Just ordered Dubias! Enclosure help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BabyScales, that's what I was thinking! I don't mind buying feeders if I can buy them in bulk (I mean, except crickets, don't want to buy those guys in bulk!). So I'll just stick to nymphs and supers! Do you know how long Pushkin should be before he can start eating supers?

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
According to the worms guide that someone posted in the "feeders" category (seems like a pretty impressive effort to make that! :D ) you should not feed supers to a BD that is less than 16 inches. My Smaug is too small.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Aww thanks! Well good then, Pushkin is 15.5 and with the way he eats, he'll probably be 16 inches by tomorrow! :roll:

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
Pushkin":3ix3sc81 said:
Aww thanks! Well good then, Pushkin is 15.5 and with the way he eats, he'll probably be 16 inches by tomorrow! :roll:
yup 16 is the recommended and they say to introduce them little by little because of their exoskeleton.
i order crickets in bulk >_< but i clean the cricket tank like a madd woman! (3 times a week) I have exhausted my local reptile store for the small dubia, so crickets is the cheapest way for me to go till i get my dubia colony established (ugh!). I cant see my self paying $1 for 12 large crix at the petstore when Turbo eats roughly 40 in one sitting... he wont stop growing! I dont think I've seen him without some body part shedding!!
Theres was a reptile show this past weekend and i ended up getting 2k med-large crix and 1k small... and i came home with another BD. I have a serious reptile adiction. LOL.
I think between the two dubia colonies (which i might make into one big colony) I have about 130 females... so now i just wait till they flood my bin with babbies faster! I found a friend that will clean out my dubia bin in exchange for roaches :lol:

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
I don't have enough adults yet in my new colony so no results yet. Freaks me out a little but I'm more afraid of them getting out and into my house. My wife would kill me if we got a roach problem because of me. Spike loves them. Large nymphs he can eat 4-5.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Pushkin ate 25 1-inch nymphs earlier today without a thought - he's going go be such a fatso when he's an adult, I swear! 25 inches of food for one meal, where does it even go???

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Pushkin":znyzyzht said:
Pushkin ate 25 1-inch nymphs earlier today without a thought - he's going go be such a fatso when he's an adult, I swear! 25 inches of food for one meal, where does it even go???

Speechless. At that rate my 100 roaches would be gone in 4 meals. Crazy to think he can pack it all away.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I know, and he's not that big yet! Just over 15 inches! I really want to get another dragon soon, but keep thinking about all the extra food… need to save up a bit first!

BabySkales

Hatchling Member
They eat a lot! Lol I just did a quick clean up in the cricket tank.. It had over 2k on Sunday... I'm down to a fed hundred.. Lol

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Pushkin":1qs8h88e said:
I know, and he's not that big yet! Just over 15 inches! I really want to get another dragon soon, but keep thinking about all the extra food… need to save up a bit first!

The extra food doesn't bother me as much as having to do another setup! We spent a fortune on his setup! (Mostly because we bought the kit with the wrong stuff, and then had to buy the right stuff.) And where to put it? My son talks about getting another BD, but there's no room for it. Smaug takes up pretty much his whole dresser. He wants me to make/buy one of those racks for multiple tanks. :roll:

He wanted a sand boa from the reptile show last weekend, but I told him we had to wait until next year. I feel like we just got Smaug (May) and we should focus on him for right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom