Keeping Them Together....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VogueStar

I have a male BD >Beauregard. I recently introduced my female BD> Orchid, into my males cage. They had their fun about 3 times :blob8: the first day they were together. They've have spent a week together. Sunday I separated them back to their own cages. I plan to re-introduce the female a week from Sunday like Ive read...to do so. However I was curious if I could keep them together permanently>?>> in a 53’ long by 26’ deep and 29’ tall cage set-up. Since the cage is so big I was curious if they would be okay together?? Also what are signs of a bearded dragon being stressed out? Mine do not appear to be at all, I would just like to know what to look for in case they do stress. :D

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
No you should not house them together, no matter how big the space he will pester her, she will get stressed etc, or you could have a domiance issue over the space, they are very territorial.

As for stress, dark colours, stress patterns on the belly (it should be all creamy), loss of appitite, not basking, general moodyness.

As for dominance, headbobbing, arm waving are the obvious ones, but stacking ontop of each other, and avoidance of basking spots are all signs.

aoscar

Hatchling Member
:banghead: :banghead:

Not a good idea at ALL. If you witnessed the deed 3 times the first day, and left them together for a week, there is NO reason to keep them together unless you want to chance a mangled or dead dragon.
There is also no need to reintroduce them. They have done it a few more times when you weren't looking.

A gravid female needs to be stress free and pampered. I know you see no signs of stress yet, but the keyword here is yet. The male will try for more when she is not receptive and you wouldn't want your pregnant daughter getting all banged around for nothing would you? Not to mention the different dietary needs of a male and a gravid female.

Do you have your incubator, laybox supplies, baby bins, bulbs, fixtures, and reliable wholesale bug source?

Good luck and keep us posted.

VogueStar

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the feedback!!! I already planned to keep them separate. :shock: But Ive seen so many different people with multiple dragons together, I got curious and thought it might be okay, but I wont!! :banghead: So should I also keep them from seeing each other at all, even though they are in their own cages? I have both of their cages in the same bedroom however they can still see each other...The male still bobs his head from across the room.
And yes Iam ready for babies! Ive a got an incubator, lay box, new lights etc.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I just wanted to add that if you witnessed the deed 3 times there's really no purpose in reintroducing them in a week. Some will do that as they don't have the time to sit and watch so don't know if they actually bred or not. Personally I don't even put one beardie into anothers domain not even for breeding. I prefer letting them while free roaming but even if not I'd have a separate breeding enclosure. A beardies viv is their castle. :lol:

VogueStar do you grow your own bugs?

VogueStar

Original Poster
I do not grow my own bugs...not quite yet LoL Ive been researching how to, and I cant decide which ones I want to grow or how to get started. Im actually waiting for some mealies to turn into beetles so I can start growing them, but it seems like its taking for ever! I've also planned to start my own cricket farm, but the chirping drives me insane :banghead: !! So I have this outdoor closet I was hoping to use for those noisy crickets I also hope it wouldnt get too hot for them out there, It stays rather cool inside the closet so... Im thinking it might werk. Ive heard that roaches are good food for beardies too ...but Ive never feed mine any :shock: , no stores around here have feeder roaches. And I will refuse to grow my own roaches, way to gross for my squirmy self I have a hard enough time with the crickets LoL!

aoscar

Hatchling Member
VogueStar":2lu3igcb said:
I do not grow my own bugs...not quite yet LoL Ive been researching how to, and I cant decide which ones I want to grow or how to get started. Im actually waiting for some mealies to turn into beetles so I can start growing them, but it seems like its taking for ever! I've also planned to start my own cricket farm, but the chirping drives me insane :banghead: !! So I have this outdoor closet I was hoping to use for those noisy crickets I also hope it wouldnt get too hot for them out there, It stays rather cool inside the closet so... Im thinking it might werk. Ive heard that roaches are good food for beardies too ...but Ive never feed mine any :shock: , no stores around here have feeder roaches. And I will refuse to grow my own roaches, way to gross for my squirmy self I have a hard enough time with the crickets LoL!

I ordered 200 dubias from Josh'sfrogs.com , I got them the day my girl laid and I have about 5000 nymphs now that my babies hatched.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
:laughhard: You might wanna get over your squirms over bugs because you'll need to handle possibly thousands a day if she has normal clutches that all hatch.

aoscar

Hatchling Member
I would like to commend you V.Star, most newcomers here throw a fit when they ask a breeding question and don't neccesarily like the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom