Is this stargazing or normal sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
You could, but honestly I wouldn't do that right now, I don't think it's at all necessary as long as you get her lights set up properly and her temps correct. I've always used a 40 gallon breeder for my dragons at a month old, and she's older than that, so I think the 40 gallon breeder is fine. Plus, it will be much easier to get the temperature gradient correct, as you already had it correct to begin with. I think once you get the Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube away from the back center of the tank and get it over the Hot Side and right alongside the basking bulb, and get some more light/heat on the Cool Side, she'll perk right up. Just looking at that photo you can tell that she's gotten little UVB light at all if she's been spending much time on her basking rock, there's no metal reflector and it's no where near her Basking Spot.

I would first move the UVB tube and attach it to the underside of the mesh lid on the Hot Side, right alongside the basking light, mover her basking rock right directly underneath both of them together so she gets both lights at the same time, then I'd order a slip-on metal reflector (18") on Amazon ASAP, they don't cost much and they really are a necessity. But just getting that UVB tube over her basking spot is going to help pretty quickly. Again, make sure that her basking rock is high enough to put her within 6" of the UVB tube, check your temps again once you get it all set up correctly, and be sure to let both lights on for at least 13-14 hours every day. I think even by tomorrow she'll perk right up.

Be sure to turn both lights on in the morning for at least 1 hour before offering her any bugs, she won't be much interested until she warms up and absorbs some UVB light. The lack of UVB light really does cause serious issues quickly. But no, don't cut the tank in half, at least not until you try it with her lights set up correctly. Give that a week and if she is still acting lethargic and not eating then you could try it, but I don't think you'll need to at all.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Has she gotten her Phoenix worms in yet ? And no, you don't need to block the tank....the set up I mentioned is super easy + cheap. If you don't already have a plastic storage tote in your closet or cellar , you can get one at Walmart or most Dollar stores for about $8. You don't need to buy new lights, you just set the entire uvb tube over the top like I have in my picture that is linked to my other post. Then rig the basking bulb above it , if you can't hover it above far enough to keep it from getting too hot with that 150 watt bulb in the tote then just get a lower watt $3 halogen bulb at the same stores . It's super easy and makes it easier to keep track of food + also to clean it. No need for flooring with such a small baby at first, you just wipe up the poo with a paper towel, water + a bit of red wine vinegar.

Deathruin

Original Poster
Ok sounds like a plan for me. I'm going to get some slate at Lowe's today as well as the 100w flood light. The slate is to raise the rocks I have in there up higher to get her closer to the uvb. Also going to move everything around to get the uvb and the heat lamp right on top of her basking spot. Also, no more meal worms. Phoenix worms only from now on.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Deathruin":3qgs203d said:
Ok sounds like a plan for me. I'm going to get some slate at Lowe's today as well as the 100w flood light. The slate is to raise the rocks I have in there up higher to get her closer to the uvb. Also going to move everything around to get the uvb and the heat lamp right on top of her basking spot. Also, no more meal worms. Phoenix worms only from now on.

Yep, that sounds like all you need to do to me, the only thing I do recommend buying is an 18" slip-on metal reflector, that's important. You'll need to order it from Amazon as I've never seen one in a store, but they're cheap. I never mentioned buying new lights except for getting the correct wattage Indoor Flood Bulbs, I just think they UVB needs moved over as already discussed. It's amazing how big a difference getting the UVB set up correctly makes... I'm willing to bet she'll perk right up...

Deathruin

Original Poster
Thank you, both of you for the helpful suggestions. I'm on my way to the store right now to pick up some supplies. I'll have new pictures once I get it all set in a couple hours so please feel free to critique me on the viv when it's all finished. And AHBD, the phoenix worms are in my mailbox as we speak.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing today?
I hope you were able to get the lights moved, to help him out. Were you able to get
him to eat?
I bet he will love the phoenix worms! I'm glad that you got them so quickly. We are
looking forward to seeing the pictures later on too.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can use a strip of aluminum foil tucked in behind the bulb right now to serve as a reflector.

Deathruin

Original Poster
Well, bad news is she was in a really bad way when I got home. Labored breathing, licking the air, sitting with mouth half open out of the tank and shaking her head violently. Spit out every bit of food I tried to give her and then looked dead almost so I rushed her to the vet. In any case I still rearranged stuff in the tank for her in hopes of her recovering. Here are the pictures of the setup and the specific light I bought.
95147-6810971675.jpg
95147-5663196160.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor baby, it may be that she's vomiting up the mealworms. That can happen even a few days after eating them. Hopefully your vet will know how to treat her, if she's vomited then she'll be dehydrated and if that's the only problem right now she could recupe. Dripping water on the snout for hydration would be the the way to go, they usually will drink after vomiting. Hopefully she'll be O.K

Is your vet a true reptile vet ? Are they keeping her ? Now that she's really sick , if she comes home it would be much better to put her in the low plastic tub.

Deathruin

Original Poster
She hasnt had meal worms for over a week now. Yeah they're keeping her for a few days, as long as a week to observe her behavior and run tests. And yea, they're true reptile vets. Some of the best in my area to be honest, they normally cost 91$ just to be seen (my friend is the vet assistant there so I get seriously stupid discounts). But as far as the lights and position of stuff goes, did I get the right thing?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's fine for a larger + healthier dragon, just not the way to set up a sick baby. Hopefully she'll come home and she'll adjust. It's good that she is being seen by a good vet....hope for the best.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh I'm sorry, it does sound like she's actually more ill than I originally thought, you did the right thing in taking her immediately, and thank god it's an actual reptile vet. I agree with AHBD, you've got the 40 gallon tank set up perfectly now, as long as the temperature zones are correct, but when she comes home she's going to be better off in a small plastic tub with both lights above, like he showed you. Think of it as a "Hospital Tank". But for future reference yes, you've got the tank set up nicely, and the lights are correct.

Did they mention to you what they thought was going on? Respiratory infection? Did they mention Adenovirus to you? I hope that isn't what's going on, but it's unfortunately becoming more and more common in the US, and that's the first thing I thought of when you said she was shaking her head violently...luckily they can test for it without taking blood, as she's too small to run blood work.... I'll be thinking about her and you, please keep us updated.

Deathruin

Original Poster
Will do, thank you for the well wishes. They were avoiding bringing up adv but I asked about it anyway. They said could be liver shunts, respiratory problems, bacterial pneumonia, something genetic or worst case adv. I learned that the clutch she came from was shipped without heating pads and the pet store raised all sorts of hell with the breeder. The Petco employee I deal with is a long time bearded owner so I trust him to a degree. But yeah, I'll be hearing back from them probably Friday or Monday at the latest

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, geez, it sounds like she isn't doing well! Be sure they don't overmedicate her at the
vets & hopefully they will update you.
The setup looks good now. As suggested, the foil fitted around the light fixture will help out
a lot for the UVB emissions.
She has had a rough start, being shipped improperly definitely didn't help. Adenovirus is a huge
possibility, but hopefully that isn't what is going on.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little one, I also hope it's not adeno. There's a possibility but I doubt it since you said that the one's at the store that were sent with her are twice her size. That would also rule out [ for the most part ] a shipping error like being too cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom