Juvenile Bearded Dragon Won't Eat and Rests Most of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
With the cool side temp. you want to be sure it doesn't get too hot, they need an area that they can get out of the heat. If the temp. was off by even a few degrees on the cool side making it too hot, that would be detrimental.

As for Acidophiliz, some owners claim that it benefits their dragon so if he'll take a bit of it, that might help him but I wouldn't force it on him. Your humidity can even go higher, 30-40 is fine.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, I ask because his cool side is usually around 89F with the CHE being on 24/7, but he seems to like it. Should I only use the CHE at night?

Also, for the Acidophiliz+, I planned on putting it on a couple of his crickets or dubias.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a bit too high ....89 F may be causing discomfort. Try getting it down to about 82.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
YoursTruly":1wvyfuf3 said:
Thanks AHBD! Why no higher than 83 on the cool end? Just curious. And I will try one bath a day from here on out. I was told that ADV beardies and small beardies (Thane is only 22g) dehydrate easily, so he needs more bathing. But I have noticed that he really only drinks in the morning.

Bathing beardies doesn't hydrate them unless they drink the bath water. The idea of them absorbing water through their vent has been proven false. Does he drink from the bath? Does he drink when you drip water on his nose? If you can get hi to drink water by dripping it, cut baths back to every other day.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'd say he only drinks in one of the baths. I knew that about the vent. He drinks better in the bath than from misting, I'd say.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I read through this entire topic expecting the worst from the amount of comments and views but I'm very glad to see it turned around, regardless of the diagnosis.

I just wanted to check in and ask how the little guy seems to be doing?
I agree with AHBD about turning that cool temp down, or just forgoing the CHE altogether as long as the enclosure maintains over 70 at night.
If he has a temperature gradient near the basking area to get that 89 degrees he appears to like, he can always adjust, but it's good to have the option of a cooler side in the chance he needs it. (my 4 m/o doesn't use his cool side other than to poop but the option is there!)

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, it looks like it's going to be ups and downs with Thane. We've tried the CHE on, and we've tried it off. It doesn't seem to make a difference either way. Yesterday and today he has eaten almost nothing. He has been very lethargic and sleeping a lot all week. His colors haven't been good the past couple days, either. I am hoping it is just an upcoming shed, but I don't know.

The good news is that he has a herp vet appointment tomorrow. I plan to get a fecal, xray, and blood tests done. Petco has been paying the vet bills because we made a stink with them about selling us a sick animal, but after the 20th, that offer expires. I will be spending as much of their money as I can.

I've ordered bee pollen, serraptese, and milk thistle 4 days ago. I am still waiting on a shipment confirmation, though.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds to me you are doing all the right things, and I'm sure Thane really appreciates all of your efforts even though he cannot show it.

So glad you got Petco involved and responsible for their actions and that they are actually DOING something about this though the offer expires. Milk them for all they're worth!

Please keep us posted on the little guy's progress - I'm eager for some good news.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, traildrifterphalanx, and everyone else for your support. I've been getting a lot help from Tracie (Drache613), too. I'll keep you all updated and let you know how the appointment goes.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good luck at the vet appointment, will be thinking about him and will watch for updates.
You are trying SO hard to get him all straightened out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope Thane is doing well today. How did things go at the vets?
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry I didn't message you back, Tracie! Thane is okay today. He ate 8 bugs. At the vet, we were given a supplement and a medication for an inflamed stomach. I am still waiting on the bed pollen, milk thistle and serraptese to arrive. We will see how the new meds do with him tomorrow. Thankfully he is parasite-free.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem at all.
At least he is parasite free then. So he ate 8 insects, that's good news then.
Your things shipped out now?
Which medication was given to him & how long will he have to take it for?
I hope he is feeling a little better & keep us posted on him.

Tracie

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He was given metronidazole again. He will need to take that for 21 days. The vet said his stomach is inflamed. We were also given echinacea and another supplement blended together. We also have acidophiliz+, his calcium, and his multivitamin. Then we have bee pollen, milk thistle, and serraptese coming too. We have a lot to give him. It's overwhelming for us, and I'm worried it will be too much for him too.

He won't eat today so we have been syringe feeding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom