Is my cage ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone up here said my cage was incorrect and my lighting was wrong when I didn’t ask for that. So now I am asking.
I have a smaller male bearded dragon, he was the smallest out of his clutch and he fits well in his 40 gallon breeder.
He is a citrus tiger.
Repti carpet for bottom, newspaper on top. ( a lifesaver)
24 inch under the cabinet light fixture mounted at top of lid.
I change my reptisun 10.0 24 inch bulbs every 6 months. Is there any other sizes for reptisun that won’t be too long for my tank because I can’t find any.
Flukers sun dome, With exo terra basking bulb 100 watt.
Other than the tank being a little bland (not much decor) how does it look. Any decor ideas? He loves his hammock lol.

Pictures of him in cage linked below. I can include more if you wanted.
https://ibb.co/CB2cqyb
https://ibb.co/n7XFM33

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your right the tank is a little bland and I would be upgrading -- he looks too big for that tank --- I would look at getting him into a 75 - 120 gallon if you can afford it - something bigger than what he is in -- you can try FB marketwatch and craigslist for tanks and I recommend one w/ front doors --if you find one there you would need to sanitize it really good before use ---- in the meantime the under the counter fixture isnt doing him any good those UVB rays are going everywhere but him -- you need one w/ a reflector -- you can check out this fixture / hood from http://www.pangeareptiles.com I would get the 24" fixture --- that way if you upgrade your tank it will work --- for $32 it is a good buy
-- I know you said you were looking for something shorter???? Like a 20" fixture / hood--- I would stay w/ the 24" ---- the bulb you have now is a 22' thats in the tank ? For decor check out Petsmart they have really nice decor for dragons --- is he in a 40 gallon tank or a 30 gallon tank?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there!

Your setup sounds just fine!

The only real important thing is proper temps and proper uvb.
So in regards to temps, what are you using to measure temps, and what are they?

In regards to UVB, the 24 inch bulb you have right now is fine. However, you'd do much better to make a reflector for it out of aluminum foil. The proper distance for the reptisun t8 would be 6-8 inches from the basking spot as long as it has a reflector on it. The reflector basically doubles the usable UV. Without one, you'd need it to be twice as close as that figure to provide the proper UV - 3-4 inches. However that is much too close of a distance to allow your dragon to get, so getting a reflector on it would be ideal!
Either that, or switch to the reptisun 10.0 T5 HO bulb. That bulb needs to be 12 inches or so from the basking site (with reflector) or 8~ inches away if mounted ontop of the mesh.

As far as decorations go, it does look simple, but that's easy to remedy by finding some rocks outside. Just make sure you clean them.
I do think it's nice to give them more things in their tank for enrichment purposes. After all, if you never take them out, they are stuck in their boring box all day! lol.

-Brandon

fl00dedlungs

Original Poster
Ok. So the Pangea fixture, will my brand new 24 inch (NON HO) reptisun fit into that.
He is in a 40 gallon breeder

fl00dedlungs

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ll2nf3g said:
Your right the tank is a little bland and I would be upgrading -- he looks too big for that tank --- I would look at getting him into a 75 - 120 gallon if you can afford it - something bigger than what he is in -- you can try FB marketwatch and craigslist for tanks and I recommend one w/ front doors --if you find one there you would need to sanitize it really good before use ---- in the meantime the under the counter fixture isnt doing him any good those UVB rays are going everywhere but him -- you need one w/ a reflector -- you can check out this fixture / hood from http://www.pangeareptiles.com I would get the 24" fixture --- that way if you upgrade your tank it will work --- for $32 it is a good buy
-- I know you said you were looking for something shorter???? Like a 20" fixture / hood--- I would stay w/ the 24" ---- the bulb you have now is a 22' thats in the tank ? For decor check out Petsmart they have really nice decor for dragons --- is he in a 40 gallon tank or a 30 gallon tank?
Karrie

?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes that's a good reflector. And are the pictures still there of your beardie and his cage ? I can't see them when I click the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom