Seeking Advice: Concerns about Health Findings in My Fostered Bearded Dragon, Ridley

colbertf

Beardie name(s)
ROWAN (Gaelic for Little Red Guy)
As some of you know I took Ridley, a 3-year-old male dragon under my care due to a friend's financial struggles. I've had Ridley for 6 months, but have helped with his care on & off for 3 years. His weight initially around 600g in July, slowly increasing weekly and got to 650g by mid-October, I hadn't weighed him between Oct to mid November, but over the past few weeks I noticed his weight had fluctuated dropping to 600g, then 550g last week, at 580g currently. Despite his continued eating, basking, and activity levels good, this weight loss concerned me a little.
Recently I took Ridley for a vet visit, initially just a general checkup. The vet discovered an abnormal lump near Ridley's right lung during a checkup. An ultrasound revealed a mass roughly 2.4cm in size at the right cranial coeloma.

To rule out diet-related issues, Ridley fasted for two days, yet the mass persisted. I also did labs/bloodwork which indicated elevated white and red blood cell counts, the vet said possibly due to dehydration or oxygen deprivation, alongside high kidney values and uric acid levels. Another ultrasound confirmed the presence of the mass, situated near the right lung and liver. While its origin remains unknown and it's not currently impacting him visibly, the vet recommends further diagnostic procedures. The options include a coelomic ultrasound with a radiologist for possible aspirates or a CT-scan with contrast, both under sedation. Given Ridley's stable condition for now, I've deferred these procedures,
Since he had a higher range white blood cell count (possible infection) and an increased uric acid, the vet initiated treatment with the antibiotic Ceftazidime, (200mg (0.06ml, every 3 days - 10 injections, total) and subcutaneous fluid injections (NORMOSOL-R (Electrolytes) 10ml warm fluids under the skin every 3 days, 7 doses total) due to suspected infection and dehydration.

I'm a bit apprehensive about administering these fluid injections. Is this common for beardies?

I took a video of them showing what I need to do every 3 days

I've also posted images of the lab bloodwork results, and Ridley's enclosure (and details below)

@Drache613
---
ENCLOSURE SETUP details - I have a zen habitat 4'x2'x2', a 22" Arcadia 12% UVB T5 HO bulb (inside) (replaced with new bulb in July), I have a solarmeter 6.5r that I used to read the UVB when setting up. For basking using a 150PAR/FL 150WATT PAR38 INCANDESCENT FLOOD 4.75" LIGHT BULB, on a Lutron Credenza Plug-In Dimmer, main // center basking area temperature around 95-97F, anything higher seems to be too hot for him, and he'll go sit down on the floor. Cool side 80F. Basking temperature measured with both a BN-LINK electronic Digital Heat Thermostat Controller probe, and an infrared thermometer digital laser gun. Night time I have a Ceramic Heat Lamp connected to a BN-LINK Thermostat Controller probe, it keeps the enclosure temps around 70-74F. Lighting on timers 7:15am to 7:15pm.

-----
Food wise....he eats some of his salads daily ( I offer dandelion leaf's, baby arugula and collard greens, sprinkled bee pollen, a little shredded carrots for color , sometimes will offer butternut squash , or red or yellow pepper cuts.....gets insects/protein 3 days a week, he has stopped eating roaches, it was what he was fed for 3 years, he will eat a single roach now and then, but ignores then for the most part now. Otherwise he eats everything else, I mix up insects between silkworms, BSFL, one or two mealworms only when they are soft after they have molted, and butterworms, crickets now and then,

Attachments

• ridleyBasicSetup.jpg
    ridleyBasicSetup.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 74
  • ridleyvetVisit5.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit5.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 40
  • ridleyvetVisit4.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 36
  • ridleyvetVisit3.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 34
  • ridleyvetVisit2.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 44
  • ridleyvetVisit2BloodworkB.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit2BloodworkB.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 38
  • ridleyvetVisit2BloodworkA.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit2BloodworkA.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 41
  • ridleyvetVisit1.jpg
    ridleyvetVisit1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 37
  • ridleyBasicSetup2.jpg
    ridleyBasicSetup2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully this isn't a tumor but is that what they suspect ? And if so hopefully it's benign and/or can be operated on. Your husbandry is good and the diet as well. You can add cubed squash if he'll eat it, helps a bit to keep teeth clean.
How did Ridley react after the fluids ? That was a LOT , I've never seen or heard of owners giving sub -q fluids except for 1 person here about a week ago. If you feel comfortable doing it, maybe half that amount every 3 days but it's up to you. If you try dripping water on his snout will he drink it ? Drip it slowly and put a small container under his head to catch what drips off, they will usually lower their heads to drink after a few seconds or minutes. If he drinks on his own you won't have to do the sub q, or at least not as often.

It is good that he's still eating, hopefully the bloodwork + lab results will not bring bad news.

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hopefully this isn't a tumor but is that what they suspect ? And if so hopefully it's benign and/or can be operated on. Your husbandry is good and the diet as well. You can add cubed squash if he'll eat it, helps a bit to keep teeth clean.
How did Ridley react after the fluids ? That was a LOT , I've never seen or heard of owners giving sub -q fluids except for 1 person here about a week ago. If you feel comfortable doing it, maybe half that amount every 3 days but it's up to you. If you try dripping water on his snout will he drink it ? Drip it slowly and put a small container under his head to catch what drips off, they will usually lower their heads to drink after a few seconds or minutes. If he drinks on his own you won't have to do the sub q, or at least not as often.

It is good that he's still eating, hopefully the bloodwork + lab results will not bring bad news.
@AHBD Thank you. Based on the information I gathered, the vet didn't seem to have a clear idea about the nature of the mass. She didn't mention anything specific about it being a tumor. After the vet visit and the fluids he seemed himself, he's been quite active and running around a lot today, black bearded at his reflection in the mirror. He's very active up until around 3:30-4pm, then he settles down. He will sometimes drink when I drip drops on his nose, but not much before he will want to get away. Yesterday I started him back on Tracie's Bug-De-Lite Reptophilus to help being that he's back on medication, he will lick and take those drops no problem.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
@AHBD Thank you. Based on the information I gathered, the vet didn't seem to have a clear idea about the nature of the mass. She didn't mention anything specific about it being a tumor. After the vet visit and the fluids he seemed himself, he's been quite active and running around a lot today, black bearded at his reflection in the mirror. He's very active up until around 3:30-4pm, then he settles down. He will sometimes drink when I drip drops on his nose, but not much before he will want to get away. Yesterday I started him back on Tracie's Bug-De-Lite Reptophilus to help being that he's back on medication, he will lick and take those drops no problem.
You're welcome ! The Reptophilus is a good idea, if he takes that willingly try to add a little water with it for extra hydration. Are you comfortable giving him sub q fluids ? If so you can keep it up but I don't know that he needs such a large volume. Has he poo'd recently ? Sorry if I missed that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the tank setup is great. How is Ridley today?
Did the vet seem concerned about possible gout, or just an infection? That is quite a bit of
subcutaneous fluids, maybe too much. As AHBD stated, it might be less stressful to drip water
onto his nose instead.
I hope that he likes the Reptophilus! Let me know, most seem to like it.
I sure hope it isn't a tumor, but an ultrasound might help if they have someone who is trained, to
do it.
The AST or liver enzymes as well as the Glucose look good.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey Trace the ultrasound was done, the pics are above. I know it's a lot of info. on the thread but there are 2 pics of the mass.

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@AHBD and Tracie @Drache613 , thank you

First, his history of poop he's always had watery poops from day 1, it as really bad for years, was treated and seen by another vet multiple times, and it would improve for a little time after antibiotics but it continued to be an issue, from day one he has never really had a dry poop, he was treated for worms / parasites early on,

I did parasite tests about 3 months ago and they came back with small numbers, something his previous vet said was not of concern. I've been able to get it to a state where there's still water (sometimes clear) but the poop is formed (most of the time), up and down days, soft urate usually white and also formed. his poop smell seems normal, nothing bad. I've also been giving Bromelain per Tracie's recommendation and that has been helping. He generally poops every morning, within 2 hours of waking up.
These first two photos are what his poop used to look like when I got him
oldRidleyPoop2.JPG
oldRidleyPoop1.JPG

and then these next photos are what I've gotten his poops to in the past 4 to 5 months , pics from today, and recent days
RidleyRecentPoop5.JPG
RidleyRecentPoop3.JPG

RidleyRecentPoop2.JPG
RidleyRecentPoop4.JPG

Not sure how else to improve his pop to get it to a better dryer consistency :(

Ridley is good today, his normal self, basking, running around and active.
RidleyDec112023.JPG

I managed to administer almost 1.5 ml of a mixture of water and Reptophilus by dropping it on his nose and allowing him to lick it. I'm hoping it's not a tumor. Tracie, @Drache613 the vet, never brought up any concerns about possible gout. What signs of gout are you noticing?

The vet only suspected an infection instead. I've sensed she's still learning about bearded dragons, which became apparent when I first brought Rowan to her, and recently with Ridley. The ultrasound machine being new in her office means she's also in the process of learning. She mentioned considering another ultrasound with a more experienced professional. Her initial diagnosis from the ultrasound was based on a document she found online for operating the machine. She conducted a second ultrasound at no cost to gain more knowledge. Despite this, I prefer her approach over the other vet's; she exhibits genuine interest in her patients, dedicates time to trying to diagnose and address queries, and consistently follows up, something lacking in Ridleys previous vet's care (same office).

Attachments

• RidleyRecentPoop3.JPG
    RidleyRecentPoop3.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The recent poos look very healthy, much better than the ones in the past. Seeing a certain amount of liquid is fine and the urates are pure white which is good.

Hopefully there's really nothing serious going on at all, or something that is easily fixed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Colbert,

How is Ridley today?
His stools are looking better than previously. I did email you earlier with more information, etc.
Continue with his diet that he's currently on it sounds perfectly fine. Since his uric acid levels are
up some, give the minimum on the dubias since they are higher in uric acid than the worms are.
How is his shedding coming along?

Tracie

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hi @AHBD , thank you, I hope so too and that its nothing serious, but the mass she found is a little concerning also.
Hi Tracie @Drache613 , thank you too, I will lower the dubia, he refuses them most of the time now anyways. I'll continue with silkworms and butterworms & BSFL then. He is only starting to shed on his right foot, I can see the slight coloration starting, he might shed other areas too but for now its very minimal. He's doing good, I'm getting more water/reptophilus mix into him too with drops on nose, he takes a total of about 0.5ml at a time, hopefully over time combined it will add up and will help with the hydration and the antibiotics. Thank you both for your feedback.

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hi Tracie, thank you, I did attempt to give Ridley some sub -q fluids, and had someone helping hold him, but when I went to go do it it was much more difficult than I had imagined, maybe got 2 ml into him, and the needle came out, tried a 2nd time with a new butterfly needed and even after looking at the demonstration video multiple times it was difficult, I felt when I pushed there was pressure so I stopped, worried that I might be going into muscles, but it may have just been the stress. I have been offering him fluids drops on the nose at different times and he's been taking those, about 0.3-0.5ml each time, and maybe 3 to 4 times during the day. Not as much fluids as was prescribed but at least he is getting hydrated. He's doing good, not eating as much of his salad but he is eating some salad and will eat any insect I off him except dubia :) He's basking and active, he seems good and has maintained his weight. Hasn't lost weight but hasn't gained either. Pooping daily, each morning. Pictures are from today

ridleyTodayDec15_A.JPG

ridleyTodayDec15_B.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom