Is my Beardie sick or is this normal for some beardies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancyfly

Hatchling Member
Hello I just bought a beardie off a women the other day and I think she might be sick. Her stool is very runny and it looks like there is some mucus in it, she seems to have a jaw issue but her mouth is open a tiny bit alot she also smells funny like fairmones ( dont know how to spell that sorry) Any suggestions would be greaty appreciated . Thanks
Also I have a male and none of this is happening to him.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
can you post a picture of her jaw? do you know anything about her care before getting her? The runny-ness can be normal. Sometimes it just means that they're well hydrated as well as the mucus, in my opinion anyhow.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
If the stool smells and is runny then she most likely has parasites.As for the jaw when you say jaw issue can you be more specific?Is it mishapen,discolored,etc?How old is she?Do you know anything about her previous husbandry?Was she given UVB,calcium,proper feeding etc?

fancyfly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I dont think she was very well taken care of as the lady i bought her off of said she only likes lettuce but she loves super worms and crickets. do you know why she smells funny ? Also her jaws just weird its like she has a under bite

fancyfly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her stool doesnt smell its just runny.She eats and drinks fine and is very friendly and lovey

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
fancyfly":b99f4 said:
I dont think she was very well taken care of as the lady i bought her off of said she only likes lettuce but she loves super worms and crickets. do you know why she smells funny ? Also her jaws just weird its like she has a under bite
Ok I see.Well if it doesnt firm up after being in your care I would still get a fecal done to rule out parasites.Now as for the smell sometimes if they are kept in terrible conditions and not bathed regularly they can hold odor so the best thing to do is to bathe her frequently and scrub her gently with a very soft toothbrush.If thats all it is then the smell should fade however if she has mouth rot or an internal infection she could be releasing an odor as well so again might not be a bad idea to get her to the vet for a check up.As for the Jaw wat you are describing is generally a tell tale sign of MBD(metabollic bone disease) so she may need some liquid calcium and definately a good UVB source to get her back on track but if you dont have liquid calcium then for now you can dust her feeders 5xper week for 1 feeding per day to boost up her calcium levels.My best advice for you is get her to the vet she has multiple things going on here so it would be better to just get her on the right track as quickly as possible.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Fancyfly, go to photobucket.com, and open a free account. Post the photo there. Now, using the 4th URL, copy and paste in a post.
Hope this helps out.
Janie.

fancyfly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SDC10346.jpg
I think this will be the picture of her jaw. Here's hoping

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Fancy, this is beyond me, however I pm'd a Moderator to come help. Vickson already posted once here, so I asked her to take a peek to offer you some advice.
Janie.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
No not really normal at al.It does appear to be soft jaw deformity from MBD.What type of UVB do you have her inder now?Also what type/brand of calcium are you giving?She may not be able to ever close it correctly but this doesnt mean she cant live a full normal life if given the proper care.What type of substrate is she on?It looks like partical substrate,correct?Especially because of the odor and the stool issues I would get her on a solid substrate that can be cleaned more efficiently.What does the inside of her mouth look like?What color is it?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
fancyfly":fb419 said:
Thank you
No problem.Do you think you can get her into the vet for a calcium injection?I think that would be best for her at the moment.Like I said she is not so bad off that she cant live a healthy long life but it would be best to get her in there for both of you otherwise her recovery is going to be harder.I would love it if you would keep us posted on her progress.BTW she has a really cute little face and congrats.Problems and all I bet she will make a wonderful pet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom