LG ~ The Handi-Capable Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexsMom

Hi Jason, I am new here and spent hours reading about LG. It is a great thing you have done for LG and your other critters. LG is definately a pretty girl and we want an update! and more pics :)

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
RexsMom":1mronbe2 said:
Hi Jason, I am new here and spent hours reading about LG. It is a great thing you have done for LG and your other critters. LG is definately a pretty girl and we want an update! and more pics :)

Thankyou so much for taking the time to read about LG.

I'm afraid right now the only pictures and relevant updates I have are theses; I recently sprained my ankle while on a nature hike near my house. (I love photography so much, I actually snapped these in the hospital on my phone):

hospitalpano.jpg

0808011540.jpg

It's crazy. They know I can't even begin to think about paying for my seizure and last visit; Now they are tacking on an additionaly absurd amount... It's Monopoly money, the amounts they are talking about and they have to know it.

The thing is, I was about a mile up in the hills when it happened, so I had to walk back on the foot the mile to get home. It probably made things a whole lot worse than if I had sprained the ankle at home, but then if I were at home I wouldn't have sprained it...

My boss is mad at me for getting hurt, so even though I have the doctor's note, I am going to have to fight for my job when I get back. I lost a job like this once, before, I can't lose this one simply because my boss can't wait for an ankle to heal.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Jason, you're an accident waiting to happen! Goodness gracious!
Hope your ankle will heal soon and that you'll still have a job to go back to.

How's LG doing these days?

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I am having a hard time keeping weight on her; She's not as fat as she used to be.

Her tail looks skinny to me, I want to buy some wax worms next time I'm at the store, but lately even crickets break the bank.

I rescued her and afew other dragons back when times were better. Now that things are way tougher, I've had to let go all but one dragon, and I can't even afford her it seems.

MissT

BD.org Addict
oh Jason, I'm sorry about your leg!! Hope it heals soon!!

Jason have you thought about staring a roach colony? I'm currently trying to feed my 3 (plus pay vet bills) and I lost my job- my hubby is bringing some money in but I brought in almost double his wages eery month so we are barely scraping through. Iv decided I'm going to totally cut back my spending (I'm a little embarassed to admit this- but iv been going to the store at night, and stocking up on meat that is reduced because it is the last day they can sell it-I bought 3 days worth of meat for £1 yesterday and put it in the freezer and I buy lots of 'damaged' stock too) for the next couple of weeks so I can afford to start up a colony! I figure, if it takes off, I might be able to sell off the extras!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yea we're looking into food stamps(thats been on the back burner for a while now actually)., but I should look into the supermarket thing.

I tried the roach colony once, when I had more dragons, but LG only ate the small ones, and they didn't seem to repopulate that quickly; Trouble, Mayze and Buddy ate them all before the got a chance I guess...

Maybe I could give it another go, but as I said; LG is pretty small... She would only be able to eat the little ones unless I chopped them up.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
hope your ankle is doing good. Jason, I don't have much because times are getting tight for everyone, but if there is something I can help with, let me know. LG is such a little sweetie, and she wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your fierce love for her! You two need each other :)

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Oh my gosh I am so touched by this story.

My little one is missing a front leg from a similar pet store incident. He's also missing half his tail. The people at the pet store said they couldn't sell him the way he was and he would probably die so my friend took him and gave him to me. I am so lucky to have gotten my baby and given him a chance, much like you and your guy. It is so wonderful to see people out there that don't care if the pet is "perfect" just that they deserve to have a good life like any "perfect" pet.

Since Haku can't move as fast I feed him worms. :3

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Update;

I've been having a bit of a hard time recently, but I took some people's advice and went down to the county office for welfare and such matters... I explained that i am in need of immediate assistance, and after about 6 hours of forms and paperwork I had an EBT card that was activated but not loaded.

GR will have to wait until I complete a job hunt and vocation class, even though I'll probably have to take time off of work for all of that... So when I go to the grocery store, I can buy food but I still can't buy deodorant, razors or toilet paper(hooray)! Also, rent will be nearly impossible to cover once I am fully out on my behind(note that I am still typing on a computer; homeless people don't tend to do that)...

Which brings me to my next topic; I need to find a new home for LG... She needs to be taken care of better than I have been doing, there's no excuse. I've been broke for so long, and it's just something I just haven't wanted to face. Ever since I lost my old job I had to rehome a couple of my animals and LG is the last of them. I just can't even afford the one anymore.

I would really like to hear from any and all of you out there, but what I was really hoping was; Any of you long-time BD.org members looking to take on a special kid?

If so. send me a private message. The sooner the better: She hasn't seen a vet in a while, and the last two vets thought she was a he so...

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
blondie098":35mca19y said:
hope your ankle is doing good. Jason, I don't have much because times are getting tight for everyone, but if there is something I can help with, let me know. LG is such a little sweetie, and she wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your fierce love for her! You two need each other :)

Thank you for your kind words... No, I don't need anything at the moment. I feel like I've already taken enough from those around me; My friends, my Country, I feel like I need to work with what I have here for the time being.

LG will be with me for a while at least, that's for sure... I know what sure likes best right now, I know all her little mannerisms ands strange behaviors. I want what's best for her, and I know that right now her tank isn't even set up as well as it could be...

Right now where I'm living isn't healthy for me, so I need to leave. I don't know where I'm going, so I don't know if LG's going to be allowed to come with me...

It's a sad prospect, but that's something I didn't at all think about way back when I rescued this little critter, huddling in the corner away from all the other lizards... I just scooped it up and took it home and several years later and probably a $1000 later( :mrgreen: ), little scrapper is still alive. :)

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
RexsMom":473jtwka said:

I would like to thank you very, very much for rush ordering those waxworms to me. Those along with the crickets I got should really help put some weight back on her. I am going to use my EBT card tomorrow to buy some mustard greens, summer squash and some other healthy veggies(going to check beautiful dragons.com to bone up on my healthy veggies list right now)...

Once again, thank you so much. If you really don't want me to pay you back, I can always pay it forward; I've always liked that(someone will get paid)...

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
VerriKerri":2gjy5adg said:
Oh my gosh I am so touched by this story.

My little one is missing a front leg from a similar pet store incident. He's also missing half his tail. The people at the pet store said they couldn't sell him the way he was and he would probably die so my friend took him and gave him to me. I am so lucky to have gotten my baby and given him a chance, much like you and your guy. It is so wonderful to see people out there that don't care if the pet is "perfect" just that they deserve to have a good life like any "perfect" pet.

Since Haku can't move as fast I feed him worms. :3

That's sad the pet store owner would rather let an animal die than give it away to someone who would care enough to try and save it... That's pretty much what happened in my circumstance, only at my store the owner caved and let me have it.

With the food, it sounds sad but try squishing the heads of the prey items before giving them to Haku... Then he can wiggle and wobble after the wounded bug and gobble it up at his own speed. I feel bad for the bug, but I figure if you do it right it's painless for the feeder insect and it won't have a chance to escape away into your dragon's cage.

I used to feed LG regular live crickets and it was crazy because back when she was normal(before her stroke), she would try to chase these individual crickets around the tank until they'd hide... Now her tank's raised up so I couldn't even do that because they'd just dive under the tiles in a second and be gone for good and chirp all night long...

Nope, since she had her stroke or seizure or whatever it was, she hasn't chased a single bug, or taken a single piece of food of the ground... I have had ot literally place every piece of food up to her lips until she realize she's eating, then she starts smacking her lips and moving her tongue and trying to swallow. It's an effort, but we get it done, meal by meal, day by day. Ha; You should see us with the baby food... Oh wait, there are pics a couple pages back I think...

Anyhow, thanks for posting, and sorry if I don't answer everyone's post... I've been in a pit of self-loathing and I need to snap out of it. :banghead:

RexsMom

[/quote=]I would like to thank you very, very much for rush ordering those waxworms to me. Those along with the crickets I got should really help put some weight back on her. I am going to use my EBT card tomorrow to buy some mustard greens, summer squash and some other healthy veggies(going to check beautiful dragons.com to bone up on my healthy veggies list right now)...

Once again, thank you so much. If you really don't want me to pay you back, I can always pay it forward; I've always liked that(someone will get paid)...

I am just glad I could help. And paying it forward is what I did for you, so yes, please pay it forward.

Hang in there Jason, things do get better. If there is one thing I have reaized in this life is that there are great ups and great downs, when you get to the great downs you just keep telling yourself that someday soon I will have a great upswing! Those are the days, weeks, months that everyone lives for, but you have to get through the downtimes first and inbetween, it is like a rollercoaster.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
LG was being pretty finicky with the wax worms at first these past couple days... I had been in a hurry before work and had to feed her without taking any "winning" pics...

However, she seems to be developing a taste for them; I found her waiting to be fed by the glass today and while she still doesn't go after food, she was obviously waiting for it.

She gobbled down a half dozen worms for the camera, unfortunately I am not on the computer right now that I upload them to(this comp is 10 years older than the camera)...

Pics will be up tonight, midnightish... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom