letting them roam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
hey everyone i was just curious as to how many of us let our beardys roam the house freely and how you do it. my alec doesnt like staying in his tank so im not sure how to go about letting him roam without loseing him so anyone who does let me know whats worked for you

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
I only let him roam the room I'm in. If I leave, it's only for a second. You have to "baby proof" it. Any small places you don't want them in, block it off. I put pillows under dressers. They will probably roam around, climb on things, but mainly try to find the perfect spot to sleep. I just make sure Buddy doesn't get too cold, then I got to put her back.
I've heard of people making play pins for their beardies. Like a assortment of boxes, pillows, things to climb and hide in.

Just keep an eye on them and you should be find.

dougkara

My husband built ours a collapsible playpen area. We put pillows and things for him to climb on and even a lamp or heater so he doesn't get cold. He loves it and is protected from the rest of my zoo. It's big enough so that someone can even be in there with him.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i close doors to rooms i don't want them to get into and block off areas that they might get stuck in. i also blocked off the stairs since they both apparently love jumping up and down them, the last thing i want is for one of them to tumble down the stairs.

Tasty Treat runs all over the place and her nails make a lot of noise. Mr Dargon is silent so i need to keep an eye on him, he'll find a nice spot and go to sleep.

SeniorD

I let Finn roam the yard, I let him roam my room but I try not to let him go any further from the bed.

Also, my friend has Guinea pigs next to Finn which she turned a Foosball table into a pen for them and since it has been so cold I let him roam that with a space heater pointing at the pen.

geostraub

dougkara":3sj2mlwb said:
My husband built ours a collapsible playpen area. We put pillows and things for him to climb on and even a lamp or heater so he doesn't get cold. He loves it and is protected from the rest of my zoo. It's big enough so that someone can even be in there with him.

Would you care to post a picture? I am wanting to build one for my son and his beardie and I am looking for ideas. Thanks.

dougkara

I wish I could but my tablet doesn't want to cooperate with me. He just used 4 pieces of paneling we had and cut it to 4ftx3ft each. Then he used l brackets to connect them on each side upper and lower. Then all he has to do is put a screw in each one to connect to l bracket for it to stand upright and pull them up to break it down. It works great.

geostraub

dougkara":2ymcnunr said:
I wish I could but my tablet doesn't want to cooperate with me. He just used 4 pieces of paneling we had and cut it to 4ftx3ft each. Then he used l brackets to connect them on each side upper and lower. Then all he has to do is put a screw in each one to connect to l bracket for it to stand upright and pull them up to break it down. It works great.

Thank you, I suppose a door type hinge would work too and pull the pins that way too. Right now my son sit's in the master bath and lets his beardie run around the 1/2 carpet 1/2 tile floor. Thank you again.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
a friend of mine uses a guinea pig pin-- she got it at walmart for around 10 bucks and it works great. Juuji can climb it, but she stays there and watches her, sometimes she will climb sometimes she wont :D just another thought for you :D

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
StLouis-20120531-00318.jpg

Here is a not so great pic of the play yard we built for Big Bertha in my living room. We took 4 of the 12 inch laminated shelf boards and stood them on end and used some corner connectors from Home Depot to connect the boards. I put a plastic mat under the play yard to protect the floor and then some ceramic tiles over it. I left them loose so they could be removed eaily. That room is the sunniest in the house and she loves it there. When I first got her, I tried to keep her in another room, but she kept escaping and I'd always find her basking in front of the glass balcony door in the living room, so I built the play yard there since it seemed to be the room she wanted.

StLouis-20120601-00342.jpg

StLouis-20120601-00344.jpg

geostraub

So I take it then it is semi-permanent. I like the amount of stuff in the play yard for climbing and hiding. Thank you for the pics, it give me some good ideas.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
what is a good not perminent set i live in a small apartment for only 9 months out of the year so it will get moved alot.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
Yes, geo, it is semi permanent. It came apart easily when I took it out of the living room to put up the CHristmas tree, and it will go back together in a couple of months or so. Right now, our living room is kind of drafty, so Big Bertha is living in her 40 gal breeder viv where I can control te temps better. Trust me, when I moved her to the viv this fall, she was not a happy girl. In a couple of months, I'll put the play yard back up so she can use it this summer. Interestingly, I've let her out to run several times since she's been in the viv and she always runs to the living room. In the winter, I usually keep the French doors on the living room closed to keep the rest of the house warmer, and she always runs to the closed French doors and looks at me. If I open the door, she runs right in! She knows which room it is and where, in the house it is!

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
StLouis-20120708-00520.jpg

My husband made the climbing platform and wrapped it in an old pair of jeans so she could grip it easily. I made the little pink bed with pillows and she had several other toys. Lots of days I'd
come home from work and see her at the top of the climbing platform, staring out the glass door and catching rays. She really seemed to enjoy the set up, and at 1.5 lbs, she is a big girl to keep
confined in an aquarium.

geostraub

The jeans is such a great idea!!! I think I will borrow that one for sure. we have plenty of old things around here that I can make him some great climbing gear. I need to get some fleece to make his bed or hammock out of it. He LOVES sleeping in his cave but only seems to like that nasty brown reptile carpet. I hate that carpet, hard to clean and looks plain. I can't imagine it is comfy but then again he basks on a bark tree branch. Maybe he likes the scratchy feel?

My son has a foam bed and fleece blanket for one of his teddy bears from when he was a baby, Toothless seems to like it and is starting to claim it for himself. It is too big for his viv but the play yard would be perfect. Thanks again for the pics and the ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom