Is petsmart acceptable Place to buy a Bearded Dragon from

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerats1

I have used my whole budget getting everything I need for habitat, first class all the way 75 gal tank and all the trimmings I only have $ 100.00 to buy my beadie trust me I have everything Else I need can anyone shed some light on pet smart is it ok to buy a a Bearded from petsmart there are no local breeder in my area that I know of I live in south eastern Indiana.

I got mine from there and he is doing great. He was about 6 weeks old at the time and I've had him for a little over a month. Make sure you look to see if the beardie looks alert and healthy before purchasing.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
My Emily is just over a year old and shes a petsmart baby, shes doing great and very healthy!

lerats1

Original Poster
That's is a nice looking bearedie this will be my first I will pick one out tomorrow
Best of luck thanks for your help.

Feline

There's nothing wrong with purchasing a dragon from Petsmart if the store's husbandry and treatment toward the animal is what it should be. Every Petsmart store is different. Also be sure to check to see if the animal is healthy looking and is responsive. I would also look on Craigslist to see if you can adopt a dragon from there. People are always looking to rehome their dragons for whatever reason.

Be sure to save up money in case your dragon gets sick and needs veterinary care. Veterinary medicine for reptiles is NOT inexpensive. :mrgreen:

All the best to you and your new dragon!!! :blob5: :blob8:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's fine to get your dragon from there.

What isn't fine is taking to heart any of the information they give you on how to raise your new dragon.
Just shrug, nod, and smile. You know better. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Maybe the stores in your area are better than mine but I wouldn't get from them. Why support someone who doesnt take care of their animals and misinforms customers even if you can find a healthy one?
Vets are expensive and chances are greater that you will visiting one when you get from a questionable source. Check the for sale section on this site. There were some really nice citrus dragons for sale for under 100.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
magicmagni":n4umxqxh said:
but I wouldn't get from them. Why support someone who doesnt take care of their animals and misinforms customers even if you can find a healthy one?
This is a very valid thought too.

-Brandon

TomN

How far are you from the Indy area? There is a decent-sized reptile show going on in Noblesville tomorrow. Prices there will probably be cheaper than Petsmart and the babies healthier too.

Siren

Juvie Member
I work at a Petsmart in Florida.

I agree...not all Petsmarts are the same. Not all pet stores are the same. That is true for all. I have dealt with bad mom and pop stores as much as I have big box ones.

The key is educating yourself. Often times, I will go to a pet store and start asking an employee about an animal that I am already knowledgeable one. Ask them common and uncommon ones. If they are lying or just making stuff up, I call them on it, and have even reported them to their managers and corporate. There is NO excuse for poor training when it comes to the lives of animals.

My Petsmart is great honestly. Many of the people in petcare have many of those pets themselves. And/or have worked at the store for years and become very educated about the husbandry of many of the animals they sell. I have seen my Petsmart mix up the food a bit. They give them everything from fresh greens and veggies, to freeze dried, to pellets, to crickets and waxworms. Keeping their diet varied. Not all pet stores do. Also when you purchase ANY pet, you can ask for the feeding chart they have been using. If they don't have one, reconsider purchasing it. Pet stores should keep record about the eating habits of their animals.

I have also bought dragons from Petco and Petsmarts. I bought one from my Petsmart a couple of months ago. She is very healthy, leatherback with some amazing red markings.

Understand though, when it comes to big box, they get most their animals from "mills". Least their mammals. Many small pets were inbred. Reptile-wise, I have no idea how good or bad the dealers are. In the Petsmart I work at, it is rare for us to receive a sick reptile. From what the managers told me, unlike the mammals and birds, the reptiles generally come from breeders, who sell wholesale to dealers, and then to Petsmart/Petco/Pet Supermarket.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I always give props to http://www.beardeddragons.co/shop/ ...they have very good prices on dragons that are very healthy and friendly! They have some dragons for as low as $45 on sale right now, and shipping is not that expensive depending on where you live, I think I paid about $45-50. They have a "budget babies" page here. Cheryl and Jessica are also great for customer service and offer a six-month health guarantee if you agree to the terms. Try finding that at Petsmart, LOL.

Seriously, save yourself the possible problems and go with a breeder. It would suck to have spent all that money on the preparations only to have things go wrong with a sick dragon.

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
magicmagni":9en785zy said:
Maybe the stores in your area are better than mine but I wouldn't get from them. Why support someone who doesnt take care of their animals and misinforms customers even if you can find a healthy one?
Vets are expensive and chances are greater that you will visiting one when you get from a questionable source. Check the for sale section on this site. There were some really nice citrus dragons for sale for under 100.

Why, to give them a better life. Carlile is from Petsmart and doing just fine. Why pay more for a BD from other sources when you don't go visit the Beardy Mill they are coming from?

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=193598&p=1549863&hilit=carlile#p1549863

to

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198263&p=1582650#p1582650

He/She is a bit bigger now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom