Large hole in leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for a while there has been a blackish spot on my dragons lower leg a little below his pores. I didn't think anything of it I assumed it was a bit of dirt and would come off with his next shed. It was probobly only a quarter of an inch or so. But the other day I had him out and some of his shed was coming off. I noticed a very large black ball on the ground. It was surrounded by shed skin so i knew it had come off of him. When I checked him out, he had a huge hole were the 'dirt' spot had been.
It seems almost as if he had some sort of infected spot and the flesh died and popped out with the shed. I'm a little worried but he is moving his leg/foot fine and the hole is clean with healthy flesh . The hole is already helaed over, but it is still a very large hole. Which I'm sure will never fill in. Other then this he has been healthy and eating/acting normal. I can't get an immediate vet visit I just wanted maybe some idea of what could have happened?

Ps. He has never been fed with crickets, so I don't think it was a bite or anything. It's all very strange.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's certainly disconcerting. It's a good sign that the area has healed over and looks OK now. I wonder if one of his femoral pores got clogged/infected. Can you post some photos of the leg? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

WhymsicalPorcupine

Original Poster
CooperDragon":63rvect6 said:
That's certainly disconcerting. It's a good sign that the area has healed over and looks OK now. I wonder if one of his femoral pores got clogged/infected. Can you post some photos of the leg? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

I couldn't get the photo uploaded to work but I posted the photos here https://thewhymsicalporcupine.tumblr.com/post/160209796712

I don't think it's the pores because the hole is pretty far below them. I posted pics of his leg and the thing that came out of it. It's hard to tell but the hole is quite big. The foot is still mobile.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Quite strange. I don't think I've seen that before. It looks like a growth of some sort. I'd keep a close eye on the area for it returning in some form. It's good that it's healed over but I wouldn't want to see it return and possibly cause issues down the line.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is odd! I would definitely keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't return or get infected.
You could get some antibiotic ointment & keep some on that area to make sure it doesn't infected. It has healed over now?
That's good he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree that it very much looks like a planter's wart, or possibly a fibrous cyst. Really odd that it fell out like that, leaving a hole with no bleeding or raw tissue...Possibly an insect? It reminds me of the hole a warble leaves...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
wonder if maybe was a tick or some similar parasitic insect he picked up while outside (maybe) and burrowed below the skin , and when it was engorged with blood it then fell off leaving a hole ????
or maybe a brown recluse spider bite ????

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I hope it wasn't a brown recluse spider bite. Though if it was, the dead tissue would have spread further by now. It could be a bite of some type though, not sure exactly what.
More pictures would be great, if possible.

Tracie

I really think it's a plantar wart, honestly. My brother had one. It came off just like that and left a little crater in his palm, no bleeding or anything just pink skin underneath.

It does beg the question, though, of where he got it? o0

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Only thing similar I've experienced are sandfly bites.

You don't even feel the bite, but it gets super itchy , then a puss filled pimple like thing forms and when it heals and the scab falls off , it leaves a little crater that takes ages to refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom