing. She doesnt have trouble swallowing at all when i feed her, but this is just how it appears when she is laying down doing this.

Img0128.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She definitely looks like she is distressed and very uncomfortable. You need to pick up some probiotics to help restore the good gut flora because the antibiotics are very hard on their stomachs. You can use Benebac (the type for reptiles/birds), here's the info about it. http://www.petco.com/product/102266/Pet-Ag-Bene-Bac-Beneficial-Bacteria.aspx Your local pet store should carry it. Or you can get Acidophilus or even soy yogurt (your grocery store should have that), you have to make sure it is non-dairy because beardies can't process dairy products.

I would discontinue all meds except for the calcium. I'm sure Tracie will agree with me, but let's get her opinion too.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
bill0405":fbf2f said:
Ok. We're off to petco now to grab some of that. brb!
That's good. If you put a pea sized amt on her nose, she should lick off the Benebac, they really like the taste.

bill0405

Original Poster
Theres an issue. went to petco and a local pet store, and neither had the probiotics. I did run to jewel and grab some soy yogurt, but every soy yogurt we saw (including the one i got) contains soy and milk. Is this ok to give to her?

bill0405

Original Poster
I just now noticed that her front left hand and forearm is swollen compared to her left arm. NOTHING IS GOING RIGHT FOR HER! :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
bill0405":31070 said:
Theres an issue. went to petco and a local pet store, and neither had the probiotics. I did run to jewel and grab some soy yogurt, but every soy yogurt we saw (including the one i got) contains soy and milk. Is this ok to give to her?
Did you mean that it contains soy milk, if so, that is fine as it is lactulose-free and is actually made from soybeans. What brand did you get? You can read more about soy yogurt here: http://www.soya.be/soy-yogurt.php
bill0405":31070 said:
I just now noticed that her front left hand and forearm is swollen compared to her left arm. NOTHING IS GOING RIGHT FOR HER! :(
Can you post a picture of her left foot and leg? Is the skin discolored like she might be getting ready to shed? Sometimes their leg/foot looks a little swollen when shedding due to the fluid under the skin, hopefully that's all that it is. Does she still have her mouth open like she did in the picture? How is her breathing? Do you hear any sounds?

bill0405

Original Poster
The brand of yogurt is O'Soy. It says on the back for the ingredients "Cultured pasturized organic soymilk". Nowhere else in ingredients does it say milk...but below the ingredients it says "Contains Soy and Milk (our live active cultures are milk based)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom