Infertile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnikolex

I have recently taken in a male and female beardie. Both are in pretty bad shape and severely underweight and malnourished. 37cm and about 100g each. Anyways I have rekitted out their viv with correct temps and lighting. UVB 12% arcadia and basking spot 40 degrees with cooler end about 28 degrees Celsius.
They are brother and sister (i think) and I will be separating them, but they are nearly 2 years old (so I've been told) and they havent tried to mate yet.
Is it possible that due to being malnourished they are infertile? or at least one is? I know in anorexic human adults it can happen but would possibly regain fertility would this be similar to dragons?
I have no plans to breed them and most definitely not breed them together just curious seen as they've apparently not even tried.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
While they could be, it does not sound like they are full grown. I am not familiar with stunted growth if that might be the case. Once returned to health, I dont see why their reproductive systems would not be functional.

xnikolex

Original Poster

I spoke to my vet today who said that animals have such a keen instinct it may be she knows shes not healthy enough to carry a clutch so she wont breed. She may be able to in future but she will know herself.

Don't think Id be able to do that to her though she my little girl. But clears up a query I had :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom