Leg no strength

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, is gout suspected? Or I'm not sure did I sprain his leg, now more obvious is his left leg and still observing. The nearest reptile vet is an hour drive away, but my husband is on block leave unable to send in this week. Any home treatment I can provide if it's a gout or sprain?

Also, our vet told us in whole Malaysia only 1 educational hospital able to perform blood test for him and it is 4 hours drive away. That's the only way can sure is it a gout or sprain right?

For now we less suspect MBD bcoz we did an x-ray on 6 Dec 2023, after that we try our best to give him enough calcium and chasing him with UVB tube, would appreciate any advice on this.

Video link

Attachments

• IMG-20231206-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20231206-WA0002.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20231206-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20231206-WA0003.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 50

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for posting the picture of the label.
Do you mean the T5 Reptisun High Output tube bulb?
If you are using a high output UVB tube & it is strong you wont really need any D3. How is he
doing today? Were you able to get the tart cherry juice ordered?
How much of the calcium are you using? It states 8.1% so that would be a concentrated solution of 81mg/ml so that makes it hard to control the amount given unless you actually dose it according to your dragon's weight. What is the weight of your dragon & I can dose that for you to be sure he is getting enough for his weight.
Sometimes just adding a drop or two into the drinking water isn't enough especially if the dragon doesn't routinely drink out of the water dish.

Tracie
Hi Tracie, I've gotten the weight of Timber is 527g. Not sure if the dosage calculation complicated? Possible can share me? In case his weight change next time I can update myself

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks. Yes, the dose is tiny since it is a very concentrated solution. What sized syringe do you have? Dosing it for just the 1mg/kg would be .006ml
which is very small. If you want directions to break it down to dilute it to a more manageable strength I can do that also.
Otherwise, you could safely round that up to .01ML once daily to help out. It can be given straight or you can mix it with some water or a bit of cherry juice.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks. Yes, the dose is tiny since it is a very concentrated solution. What sized syringe do you have? Dosing it for just the 1mg/kg would be .006ml
which is very small. If you want directions to break it down to dilute it to a more manageable strength I can do that also.
Otherwise, you could safely round that up to .01ML once daily to help out. It can be given straight or you can mix it with some water or a bit of cherry juice.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
Ah I think we need a diluted version here because the smallest syringe I have, the smallest unit is already 0.02ml

Today his leg is still not as strong, started to worried MBD. However we already gave powder everyday and make sure T8 within 6 inches above him.

Would non-original hood (just a normal reflector) affect the UVB strength to help him absorb calcium? Or he need liquid calcium for easier absorption?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024_0217_105950.jpg
    Screenshot_2024_0217_105950.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, no problem at all! The light fixture with reflective back such as pictured, will definitely help to
direct the UVB light/strength downward towards him more effectively.
The powdered calcium is fine, if he gets that daily on his food it should be adequate.
If you want to dilute the calcium, no problem I can help with that. Go ahead & draw out 1ML of the liquid calcium which is 81MG total. Get a small bottle either glass or plastic & put that amount into that bottle. You can dilute it to a 3.2% solution. Mix in 15MLS of distilled water & 10MLS of organic Agave syrup. Mix
up/shake well, then refrigerate. There is 3.24mg/ml
in this solution.
The dose will be .16MLS & you can give daily or 3-4 times weekly.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Ok, no problem at all! The light fixture with reflective back such as pictured, will definitely help to
The powdered calcium is fine, if he gets that daily on his food it should be adequate.
If you want to dilute the calcium, no problem I can help with that. Go ahead & draw out 1ML of the liquid calcium which is 81MG total. Get a small bottle either glass or plastic & put that amount into that bottle. You can dilute it to a 3.2% solution. Mix in 15MLS of distilled water & 10MLS of organic Agave syrup. Mix
in this solution.

Tracie
Thanks for confirmation on the light fixture and the liquid calcium dosage.

But is it okay if he drinks Agave syrup so often coz it is very sweet right? If yes, would you suggest we continue with the powder or liquid calcium?

I received the tart cherry juice today, the label stated that it is in full strength, shall I give 1ml the full strength or dilute as they recommend?

Timber leg seems have improvement, the posture and movement slowly back to normal but when I hand hold the leg still can feel slight weakness compared with the other

Attachments

• IMG_20240218_105305.jpg
    IMG_20240218_105305.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 18

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok for the T 8 the 6 inches is good but definitely get the T 5 10.0 --- your distance is going to change for that bulb it will go to 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- dragons dont always sit under the UVB they know when they need the UVB -- and dont always sit under it --- are you changing the T 8 bulb out every 5 months or so? They have a expiration date of 6 months -- Tracie can advise on the calcium issue
Meanwhile would like to confirm the height of T5, the height should be 12-15" from back of dragon? But from Zoomed chart, the 12-15" is yellow color range which not suitable to bearded dragon, the chart suggest around 6-7" (orange zone) for bearded dragon. May I confirm which height should I follow? But if 6-7", it is not much different from T8? 🤔

Attachments

• 1708232531321.jpg
    1708232531321.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 20

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The amount of agave is negligible so I wouldn't worry about that & it is a low glycemic syrup, too from cactus.
You can give up to 1ML of the juice straight, or you can dilute it some also.
I'm glad Timber seems to be feeling better. Remember, reptiles tend to recover a bit more slowly than mammals.

Keep us posted on him!
Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

The amount of agave is negligible so I wouldn't worry about that & it is a low glycemic syrup, too from cactus.
You can give up to 1ML of the juice straight, or you can dilute it some also.
I'm glad Timber seems to be feeling better. Remember, reptiles tend to recover a bit more slowly than mammals.

Keep us posted on him!
Tracie
All right then I will try the liquid calcium. May I confirm I should completely replace powder with liquid or the liquid should be on top of powder? Sorry coz need to be very sure

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Meanwhile would like to confirm the height of T5, the height should be 12-15" from back of dragon? But from Zoomed chart, the 12-15" is yellow color range which not suitable to bearded dragon, the chart suggest around 6-7" (orange zone) for bearded dragon. May I confirm which height should I follow? But if 6-7", it is not much different from T8? 🤔
T 5's are stronger than T 8's --- have your distance from the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- and that is inside the tank---- screens block approx 30% of the UVB rays for a fine mesh - wide hole type of screen the UVB can sit on top but the distance would be 8-10 inches directly under it

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
T 5's are stronger than T 8's --- have your distance from the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- and that is inside the tank---- screens block approx 30% of the UVB rays for a fine mesh - wide hole type of screen the UVB can sit on top but the distance would be 8-10 inches directly under it
Thanks for your confirmation! Hopefully I can get the T5 asap

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, for now you can go ahead & use the liquid calcium for awhile instead of the powdered calcium.
Once your dragon is better, you can go back to powdered calcium if you would like.
I hope everything is going well. Once you get your UVB lighting all changed up you will see a lot of progress.

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, for now you can go ahead & use the liquid calcium for awhile instead of the powdered calcium.
Once your dragon is better, you can go back to powdered calcium if you would like.
I hope everything is going well. Once you get your UVB lighting all changed up you will see a lot of progress.

Tracie
Hi Tracie, can help me confirm is this Agave syrup workable with the liquid calcium mixture you prescribed? Coz it stated Blue Agave not sure is it the same to the Agave syrup we need

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Yes, that will be perfectly fine. Like I said, the amount
taken in with the dose is small & it is very healthy.
It is called Blue Agave syrup, raw Agave syrup, etc.
How is your dragon doing?

Tracie

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

in this solution.

Tracie
Hi Tracie, for the .16MLS liquid calcium, I'm unable to find a syringe with smallest unit .01MLS. Would it be okay if give .2MLS? If yes how many days should I give per week?

For tart cherry juice, may I know I should give for how many days? Is it okay for normal bearded dragon without gout to have tart cherry juice? Coz I'm not sure actually

The swelling on his calf is significantly reduced and he is okay when we touch or gently press on it, but we still can see he's still trying not to bend it too much

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Karrie, for tank width 50 inches, only need one T5 tube in the middle and he will be able to get the UVB no matter he is at the front or back end of the tank?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom