Is it time to say goodbye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Don't let the vet do an enima on her in her weakened state, it's likely to kill her. Enimas are extreme and for only EXTREME impactions.

That is what happened to a friend's dragon who was impacted , enima , came home cold, limp and very very blackbeard and dark , and gasping for breath, dead 2 hours later ( this was a vet who bignoted himself about years of experience as zoo's inhouse vet and how expert in "exotics" and reptiles he was ).

Make sure the vet is qualified to treat bearded dragons and is experienced with the species.

Beardiealice

Original Poster
claudiusx":38byd1qj said:
They are tough creatures that is for sure!

I wouldn't worry too much about the BM, it can take them awhile to pass things, especially older dragons, especially older dragons going through some health issues!

Thats good that shes holding her head up!

-Brandon

Thank you! And yes, I agree!

So I’m creating a food plan for her right now. At the moment, on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday she will get 2 tsp butternut squash, 1 tsp turkey, and vitamins/calcium. On Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday she’ll get 3 tsp of butternut. With this schedule, she’ll get 4 tsp of protein per week, which is just under 20% (being that she gets 21 tsp of food per week). Should I give her more calcium because of the MBD? I’ll be on the look out for some other good baby food veggies for that she’s not stuck with butternut squash all the time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
An enema for dragons is when a liquid is flushed up the cloaca to flush out an impaction.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardiealice":2zm8ieua said:
claudiusx":2zm8ieua said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the BM, it can take them awhile to pass things, especially older dragons, especially older dragons going through some health issues!

-Brandon

So I’m creating a food plan for her right now. At the moment, on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday she will get 2 tsp butternut squash, 1 tsp turkey, and vitamins/calcium. On Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday she’ll get 3 tsp of butternut. With this schedule, she’ll get 4 tsp of protein per week, which is just under 20% (being that she gets 21 tsp of food per week). Should I give her more calcium because of the MBD? I’ll be on the look out for some other good baby food veggies for that she’s not stuck with butternut squash all the time.

If you think she's impacted , NO SOLIDS are to pass her lips , until you get the vet's OK to get her back onto solids.
They will only add to the putrifying mass of fecal materials in her GIT.

I'd be looking at getting her onto Oxbow Critical Care (Carnivore) or HerpaBoost and getting calcium into her using CalciVet.
These are all very good and designed for very ill reptiles and come as liquids or slurries. HerpaBoost must be yummy as I had no problem getting my rescues to eat it. And CalciVet is very sweet and they love it's taste.

I've used the last two for a few rescues and they made a HUGE difference and brought critically ill skinks back from the brink.
My latest is Fluffy the eastern water skink who has become a fabulous and ubertame pet and been with me as a pampered skink for nearly 3 years now. We didn't think she see the night out in her first two weeks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardiealice":3npoey0i said:
claudiusx":3npoey0i said:

-Brandon

Sounds like a good plan. See how she reacts to it. You really dont need to worry too much about protein percentages. And I'd recommend against the carnivore care suggested. High protein diets like you see in the carnivore care lead to issues with adults. Especially adults with health issues. It is fine for young dragons and other reptiles who have higher protein requirements. Your baby food idea is best.

Idk how the whole impaction enema topic got brought up, but like I mentioned, 5 days is NOT out of the ordinary for an adult dragon.

Just keep the positive vibes going :)

-Brandon

Beardiealice

Original Poster
claudiusx":2261j9ch said:
An enema for dragons is when a liquid is flushed up the cloaca to flush out an impaction.

-Brandon

Thank you for explaining :)
kingofnobbys":2261j9ch said:
Beardiealice":2261j9ch said:
claudiusx":2261j9ch said:

-Brandon

If you think she's impacted , NO SOLIDS are to pass her lips , until you get the vet's OK to get her back onto solids.

I'd be looking at getting her onto Oxbow Critical Care (Carnivore) or HerpaBoost and getting calcium into her using CalciVet.
These are all very good and designed for very ill reptiles and come as liquids or slurries. HerpaBoost must be yummy as I had no problem getting my rescues to eat it. And CalciVet is very sweet and they love it's taste.

I've used the last two for a few rescues and they made a HUGE difference and brought critically ill skinks back from the brink.

I couldn’t find herpaboost or calcivet on Amazon..would you suggest these over baby food? Cc brought her back for deaths door (no joke), but if it raises her chance of gout I’d rather not have her on it. Considering she got to running around and being wild again, yet she still wouldn’t eat, I need a long term plan.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If she test for gout and she has it you can use herbivore - it's greens -- she would need a low protein diet-- watering it down good would keep her hydrated and push it out--- you can talk w/ your vet and Tracie would be good to consult-- but please don't let the vet do an enema-- it's too hard on them - 5 days is not that long
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":hdzsfwue said:
If she test for gout and she has it you can use herbivore - it's greens -- she would need a low protein diet-- watering it down good would keep her hydrated and push it out--- you can talk w/ your vet and Tracie would be good to consult-- but please don't let the vet do an enema-- it's too hard on them - 5 days is not that long
Karrie

Agree. Just keep up with the baby food plan or use a herbivore version. Carnivore care has too much protein.

-Brandon

Beardiealice

Original Poster
KarrieRee":lcuee7n1 said:
Karrie

Okay. I absolutely won’t let an enema happen. She’s gone much, much longer in the past anyway. Plus, her belly is nice and squishy. I wasn’t too worried about an impaction since she’s only been getting pastes. My concern was more around the functionality of her gut.
claudiusx":lcuee7n1 said:
KarrieRee":lcuee7n1 said:

Agree. Just keep up with the baby food plan or use a herbivore version. Carnivore care has too much protein.

-Brandon

I think I’ll go with the baby food for now unless she starts to really look sickly.

Thanks for all of the support. I’m a lot more confident in her health now. I feel like we’re a bit closer to getting her on track. I really need her to start eating on her own though because I’m two years I’ll be off to college, and I don’t know how much my parents will like syringe feeding her or how much time I’d have to do that. But again, thank you so much!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan. Shes doing much better it sounds than when you first posted :) progress is progress.

I will say they do get a bit lazy, and start to like being hand fed the baby food. When I was nursing one of my girls back to health, one way I weened her off the slurries and back to regular food was I'd start dipping her worms into the slurry. Once she tasted her slurry, shed eat the worm. And over the next week or two I just started adding less and less slurry onto the worms until she was back to eating on her own.

Must some food for thought for the future when shes feeling better! At least that's what we are all hoping for :)

-Brandon

Beardiealice

Original Poster
claudiusx":ktbrys4m said:
Sounds like a good plan. Shes doing much better it sounds than when you first posted :) progress is progress.

I will say they do get a bit lazy, and start to like being hand fed the baby food. When I was nursing one of my girls back to health, one way I weened her off the slurries and back to regular food was I'd start dipping her worms into the slurry. Once she tasted her slurry, shed eat the worm. And over the next week or two I just started adding less and less slurry onto the worms until she was back to eating on her own.

Must some food for thought for the future when shes feeling better! At least that's what we are all hoping for :)

-Brandon

Alright, I’ll try that sometime. Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardiealice":3s07hx9u said:
claudiusx":3s07hx9u said:

-Brandon

Thank you for explaining :)
kingofnobbys":3s07hx9u said:
Beardiealice":3s07hx9u said:
claudiusx":3s07hx9u said:

-Brandon

I couldn’t find herpaboost or calcivet on Amazon..would you suggest these over baby food? Cc brought her back for deaths door (no joke), but if it raises her chance of gout I’d rather not have her on it. Considering she got to running around and being wild again, yet she still wouldn’t eat, I need a long term plan.

Try Ebay . I am sure there are sellers who stock VetaFarm products in the USA . Amazon is worthless wrt this stuff .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom