just wondering about 2 beardies together...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know beardies are solitary animals but can i put a female in with my 5 month old male? I've been considering getting him someone to keep him company. He's in a 3 foot long viv at the mo but when he's a bit bigger i plan on getting a 5 foot one. would there be enough room for a male and a female to be able to get on? Also if i was to do this i would keep the female separate for a few weeks but then maybe put a division between them in the same viv so they get used to each others scents etc. I just wanna know peoples opinions or whether its just really a bad idea?

also my bloody waxworms have decided to go all hard and i cant even think of that word right now...but yesss what will they hatch into?

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Please do not house your beardies together.

Here is a quote from Holly helping out another person with a similar question. Hopefully she dosnt mind me quoting it here? She did such a good job explaining it!

Ethelia":583f9 said:
Hi there,

The general belief on this matter is that beardies are solitary and territorial creatures and so should always be housed alone.
Your beardie is showing obvious signs of aggression and dominance just by seeing your other dragon NEAR her viv.
Can you imagine what will happen if you put them in together?

Males + females especially shouldnt be housed together because they can overbreed.
Considering the darkness of Kali's beard Id be inclined to say she might be male also. And two males is a definate recipe for disaster.

Furthermore when beardies are housed together one usually becomes dominant causing the other beardie to not grow properly due to stress.
Beardies can and do attack eachother, unfortunatly dragons are not like dogs, who can be taught about naughty aggressive behaviour. Once it has happened once, like here, it will happen again and again.
Dragons will think nothing of nipping off a chunk or tail/toe in order to defend their basking spot.

In my time keeping dragons I have rescued two dragons who were living in a viv with other dragons.
Dexter was small for her age and was missing a bit of her tail, most of her right arm, most of her right foot and alot of her toes.
Ruben had his leg and arms ripped off at the joints by his clutchmates.

There are rare cases where dragons show no signs of agression towards eachother, and there isnt too much bullying but it is a risk that is simply not worth taking.

Dont beat yourself up about not knowing, most ignorant pet store workers will insist that having two beardies is fine, but please do the responsible thing and keep them seperate perminantly.
Your dragons will lead much happier healthier lives apart.

Holly

Fogles

Juvie Member
I was told today that don't put a bigger/older beardie with a smaller/young beardie, it will stress the little one out and can kill it.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
LoveLittleGeorge":bd7eb said:
well that answers it. It's not worth it if its gonna cause even a little bit of stress for my little george. thanks.

Super! Thank you for doing the responsible thing for your little one.

Elora":bd7eb said:
Here is a quote from Holly helping out another person with a similar question. Hopefully she dosnt mind me quoting it here? She did such a good job explaining it!

Awww shucks Elora! :oops:
Ofc I dont mind ^_^

Christmas kisses and beardie hugs all round.
Holly

twyliteskyz

Hatchling Member
best idea is to just save up til you can have anouther tank. that would be very bad for the female, she wouldnt be able to get away from him. he may look inocent now, but he would end up hurting her. beardies dont miss other bds if they have you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom