is this a good website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

Juvie Member
Unfortunately, contrary to what Beardednoob has heard, I've heard nothing but BAD things about LLLReptile. I have heard, first-hand from customers, of many of LLLReptile's snakes carrying Cryptosporidium, a fatal, chronic, and highly contagious parasite. There is no known cure for the parasite, so it's no surprise that these infected snakes have wiped out peoples' collections in the past. Considering this issue with their snakes, probably some of the easiest animals they sell, I cringe to think about the health (or lack thereof) of the rest of their stock.

I haven't heard of the website you posted, but a good place to go to find competent reviews on any company is the Board of Inquiry over at Fauna Classifieds: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13. Members posting review threads are able to label them as "Good Guy" or "Bad Guy" so you know even before you open the thread whether that seller (or, in some cases, buyer) is good to work with. If you sign up as a member, you can do a "Search" of the forum for the company's name to see what people have posted about their experiences. If nothing comes up with the company's name, find out what the owner's name is and search that instead.

Floof

Juvie Member
I did a search on the BOI for RC Enterprises (the company that owns reptilesncritters) and then for Robert Crespo (the company owner), and it doesn't look good...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112168&highlight=Enterprises
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174520&highlight=Enterprises
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174520&highlight=Robert+Crespo

And an older, still somewhat unsettling thread (US Global Exotics has since been shut down):
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113592&highlight=Robert+Crespo

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like Reptiles-n-Critters is one to avoid...

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Well... looks like a local pet shop might be a better choice for you. Or you may be able to find a breeder on here for what you are looking for.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok thanks you guys i apreciate it! :D and i dont know about that beardednoob alot of local pets stores dot sell pets in good condition but i will buy one from a breeder just cost more tho you know a good breeder on here i can talk to?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
curtbone123":2mj2ijqt said:
ok thanks you guys i apreciate it! :D and i dont know about that beardednoob alot of local pets stores dot sell pets in good condition but i will buy one from a breeder just cost more tho you know a good breeder on here i can talk to?
There are a lot, check the "forsale" section. Tom is one that sticks out in my head atm.
I got Pulma from a local shop, she was skinny at first but, is now my largest dragon. Which brings me to something ........ I gotta make a new post LOL

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
curtbone123":3j91mvec said:
ok ill be sure to answer it :lol: so beardednoob how long have you had your bearded dragons?
I got my first one in September, after him I got 3 more, around 2-3 weeks apart. Pulma was my third dragon, in order Des-Ifrit-Pulma-Seka.

Floof

Juvie Member
curtbone123":201k3kir said:

What are you looking for? Fauna Classifieds is also a classified ad forum for reptiles (hence the name). If you go to the main forum index and look through the sections, you'll find a section for what you're looking for. Again, it's a good idea to search anyone you're considering buying from on the BOI to be safe, no matter where you found their ad. :)

You can also look up reptile expos in your area. Most will have a list of the vendors attending, and, most of the time, the majority of the vendors will be local to the area, so you can skip shipping and look into buying from a local breeder. It's a good way to find someone who knows what they're doing, even if all the pet stores in the area are in the worst shape imaginable. I found a great Garter snake breeder just half an hour from me that way! :mrgreen:

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks alot hence!!! :D see im going to the reptile expo in Harve De Grace, MD on december 18 but i heard its a pretty small show so im not sure if they will have a bearded dragon that im looking for really i can get a normal bearded dragon if they dont have any descent colored ones and i hope they not that expensive tho :? i dont want a adult i want a juvenile not the baby ones but the juvenile ones thats like 9 or 10 inches

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Floof":145dgxpl said:
Unfortunately, contrary to what Beardednoob has heard, I've heard nothing but BAD things about LLLReptile. I have heard, first-hand from customers, of many of LLLReptile's snakes carrying Cryptosporidium, a fatal, chronic, and highly contagious parasite. There is no known cure for the parasite, so it's no surprise that these infected snakes have wiped out peoples' collections in the past. Considering this issue with their snakes, probably some of the easiest animals they sell, I cringe to think about the health (or lack thereof) of the rest of their stock.

I've been in one of LLLreptiles storefronts, and they are well above average regarding the care their in stock animals receive. I've been in pet shops where animals were literally dead, and others where insufficient enclosures and lighting were provided. LLL keeps their animals in rather large Vision enclosures, and they all had at least a UVB and basking bulb. When I noticed their adult beardies basking bulb was burnt out, they changed it right away.
That said, they aren't perfect. They leave crickets in the vivs and use sani-chips or bark for most of their animals. Loose substrates are a huge no-no for me, but they did at least warn a customer about calci-sand...which nobody ever does. Their prices on most items are pretty good too, especially Reptisuns.

That said, the mail order business is operated out of their primary store in Oceanside California. I've only been to the one in Escondido...so I don't know what the conditions are like at the other stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom