Kazi - RIP my special Wee monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Barbara- u go offline for a day and suddenly kazis thread goes mad!!! He's gone back to being black bearded again. But he had over half an hour without it which is good. The vet didn't call me back and now the surgery is closed until the morning! Somethig is definitely hurting his tummy- his tummy twitches and tenses up when I touch it- not every time but quite a lot. I no he needs to get whatever it is out of his system but i also know he needs to get some food in there. I'm thinking I will buy some of those pellets tomoro, soak them, mash them up and then make a soup with them and try to syringe some into him... I just don't know- I really wa hoping the vet would call and I would have asked him for the CC. Kazi is getting himself into some really strange positions at times too. But at least he moved a little today. He just had bath number 3 of the day and is now basking. Il prob put him to bed in about an hour or so- once I'm sure he is properly warmed up!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
MissT":11uhedtr said:
Somethig is definitely hurting his tummy- his tummy twitches and tenses up when I touch it- not every time but quite a lot.
That's exactly what Digi did! The little water that she drank made the difference in moving things along in her tum-tum.
Would Kazi drink water from a syringe/dropper??

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I just got off the phone with the vet.
Blood results are in and they are not good. His white blood cell count is 0.1 and should be at least 1.5. His Red blood cell count is 6 and should be at least 17. His haemoglobim level is 1.6 and should be at least 7. Vet said the sample was a little watery and that COULD have caused a problem but all of the other blood work was fine. It could indicate an internal bleed but the vet doubts Kazi would be with us now unless the bleed has stopped itself. He said a bleed would explain the bloated tummy he had yesterday but his tummy was fine today, except right after he pooped. He also had a bloaty tummy last time he got sick.

For now, I have to keep handling to a minimum - im thinking bath time and snuggles will be all the handling we will be doing. Hes starting on the critical care tomoro.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Did the vet say what could have caused the bleeding?
Do you think he may have hurt himself with the hormonal flying behavior he was having awhile back?

Hugs and Snuggles to both of you!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He didnt really go into much detail but said it could have been anything from a feeder going down the wrong way to a fall..... Im not sure about the crazy jumping he was doing - I would have imagined that any problems from that would have shown up sooner but perhaps not.

Kazi is sleeping now with a very grand black beard. I got him out for a little snuggle but didnt keep him out too long as I dont want to hurt him :(

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Kazi has been napping for about 3 hours now... I say napping because every so often he will open his eyes when I look in there. His beard has calmed down for now too - just a slight grey tint to it. He looks comfortable. I've been reading as much as I can about internal bleeding. I have read a few cases of minor bleeding healing itself and every instance has said that rest and keeping him is an important factor in this. Im stressing tho as im supposed to give him another injection tomoro which I know will end up with him fighting against me which is the one thing the vet said he must not do - I really should have asked him when I was speaking to him but right then it was the last thing on my mind!

Im really not sure how I feel right now. Im worried but im hopeful. Im praying that its not so bad as it seems and that we can help him. The vet is going to call me on Monday to check in on him and then he will be going for a repeat blood test at some point in the next 2 weeks - vet does not want to do this too soon due to low counts and his past anemia.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

Poor Kazi, he is extremely anemic. Try to give some critical care if you have it because it has iron in it. The uric acid levels were elevated probably due to the stress & maybe dehydration. However, we need to keep an eye on that in case of gout. Does the vet suspect gout?
He does appear better today, than yesterday!

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry to hear that he is so anemic Christine. Hopefully the CC will help bring his iron levels up. Do you think you could get some diluted Pedialyte into him?

I have to say that he looks better than he did yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow he will improve even more.

I know how draining this is, wishing him to improve daily for you.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Tracie the vet did not mention gout. He did say he that due to the stress kazi is feeling that that could explain the raised level-he is also extremely dehydrated lookin. He is unsure as to what would have caused a bleed. He's starting on critical care today (it's the one by vetark but il post the ingredients list here later if I get it!)

Diane he's having the reptoboost in his baths- it's an electrolyte formula. He is drinking a little when he's in there too.

Lori he managed to snooze most of the night with little evidence of a black beard which I think is a good sign- he must be a little more comfortable. I'm letting him sleep on this morning for an extra hour or so- it was very late when he settled last night!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Kazi has been up for almost an hour now. So far, he does not have a black beard and only about an inch of his tail is darkened. From time to time his tail twitches and swishes to the opposite side. He also seems to lift his back end up from time to time. I think he may need another poop but the lack of food yesterday is making it difficult. He isnt straining tho - its just as if something is irritating him but not in a way that is causing him to stress out too much... if that makes sense!!!!! Hopefully today will be calmer for him!! Im still considering what to do about the injection - its a baytril injection (I found the surgery to check that out but the vet was not there and im not even sure what it is for!!!!!) Im starting him on the critical care this afternoon - I have to just see how he takes it as im not allowed to handle him too much or stress him out in any way - if he struggles I have to stop!

EDIT - black beard and tail appeared about 30 mins after this post. He got up and moved around in a circle, resting his body on the tiles behind his blankie and his head on his blankie.... this seemed to make him comfy and his beard calmed again - im wondering if he was too warm. Hes just had his first bath of the day which caused another black beard but it isnt as jet black as it has been!!! Im giving him another little while to get warm and then I will give him the critical care.
I had a look through his past blood results earlier. His WBC last March was 0.6 and last June was 0.7 - that was when he was fighting the salmonella, aspergillus and pseudomonas. Just by looking back im actually able to understand a little more of what is going on - the WBC could indicate that he is fighting a MAJOR infection and the RBC and Haemoglobin could indicate that he is SEVERELY anemic. Im so glad I have most of his results posted on here!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Sorry for a triple post but I just need a reminder for giving Kazi the injection....

Push his bicep up from underneath, insert the needle between scales at top of his arm, pull back the needle a little to make sure there is no blood (Im worried about this because his blood was so thin!) and push in the meds????????

He had a baytril injection at the vets the other day - I didnt even know this until I called to see what these meds were!! Iv used the injectable form as an oral antibiotic before and am thinking I may have to do this if he doesnt sit still.... would this work?

He had some CC today - perhaps about 1ml so far - im juset offering little and often. About 2 mins ago he climbed up on the only raised log I have left in his viv - thats the first significant move he has made in 2 days! He has been black bearding tho since his last little feed of CC about 20 mins ago... poor wee man.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
Could you give the injection after he's been asleep for awhile? The vet prescribed Baytril injections for Lizzy after the tail damage (he's lost about half of the tail now) started to get infected, and I have found that the easiest time to do the injection is after he's been asleep for awhile. No struggle, not nearly as stressful.Hope this helps your little guy!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I didn't even think of that but then again, at the moment Kazi isn't really sleeping. I tried this afternoon but kazi would not stay still and, due to the fact we have to be very gentle with him it became evident that there was no way we were going to get that needle in and out without him going insane! In the end I called the vets office who called my vet and asked him what to do. He said to mix the baytril with water and give it that way-he said if it had been any other animal he probably would have advised to put it in the drinking water but as this is not an option to just mix with water and give it to him in a syringe. Kazi is NOT impressed- that stuff is so icky and I remember last time he had it orally he hated it! He took most of ittoday tho. I did it at 6 so will have to wait a couple hours before his bath as it has probiotics in it!! Is difficult fitting all of these things into the day!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom