Is my Beardie sick or is this normal for some beardies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancyfly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I spray her worms with a calcium spray recommended but the pet store also i have to redo her tank as I bought her with the tank and the tank is really crappy.I clean her tank everyday right now and I have to go buy her all new stuff for her tank could this be causing her problems. I know the sand shes on is all wrong but I just bought her the other day and haven't been able to go yet. What does she need in particular as i have another beardie in a different cage and plan on keeping it that way but does she need something specific ? She can close her mouth all the way she just opens alot

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
a lot of pet stores won't carry liquid calcium. You can order some online, one good site is beautifuldragons.org. It also has a lot of otehr good information. As far as substrate, I use slate tiles.. easy to clean and help file their nails. You can also use outdoor carpet/repticarpet and even paper towel for now.

Do you know of any reptile vets near you?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
This I can help with. If she is suffering from lack of UVB, than a shot of calcium will do her a world of good, even if you are powdering her foods with cal.. What kind of cal are you using ?
Also, a cheap way to go for substrate right now would be paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner, the kind that doesn't have holes in them, or for the long run, you can place sealed ceramic tiles (lowes will cut for free if you buy from them) and just remove weekly for a thorough cleaning, a baby wipe to clean on the spot during the week.
Hope this helps out !
Hugs !
Janie.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
fancyfly":47cf9 said:
I spray her worms with a calcium spray recommended but the pet store also i have to redo her tank as I bought her with the tank and the tank is really crappy.I clean her tank everyday right now and I have to go buy her all new stuff for her tank could this be causing her problems. I know the sand shes on is all wrong but I just bought her the other day and haven't been able to go yet. What does she need in particular as i have another beardie in a different cage and plan on keeping it that way but does she need something specific ? She can close her mouth all the way she just opens alot
Ok the spray your using isnt really great as the calcium staple.Generally its used as a booster for veggies.I recommend either ordering her some liquid calcium or getting her repcal calcium w/D3 phosphorous free and also she will need some herptivite multivitamin also by repcal.The absolute best light for her would be an MVB bulb like the Megaray or TRex Active Heat as it emots both UVB and heat from one source and is hands down the best kind of UVB you can get other then natural sun.The only problem is that the tank MUST be 40 breeder size or better and has a minimum distance requirement of 12-18 inches depending on the wattage.If you dont go with that then go with the reptiSUN 10.0 linear TUBE uvb.Stay away from any coil or compacts lights they can be hazzardous and wont emit what she needs.Actually I wouldnt even go with anything other then the Reptisun tube in regards to fluorescent UVB bulbs anyway.Switch out the sub for a solid substrate.For now you can use papertowels but you can also use non adhesive shelf liner or slate tile or any other rough tile that she wont slip on.If she is gaping alot it is also possible her temps are off so be sure to double check the temps.The stick on or dial tyoe thermometers are pretty much useless.What you want is a digital probe thermometer that you can lay directly in the basking surface.Ideal temps for an adult would be basking SURFACE temp of 95-105F and cool end of 75-80F.If you want to find a good reptile vet try herpvetconnection.com to locate one in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom