Just replaced EB60 Megaray, now flickers like a strobe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulture2600

Hatchling Member
So as the title implies, I just replaced my EB60 and for the first week or so it seemed to work just fine, although they both cycled quite often. The old bulb clearly needed to be replaced as the light produced was quite blue and there were some metal(?) flakes inside the outer glass. The new one was very quite with the blue tinge as they are supposed to be but would still cycle several times a day. I moved the ballast box to a more circulated area, even though it was only ever warm to the touch.
My roommate called me the other day to tell me it was just flickering. I had him unplug it and yesterday I ripped everything out of my enclosure to perform some tests:
I tried a different fixture, a clamp on ceramic type hanging completely vertically.
I had the old one for a year using out door fixtures at about 40 degrees from vertical and aside from cycling and what seemed to be a higher than advertised decay rate, I had no problems.
This is the setup I used for a year. The foil around the bulb is just to cover the top part of the bulb where there is no silver paint. At the angle it was, you can see straight in to the arc tube which was annoying.

P1010003-2.jpg

This is the most recent pic I had with all the lights on, and you can see the angle of the megaray and how the angle I had it at was perfect for coverage.
100_0086.jpg

Any one have any experience with this problem? Do you think its the bulb or the ballast? I opened the ballast box (I am a electronics technician) and didn't see any blown components but I'm a little hesitant to stick my multi-meter probes into the output to test voltage because I don't really know how they work.
Any ideas? Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom