Juvenile Bearded Dragon Won't Eat and Rests Most of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Alright, I picked up the Reptisun 10.0 T8 along with a black hood like suggested above, and it is all set up on top of the tank. Thane at 2 crickets this morning and lapped up his medicine. He seems to like that stuff! He also ate about 1/2 mL of his formula. So, not good on the eating today. I'll try more plus some dandelion greens later. I ordered a few Dubia samples. I'm going to try those out to see if he'd prefer them.

His eyes still have some crusties but it is not severe. But maybe you can judge for yourself in the photos. I scheduled a recheck with the vet for Friday, in case his eyes don't improve. I'm afraid to turn the UVB off, though. Won't that affect his digestion and energy?

He seems a bit more alert today, but still has his eyes closed much of the time.
89594-9018381554.jpg
89594-1304279254.jpg

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Taffer":40my1eqm said:
Gorgeous little guy you have there. Mine had those bright orange racing strips when she was younger.

Thanks! He's a little orange race car whose engine needs a tuneup though. He's such a sweetie, and it kills me seeing him miserable like this.

He started hiding from the Reptisun 10 UVB tube shortly after I installed it, so I have it off for the day now. I know he's not hiding from the basking bulb because he came out from his hide when I turned the UVB off. I have a feeling that his eyes were affected by the compact UVB I was using. I've seen suggestions elsewhere that if this is the case, I just need to let his eyes rest from UVB for the day.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Taffer

Hatchling Member
I hope he does better soon. If they are anything like humans, the eyes heal amazing fast compared to the rest of the body. :0)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It won't do any harm at all to leave the UVB off for a few days, will give his eyes a chance to heal. If he came out and opened his eyes when the UVB was off, that is a sure sign that his eyes need a break from any UVB at all. You can pick up some Turtle eye drops or Saline eye wash like humans use to wash foreign bodies from their eyes. I have used both on beardies and they seem to be very soothing and what a difference the next day. This would be perfect: http://www.cvs.com/shop/personal-care/eye-care/washes/cvs-eye-wash-soothing-prodid-337097

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His eyes look better than they did in the other pictures, they do still look irritated though.

Happy to hear that he ate a little.

So you ended up with the T8, the larger tube and hood?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
That's the problem with some wavelengths of UV bulbs. The eye is basically a magnifying glass directing the light onto the retina. It can burn it and its pretty painful. Its kind of like welders burn when welding eye protection isn't used. Hopefully his eyes will get better soon...

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, I have the T8. It's on top the tank. I haven't turned it on yet because of his eyes, though. Should I turn it back on Wednesday? Is two days without it okay?

Thank you Rankins. You too, Diamc. I appreciate all the help. I will keep you guys updated.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The more I read, the more I think he's got PKC going on. I have an appointment with the vet for Friday, and I think I will leave the UVB off until at least Thursday. Then I think a few hours, gradually adding more, each day would be ideal, right? So as to not overdo it for him? He only ate 2 crickets today and a tiny bit of formula so far today. I'm on my lunch at work, and I can't feed him until later tonight.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, we went to the vet Wednesday night. She gave us ANOTHER antibiotic but also some eye drops and a calcium supplement. We are seeing more eyeball! Little guy has slowly been opening his eyes more. I also got some dubia roaches which he gobbled up three of last night. So we will see if he eats more this morning. He is very thin and very lethargic still. Only 16g. I was told he was 4 months old when I got him but the guy was guessing. So he could be younger or older.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
YoursTruly":17jk8udb said:
Only 16g. I was told he was 4 months old when I got him but the guy was guessing. So he could be younger or older.

Wow...your little guy is definitely in better hands now if he was 16g. and 4+ months old. I've only had this one bearded dragon, but at 6 weeks old she was 9g. and at 7 weeks she was 12g. Then again, she was seldom shy about eating once we got her home. Keep a little spreadsheet of his weight and length week by week and you'll be shocked how fast he grows once you get him past these issues.
:D :blob5: :blob8: :D

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No he's only 16g now. That's why I think he's younger than 4 months.

UPDATE: Dubia roaches came in the mail and he ate SEVEN so far this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom