Introducing Daisy :) *pic heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our darling Daisy. Technically she is my daughters but I lay claim to her when she is at school, lol. She is about 2 months I think and I have no idea what kind she is. For now her name is Daisy until we can tell sex but even after that they name will probably stick. Haha. My daughter is completely in love with her!

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
:blob8: :blob5: YAY for the photos!! :blob5: :blob8:

Oh my, Hello there Daisy! What beautiful colors and OMG those eyes!! Very Very pretty!

Please tell us more! How did you (or your daughter) acquire her? What size tank do you have her in and all the brands, watts, etc of bulbs, heat, and substrate etc are you using? Just as importantly are you using a temperature gun to take the temps in her tank or just going by a gauge on the tank?

Also, have you measured her from her mouth the the end of her tail... if so, how long is she? Do you guys hold her every day and how much fun/how cool is that?

Yeah, I know I'm like a 3 year old kid with all my questions, lol. Daisy is definitely a beautiful lizard though!! How awesome!

Thanks so much for sharing and what amazing photos you have shared as well! Wooo Hooo!! CONGRATULATIONS!! :D Please though, tell us more!

Mwilliams32931

Original Poster
I purchased her at a locally owned pet store and she is about 7 1/2 inches from mouth to tail. Right now she is in a 10 gallon tank kit that we got from the pet store. It is from Zilla

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/basic-desert-kit.htm

We hold her everyday and the kids get such a laugh when she climbs up their shirts to perch on their shoulders. She is more and more active everyday but is a little bit of a picky eater. She loves mealworms since that is what she was fed at the pet store but I am getting her crickets this week. From reading posts on this website I need to just go ahead and start breading my own crickets. Lol. I am already looking to get her a bigger tank and to add things to it.

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
Yes, I know and can tell that you are pretty proud of Daisy even yourself, hehe.

About the Zilla cage, I certainly understand why you bought that to start out. Just a huge recommendation and some wisdom I have already gained in my short time as a beardie owner myself... I hope you kept your receipt for the Zilla reptile cage and still got the box and all. Because If so, I would take it ALL back just as soon as you upgrade (Pssst: a little secret: Zilla is garbage, especially their 'starter kits')

You don't need to spend a fortune however to get what you need and what you have should work until you get it all. Amazon and your local hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot can save you a fortune over the pet stores. Please read this intro thread where I posted in it and I revealed him my cage photos and my advice for him as to what and where to buy good stuff for a cage: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=202098

As far as a cage, rather then looking at pet stores for a bigger cage, I would check out your local craigslist for 20 gallon or preferably a 40 gallon reptile cage, as this would save you a fortune. Then read my long post in that thread I linked you to above for what to buy, where to look, and why.

What you buy for Daisy IS very important, so please don't take it all lightly. Also don't take it as criticism, because it's not at all, I am just trying to help you give your loved new pet a happy and healthy long life for years to come!

Oh, another thing... the live food. No more meal worms please. They give your beardie like zero nutritional value and have a high risk of impaction. If you don't know what "impaction" is, there is a good article here: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/

Also, I was considering breeding crickets at first too. I'd highly recommend breeding Dubia roaches however as they don't stink nearly as bad, are easier to breed, they are easier to catch, can't climb or jump, or fly and best of all, they are much better to feed your beardie. There are many articles about them on these forums and on YouTube as well. Watch a few YouTube videos on the benefits of dubia roaches over crickets... here is a good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReJQh9P0Rmc That's just one video of tons of videos about them that can be found on YouTube.

Oh well, that's enough for now, and I hope that helps you! Please feel free to ask any questions or raise any concerns you might have. We are here to help you! :D

Mwilliams32931

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice! I did look into Dubia roaches but I live in Florida and they are illegal here :? I am thinking of looking into some other the other worms I've seen mentioned on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom