James from CT. Noob alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Hey guys I am James from CT. Just got my 4 month old beard ur today. 10 inches long. Tank is setup and all the item purchased were because of this great site. Basking light, CHE, Daylight Bulb, and UVB.
10458851_10202427407866280_7031881415535205874_n.jpg

10428388_10202427407826279_777512284077759388_o.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You may not need the CHE at night in CT in the summer. As long as the temps stay above about 65 or so it's best to allow some nighttime temperature fluctuation. I just use my CHE during the winter because I like to let my house get cold.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tons of fun. Went I was at the pet store, there were 3 dragons in the big tank, and he was the second largest, he was the only one alert and looking at me. And he was the only one out of the 3 that had the colors he has. So i kinda felt like all the signs were there and he picked me, if that makes any sense.

He's ate twice, and from what I read online he doesn't have a BIG appetite. Good news is he ate twice, but we're talking 5 superworms and 5 waxworms each time. And I put two crickets in the tank he ate 1 of 2 over a few hours span. He is very tame and docile thus far, even for the first day. I was going to leave him alone but when I put my hand in the tank he walked onto my hand so I couldn't resist. He is so far everything I was looking for in a Beardie. I hate to say it but I enjoy him more than my Leopard Gecko.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2zhsvl20 said:
You may not need the CHE at night in CT in the summer. As long as the temps stay above about 65 or so it's best to allow some nighttime temperature fluctuation. I just use my CHE during the winter because I like to let my house get cold.

I agree with you, but I wanted to be safe and cautious. I am checking the temps every hour since I setup the tank and got him. If I feel the basement won't get below 65 and I am 110% sure. I will do what you said and not use the CHE until Winter. Ideally I'd like to not use the CHE if I can get away with it. haha.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Man oh Man I love this site, and I love this Forum. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if Spike is just a Normal Bearded Dragon? His eyes are brown and his nails are Jet Black. He has the orange, and he is back doesn't feel super smooth like "leather".

Based on what I read and saw online I am going to guess he could be an American Leatherback Het Partial Hypo?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm afraid I can't be helpful with the breeding specifics. He isn't a leatherback though. Good looking guy either way. I love the stripes around his eyes.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ek61aba said:
That's no problem either. Just keep an eye on the temps and use as needed. =)

With CHE 76 degrees on the warm side. Basking spot 86 degrees. Cool side 70 degrees. Room temp is 68 degrees.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd let it go down to 70. Even 68 won't be a problem. Fire up the CHE for a few hours at night (timer) if you start getting low 60s in the house.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
:evil:
CooperDragon":k4gywj74 said:
I'm afraid I can't be helpful with the breeding specifics. He isn't a leatherback though. Good looking guy either way. I love the stripes around his eyes.
I picked him because he was the only dragon with any orange and red. And I love his face too. I got a feeling he is probably a reduced spike normal. I know Italian leatherback and American leatherback are different. But either way I love him and hope he keeps his colors. Long shot.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1si13ck7 said:
I'd let it go down to 70. Even 68 won't be a problem. Fire up the CHE for a few hours at night (timer) if you start getting low 60s in the house.

Question is this. He looks like he is sleeping on the warm side. Does this mean the cool side isn't preferred? Do u think over 70 at night will be too hot? Are there any cons to keeping the warm side near 80 at night?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
70 definitely isn't too hot. It's more about allowing a natural fluctuation in temperature overnight. Boosting the tank to 80 at night is usually recommended for sick dragons to help their immune systems do battle. I don't know of a con to doing that though. Cooper always sleeps on the warm side too. Right on his hammock (basking spot). I think that has more to do with comfort and being a lazy lizard than anything. That's just my opinion and observation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom